collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by The Edge
[Today at 10:26:27 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by andyh
[Today at 10:25:59 PM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Steve67
[Today at 10:25:21 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:07:52 PM]

150 celebrations by curiousorange
[Today at 10:05:45 PM]

Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 10:02:18 PM]

NSWE Investment by Somniloquism
[Today at 09:31:36 PM]

Who should create the Atmosphere? by Pat McMahon
[Today at 09:31:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Villa enlist Glenn Roeder  (Read 27902 times)

Offline godzvilla

Villa enlist Glenn Roeder
« on: April 06, 2011, 03:39:19 AM »

Got this from the BBC Gossip this morning ( D.Mirror story ) ......

Under-pressure Gerard Houllier has surprisingly turned to Glenn Roeder to help Aston Villa beat the drop.

Villa are just two points above the Premier League bottom three ahead of Sunday's crunch home game with Newcastle.

But Roeder's CV is littered with relegations after being sacked by Watford, West Ham and Norwich either before or after going down.

He left his last job in charge of the Canaries in January 2009 before they were eventually relegated to League One.

But Villa manager Houllier has opted to give Roeder, 55, a scouting role and the ex-defender has become a regular at the club's training ground.

Roeder is spending his time watching Villa's forthcoming opponents and analysing their strengths and weaknesses.

He puts his information in a dossier for Houllier to then prepare Villa accordingly on the training ground.

Roeder has not yet got involved with any coaching at the club and that is not part of his mandate.
But assistant manager Gary McAllister's methods and out-spoken style have not endeared him to Villa's under-performing squad.

I,m suprised ( I guess I,m not really ! )  that none of the local rags  have picked up on the fact that Roeder has " become a regular at the club's training ground " . No doubt there will be a lot of ' between the lines ' speculation going on but I for one am not unhappy that he is helping out nor would I be too disappointed if he eventually replaced the hapless Garry Mac . For all his faults Roeder  is recognised as a good coach , despite being sacked by Newcastle he had a relatively good record there ........................Godzvilla!

Offline Tucson Villain

• GM : 21.01.2022
Re: Villa enlist Glenn Roeder
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 03:43:09 AM »
Got to be bleedin' kidding.

Offline Holtenderinthesky

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 03:44:37 AM »
Gerard Houllier, Gary McAllister and Glenn Roeder.  Yuk.  What has happened to our club?

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 03:49:30 AM »
From Despair to Where?

Soon we will be signing Dean Windass to partner Bent.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 04:39:45 AM »
cue uncontrolled hysteria from some that the walls of Villa are crumbling around us. Honestly, is this really a big deal?

Offline austin

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 04:47:24 AM »
yep roeder was a chronic failure as a coach and manager when what we need is winners.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 05:50:04 AM »
Personally I think half of the jobs in football are bollox. Directors of football, scout this, scout that.

Paying people gods knows how much to watch forthcoming opponents and preparing dossiers ? Dont managers and the senior coaching staff have TVs and subscriptions to Sky, ESPN etc ?

Clubs create and hand out posts to those out of work who have got bored on the golf course.
Modern football is like the Westminster village, a group of out of touch individuals providing work for each other so they can all pretend they are doing something useful. Most of it is just a form of networking where they spend their days talking rubbish and spouting platitudes to enable them all to keep their snout in the trough.

Pay me just £500 a week and my expenses and I will go round watching all the games. OK I dont have a deep tactical knowledge of football, but I bet if I just listen to the radio and TV too I can bullshit my way through and the dossier I present is no more and no less useful. As I say, its all bollox.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 05:52:33 AM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Offline Rancid custard

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 06:16:53 AM »
The thing is I wouldn't have much faith in his scouting reports, tactically he's not the sharpest tool in the shed and his win rate is a bit dire, this is the person who'll be giving Houllier dossiers on how to beat teams?!

Offline Apyadg

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 06:29:52 AM »
Personally I think half of the jobs in football are bollox. Directors of football, scout this, scout that.

Paying people gods knows how much to watch forthcoming opponents and preparing dossiers ? Dont managers and the senior coaching staff have TVs and subscriptions to Sky, ESPN etc ?

This might surprise you after a few years of O'Neill, but some teams have scouts actually leave Britain and look for players who aren't on Match of the Day every week.

Online Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2011, 06:58:07 AM »

This might surprise you after a few years of O'Neill, but some teams have scouts actually leave Britain and look for players who aren't on Match of the Day every week.

I said half the jobs, I have no problem with a scouting network abroad. The report said he is specifically employed to watch upcoming opposition, the last time I checked (Rapid Vienna at home in August) we had no upcoming opposition in competitive games from teams abroad for the remainder of this season or for the foreseable future !

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 06:59:44 AM »
I can only imagine the faces of the players if he appeared on the training ground, the word "success" is just not in his vocabulary.

Offline *shellac*

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 07:01:12 AM »
I can only imagine the faces of the players if he appeared on the training ground, the word "success" is just not in his vocabulary.
or "mid-table obscurity".

Online Ian.

• GM : 07.10.2024
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 07:06:47 AM »
cue uncontrolled hysteria from some that the walls of Villa are crumbling around us. Honestly, is this really a big deal?
Uncontrolled hysteria? What you suggesting Toronto? Never in a million years would that happen on here.

Offline richard moore

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 08:02:58 AM »

Clubs create and hand out posts to those out of work who have got bored on the golf course.
Modern football is like the Westminster village, a group of out of touch individuals providing work for each other so they can all pretend they are doing something useful. Most of it is just a form of networking where they spend their days talking rubbish and spouting platitudes to enable them all to keep their snout in the trough.

Pay me just £500 a week and my expenses and I will go round watching all the games. OK I dont have a deep tactical knowledge of football, but I bet if I just listen to the radio and TV too I can bullshit my way through and the dossier I present is no more and no less useful. As I say, its all bollox.

I agree totally, particularly after listening to Ray Wilkins last night - what a numpty, stating the bleedin' obvious over and over

I often think the same when I watch clips of teams training - they never look like they are doing anything more than knocking the ball around to each other and sharing jokes

I have stopped listening to any pre-, during, or post-match analysis of any sort. I sit down to watch a game as the teams come out, go to the loo at half time or do the washing up and turn off immediately the final whistle sounds. Works a treat!

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 08:18:22 AM »
Don't see the problem in him doing some scouting for us. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal