collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ireland  (Read 12823 times)

Offline UsualSuspect

Ireland
« on: October 23, 2010, 06:52:30 PM »
I know you don't want to be at Villa and would much rather be having your eyebrows threaded or getting more shit tattoos - but at least could you try and look fucking interested

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Ireland
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2010, 06:59:59 PM »
Bit harsh, I don't think he's not trying.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 07:03:47 PM »
Couple of things with this.

IMO you'll only see the best of Ireland when Gabby is back.

Ireland needs a pacy forward for his throughballs, I'm not just making this up as we saw it with him and Robinho at City.

Remember someone like Modric who I think is a similar player to Ireland wasn't pulling up any trees in his first few months at Spurs so we have to factor in a settling in process.

Offline TheSandman

• GM : May, 2013
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 07:07:54 PM »
Needs time to bed in. That is why I wasn't keen on the idea of him coming into the team as a starter or the particularly laughable suggestion of him replacing Petrov.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 07:08:40 PM »
Harsh indeed.  The lad has hardly played in 12-months and will need to time to both get his sharpness back and also integrate with the team.

His/our problem is that the role he plays is such a crucial one (the attacking lynchpin) that it will be hard for us to carry him for a long period, however I think our patience will be rewarded.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 07:11:11 PM by Dante Lavelli »

Offline D.boy

• GM : Jan, 2013
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 07:31:53 PM »
Ireland will come good, give him a chance. Getting on his back will not help the bloke.
Following the last 3 seasons we now have high expectations and become disgruntled when we aren't beating teams we expect us to.
We need to accept this season will be a transitional one with a finish around 7th-10th and hopefully we can have a good run in the cups.

Offline supertom

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 07:52:57 PM »
Needs time. Needs the team to really click into Gerards way of playing too, to get the best out of him.

Also, lets not forget, he's only played a couple of times in his best position. His first couple of months here, he was played far too deep.

He'll be alright, and he's a quality player.

Offline Can Gana Be Bettered!?!?

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 08:27:57 PM »
Nothing about not being interested, more a case of not being good enough and not fit to lace the boots of Milner.

Offline fredm

• GM : 02.09.2024
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 08:55:16 PM »
See "Downing - Season 2009/10." and compare with Season 2010 - 11.

Needs time to get match fit and used to playing with the others.  Tried a couple of through balls today that were just cut out otherwise (forget who) would have been through on goal.  Lacked a bit of pace when he was through and tried to turn back inside and lost the ball.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 09:35:52 PM »
Nothing about not being interested, more a case of not being good enough and not fit to lace the boots of Milner.

Different type of player, when he's up and running he'll give us more going forward than Milner ever did. We'll need NRC to keep playing well (and ideally Petrov upgraded) for the midfield to click.

Offline jibba81

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 09:46:45 PM »
I think X footballer is only putting Y amount of effort and blah blah blah

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2010, 12:00:16 AM »
Ladies and gentlemen, presenting the latest fan's scapegoat.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2010, 12:05:59 AM »
Against Chelsea, he was continually getting frustrated at not getting the ball, constantly looking for it, and frequently making use of space to pop up in useful positions.

The problem was that we weren't getting the ball to him anything like enough. When we did, he invariably did something useful with it.

It seems more than a little harsh to write a player off after a handful of games having moved from a club he'd spent his entire career at. If a player consistently doesn't do it for us, then it's fair enough to have a moan at him, but it seems a little bit much to do so when the player has only been here five minutes.

We were doing the same at Downing last season, and - in my opinion - he has been our best player this season so far.

Offline phantom limb

• GM : 05.02.2021
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2010, 02:08:03 AM »
Absolute cobblers - he's a very good player trying to adapt to a new team. You'll be sucking him off once the goals start going in.

Online taylorsworkrate

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 02:25:48 AM »
I really think this is all very harsh.  He barely played last season, has come into a club which was in chaos at the time and he's been played out of position for most of his games.

He is a quality player without question who was treated incredibly badly at Citeh.  He is the sort of character who won't respond well to people getting on his back after a couple of sub par performances.

Get behind him and we'll soon see the creative type of player we've not had since probably Merse.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal