collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Speedway - A different kind of sport  (Read 55369 times)

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
Speedway - A different kind of sport
« on: October 05, 2010, 09:51:24 AM »
When I was younger I used to go to the Birmingham Brummies speedway at Perry Barr and loved it, the noise the smell the atmosphere. Then it closed. Its back now i know. I was watching the final last night between Poole Pirates and Coventry Bees. Bees were leading from first leg by 12 points but in that sport that can easily be overcome. Coventry won comfortably in the end but a few things struck me about the sport. during one race Harris (Coventry) came off his bike at full pelt and was run over by his team mate, it looked horrendus, ambulance on track etc. minutes later Hariis rises, then runs to the pits to get his bike. The heat was restarted and he one in spectacular fashion. (He must have been hurting) The second point was that if their bikes arn,t up to scratch they borrow a team mates. The third point was a great display by a 19 year old Polish rider. I hardly saw an english rider. In the end Coventry won easily. What a display.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
Re: Speedway - A different kind of sport
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 10:14:39 AM »
When i was a babby it was a family outing to the speedway, Living on the Beeches it was a cut through the gully onto Walsall rd and a brisque walk. Graham Warren, Tiger Hart were heroes and it was very affordable.
Dad always made us walk back which was a pain.

Offline sfx412

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2010, 10:33:47 AM »
God I'm old.
As a little kid I used to stand at the bottom of the steps at the Alex sports ground and run up them as the riders spewed the shale over the fence. Never forgot the smells and noise, or moms chastisement as she scrubbed me clean.
Then when it started up again at the Perry Barr stadium we went regularly to watch the spills and action, even though it was Div 2 and not the best quality rides. Remember the noise, the smell, the camaraderie, the music, the freshly cooked doughnuts and the ride home on my Norton.
Every time I hear Chirpy, Chirpy Cheap, Cheap on the radio my mind flashes back to standing on the straight at the start finish line.
Villa during the winter, Brummies in the summer, happy times.

Offline villasjf

• GM : Sep, 10
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 10:37:27 AM »
« Last Edit: October 05, 2010, 10:40:56 AM by villasjf »

Offline Rip Van We Go Again

• Location: Up and down, i'm up the wall, i'm up the bloody tree
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 10:58:45 AM »
Used to go in the 70's, still go now and again, it's a good night.

Offline Small Rodent

• GM : 30.11.2024
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 12:22:31 PM »
Used to go in the late 70s, early 80s to Boston Barracudas in Lincolnshire.

Offline Tucson Villain

• GM : 21.01.2022
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2010, 02:17:39 PM »
Used to go to Cradley in the early, mid 80's.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2010, 03:04:01 PM »

Villa during the winter, Brummies in the summer, happy times.

Went in the 70's for about 3 seasons with a school friend. Strangely, had in my memory it was a winter sport. Recall George Major and Dane Parsons. Remember catching the bus back to Sutton at the end. I was early to mid teens. Couldn't imagine letting my kids do that journey at night time now.

Offline Warren Aspinall

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2010, 06:06:58 PM »
When I was younger I used to go to the Birmingham Brummies speedway at Perry Barr and loved it, the noise the smell the atmosphere. Then it closed. Its back now i know. I was watching the final last night between Poole Pirates and Coventry Bees. Bees were leading from first leg by 12 points but in that sport that can easily be overcome. Coventry won comfortably in the end but a few things struck me about the sport. during one race Harris (Coventry) came off his bike at full pelt and was run over by his team mate, it looked horrendus, ambulance on track etc. minutes later Hariis rises, then runs to the pits to get his bike. The heat was restarted and he one in spectacular fashion. (He must have been hurting) The second point was that if their bikes arn,t up to scratch they borrow a team mates. The third point was a great display by a 19 year old Polish rider. I hardly saw an english rider. In the end Coventry won easily. What a display.

I thought he was a cert for hospitalisation, last nights final was some of the best speedway of the year for 10 heats then the unbreakable 'bomber' Harris turned the screw in covs favour.

Offline Downseyboy

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2010, 01:06:05 PM »
Of course dear old Doug was promotor of Birmingham Speedway in about 1960

Offline avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2010, 04:43:21 PM »
Been going to Speedway for 30plus years...not everyones cup of tea I know but have always loved it. As a Poole fan it was gutting to see them "lose" the league. Finish top of the League by 20 points and lose the "league title" in a play off against the team that finished 4th (and very strongly...good side).

Fair play to Coventry, those are the rules but unfortunately Sky have interfered far too much with the make up of the league and the introduction of the play off's. Keeps it interesting to the end, which of course Sky wanted, but makes a farce of the league.

No brakes, fearless riding...they should show a clip of the Harris incident to Drogba. No moans, no groans, wipe yourself down and get on with it...

Offline Warren Aspinall

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2010, 07:49:24 PM »
This is why Speedway is great.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2010, 09:57:36 PM »
Used to go to Cradley in the early, mid 80's.
My old man used to take me there around the same time.  I'm not really that into motorsports but there was a great atmosphere.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 01:43:29 PM »
I remember a mate of mine at school went to see the World Speedway final at Wembley ( musy have been between 1979-1981). There were 100,000 there.

I can remember Bruce Penhall ( didn't he move from Cradely Heath to being the star of CHIPS?) and Ivan Majors ( spelling?) the Polish, Kiwi hero, Hans neilsen and Davbe Jessup

and Ole Ollsen.

Used to be able to hear the bikes racing from our house

Offline Downseyboy

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 12:45:29 PM »
I was at that Wembley Final - all those airhorns made it a much better atmosphere than watching
football there.

I think that final was probably a high point of British Speedway and its all been downhill since then.
Only two British riders have had the potential to be genuine superstars but both failed, Michael
Lee due to a drugs problem and Kenny Carter blew his brains out after shooting dead his wife.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal