collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Speedway - A different kind of sport  (Read 55363 times)

Offline Warren Aspinall

Re: Speedway - A different kind of sport
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 07:41:37 PM »
http://sports.ladbrokes.com/en-gb/speedway/speedway-grand-prix/2011-speedway-grand-prix-e214529272

All the betting for next years GP's if anyones interested.

The Russian at 7/1 looks tidy for me.

Offline Bald Eagle

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2010, 07:57:59 PM »
I fancy Crump at 7-2 to win it. A little bit each-way on Holder at 33-1.

Offline Warren Aspinall

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2010, 11:38:16 PM »
I fancy Crump at 7-2 to win it. A little bit each-way on Holder at 33-1.

Sounds like a plan ;)

Offline Warren Aspinall

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 10:19:47 AM »
Birmingham Brummies have been promoted to the Elite League, should be an exciting time for Speedway in this City. Especially with derbys against Wolves & Coventry.

British Speedway site

Offline Linus

« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2010, 08:14:48 PM »
Except that Coventry will probably not be running next season...

Offline Warren Aspinall

« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2010, 08:40:27 PM »
Except that Coventry will probably not be running next season...

Just googled this & nothing, do you have inside info.

Offline Linus

« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2010, 08:43:32 PM »
At the sport's AGM at the weekend, some decision were made that 2 teams just couldn't live with (rumoured to be over assessed and converted averages for new signings), and Coventry and Peterborough walked out. Hasty plans have been made to bring the Elite League up to 8 (the minimum number stipulated by Sky) by creating a new team, backed by the other 7, at either Oxford or Sittingbourne. Peterborough and Coventry would have their assets stripped from them, and neither would stage speedway in 2011, if indeed ever again. Not confirmed but VERY strong rumours.

Offline MonsXI

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2010, 06:14:53 PM »
At the sport's AGM at the weekend, some decision were made that 2 teams just couldn't live with (rumoured to be over assessed and converted averages for new signings), and Coventry and Peterborough walked out. Hasty plans have been made to bring the Elite League up to 8 (the minimum number stipulated by Sky) by creating a new team, backed by the other 7, at either Oxford or Sittingbourne. Peterborough and Coventry would have their assets stripped from them, and neither would stage speedway in 2011, if indeed ever again. Not confirmed but VERY strong rumours.

According to the Coventry Telegraph there was to be a meeting today to decide what will happen to both Cov and P'boro, no news as yet.

Offline avfcpg

• http://www.flashfitness.me
« Reply #23 on: December 30, 2010, 11:57:42 PM »

According to the Coventry Telegraph there was to be a meeting today to decide what will happen to both Cov and P'boro, no news as yet.

Coventry and Peterboro both threw hissy fits over the new average limits so withdrew from the league....now it seems they could be back in...ongoing talks with the BSPA.

Offline avfcpg

« Reply #24 on: December 31, 2010, 12:01:52 AM »
I was at that Wembley Final - all those airhorns made it a much better atmosphere than watching
football there.

I think that final was probably a high point of British Speedway and its all been downhill since then.
Only two British riders have had the potential to be genuine superstars but both failed, Michael
Lee due to a drugs problem and Kenny Carter blew his brains out after shooting dead his wife.

Peter Collins won the world title. Malcolm Simmons was runner up a few times....both superstars of Speedway but pre the era of Lee and Carter. Since then, yep we've been also rans...in fact not even that close.

Offline Warren Aspinall

« Reply #25 on: December 31, 2010, 06:45:46 AM »
I was at that Wembley Final - all those airhorns made it a much better atmosphere than watching
football there.

I think that final was probably a high point of British Speedway and its all been downhill since then.
Only two British riders have had the potential to be genuine superstars but both failed, Michael
Lee due to a drugs problem and Kenny Carter blew his brains out after shooting dead his wife.

Peter Collins won the world title. Malcolm Simmons was runner up a few times....both superstars of Speedway but pre the era of Lee and Carter. Since then, yep we've been also rans...in fact not even that close.

Apart from Mark Loram in 2000.

Offline avfcpg

« Reply #26 on: December 31, 2010, 11:29:42 AM »
Shame on me for leaving him out...never post when dosed up on copius amounts of lemsip and painkillers!! I'm a bloody lifetime Pirates fan as well...

Great rider was Loram. Brave as they come. Shame some horrific injuries ended it all early for him. Won the World Title without winning a single Grand Prix.

I guess Tai Woffenden is our next hope. Although I think Holder, Ward and Sibutinov will pose a greater challenge from the youngsters...

Offline Warren Aspinall

« Reply #27 on: December 31, 2010, 12:22:56 PM »
I think Woffinden long term, but if Harris can start next season aswell as he finished last year he may be a good outside bet. I think next years GP's will be the most open we've seen for a while, my moneys on the russian.

Offline avfcpg

« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2010, 02:36:09 PM »
I think Woffinden long term, but if Harris can start next season aswell as he finished last year he may be a good outside bet. I think next years GP's will be the most open we've seen for a while, my moneys on the russian.

Yes agree, should be a cracker. I'm on the Ruski as well. Harris is so frustrating. Looks nigh on unbeatable in the Elite League sometimes, then just is never consistent in the GP's. Bit of bias but Holder could be worth an E/W, the guy oozes class. 

Offline Linus

« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2011, 05:50:22 PM »
British GP apart, Holder bottles the big occasion. Harris's downfall is in that a lot of the GPs are on slick tracks, gater's paradises, and he's a racer.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal