collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our sources say.....  (Read 38252 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Our sources say.....
« on: August 27, 2010, 11:51:00 PM »
I've been having a few discussions with sources close to the Villa today, and here's the curent state of play:

Due to the timing of Martin's departure Kevin Mac was given the job on a short-term basis to provide stability and continuity. His knowledge of the players and success with the reserve team made this the logical choice, despite the last couple of results.

Interviews for the job will be taking place early next week. A manager could have been appointed already, but we don't want just anyone - we need someone who understands how important the job of Aston Villa manager is. The right guy is out there, but getting him takes time, and when he arrives he will take the club forward.

Above all the overall thinking, the long-term plans and ambitions of everyone at Villa Park haven't changed.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2010, 12:38:19 AM by dave.woodhall »

Offline diand

Re: Our sources say.....
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2010, 11:54:36 PM »
Thanks for that.  Pretty much what they said in the beginning.  If the club kept the fans informed a little more regularly they might help put a stop to the endless rumours. 

Offline Leighton

• Location: Walsall Wood. Home of the protesting Jesus on a telegraph pole.
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2010, 12:01:39 AM »
Please let them bring the right man in then. If we are set to sign any more players before the new manager arrives, I wonder if the board have told the shortlist of potential managers whom they will be coming to work with.

Bloody transfer windows. Pain in the arse!

Offline nechells

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2010, 12:15:17 AM »
So basicly your "scources" have used you in a pathetic attempt to pacify the fans.

"interveiwing" ffs

I can just imagine the scenario now:

"well Mr Jol-what do you do in your spare time?"

"I read books & play squash sir"

Offline oldMan

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2010, 12:20:50 AM »
So basicly your "scources" have used you in a pathetic attempt to pacify the fans.

"interveiwing" ffs

Surely its important to see if everyone gets on?

If the new manager thinks Randy is a twat there working relationship is not going to last 5 minuets is it?

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2010, 12:32:39 AM »
That is fair enough, even though it brought to mind Mandy Rice-Davies.

I can't pretend that I'm not concerned about some of the things that have happened (or not happened) over the summer and I'm not prepared to lay the blame for that entirely at the feet of the recently departed. But if the club's long-term plans and ambitions are intact, if the required investment is made available and if a very good manager is appointed, the truth or otherwise of our ambitions will become self-evident.

I had thought if we managed to keep Milner in the team we still had some room for improvement this season, even without further additions. If Ireland can play to his potential and a new manger can get us back to being very difficult to beat whilst adding some excitement into the mix, we could still be in for a decent season.

I'm trying very hard to look for positives at the moment and hearing that the senior figures in the club are happy to be judged on the long-term plans and ambitions they sold us on 4 years ago, is good news from my perspective. Now, with a bit of luck we'll get a win on Sunday and things will be looking a bit brighter by the time we play Stoke (anyone got a spare?  ;) )

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2010, 12:33:43 AM »

"interveiwing" ffs

I'm not entering into a debate. I'm reporting what I've been told; I don't consider that pathetic and neither do I consider myself to have been used.

Offline maidstonevillain

• GM : 26.11.2024
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2010, 12:41:11 AM »
I've been having a few discussions with sources close to the Villa today, and here's the curent state of play:

Due to the timing of Martin's departure Kevin Mac was given the job on a short-term basis to provide stability and continuity. His knowledge of the players and success with the reserve team made this the logical choice, despite the last couple of results.

Interviews for the job will be taking place early next week. A manager could have been appointed already, but we don't want just anyone - we need someone who understands how important the job of Aston Villa manager is. The right guy is out there, but getting him takes time, and when he arrives he will take the club forward.

Above all the overall thinking, the long-term plans and ambitions of everyone at Villa Park haven't changed.

Thanks Dave.

Offline hilts_coolerking

• GM : 26.07.2021
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2010, 12:50:15 AM »
Thanks for the info Dave.

My initial thought is that there's nothing surprising in all that.  But what on earth does "someone who understands how important the job of Aston Villa manager is" mean and what possible impact could that have on the selection process?  No self-respecting candidate is likely to walk into the interview and speak about the club in anything less than glowing terms. It could be deployed as a reason why a particular individual didn't get the job, I suppose, e.g. we get Curbishley instead of Eriksson - "the club felt that Mr Eriksson didn't fully understand how important the job of Aston Villa manager is".

I'm sure everyone at the club is doing what they think is best but some of the meaningless stuff they come out with at times to try to get the fans onside is exasperating.

Offline TRO

« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2010, 12:58:39 AM »
So Kevin Mac not the one then it seems.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2010, 12:59:07 AM »
I guess it's about finding somebody that will stick around rather than use the Villa job as a stepping stone, Hilts. Somebody that's not just doing it for the money (Sven?), somebody the Chairman can trust with his money, somebody that gives a damn.

Edit: Cheers, Dave.

Offline Villa'Zawg

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2010, 01:00:49 AM »
Thanks for the info Dave.

My initial thought is that there's nothing surprising in all that.  But what on earth does "someone who understands how important the job of Aston Villa manager is" mean and what possible impact could that have on the selection process?  No self-respecting candidate is likely to walk into the interview and speak about the club in anything less than glowing terms. It could be deployed as a reason why a particular individual didn't get the job, I suppose, e.g. we get Curbishley instead of Eriksson - "the club felt that Mr Eriksson didn't fully understand how important the job of Aston Villa manager is".

I'm sure everyone at the club is doing what they think is best but some of the meaningless stuff they come out with at times to try to get the fans onside is exasperating.

I think that having a manager who understands what it is to be Aston Villa manager is incredibly important. It isn't the same as being manager of any other club in the world, we are unique. It also isn't the same as just being able to speak about the club in glowing terms.

Whether "the selection panel" have the ability to tell the difference, I don't know.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2010, 01:02:10 AM »
I guess it's about finding somebody that will stick around rather than use the Villa job as a stepping stone, Hilts. Somebody that's not just doing it for the money (Sven?), somebody the Chairman can trust with his money, somebody that gives a damn.
And who would be daft enough to admit to anything else in a job interview? And what difference will it make in practical terms? I mean, no doubt Kevin MacDonald is more aware than any other candidate how important the Villa job is (whatever that means) but is he the best man for the job? Demonstrably not.

Offline hilts_coolerking

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2010, 01:04:33 AM »
I think that having a manager who understands what it is to be Aston Villa manager is incredibly important. It isn't the same as being manager of any other club in the world, we are unique. It also isn't the same as just being able to speak about the club in glowing terms.
How is it unique? What additional responsibilities does it carry that no other management job has? How did this come into play when we appointed Graham Turner, or O'Leary, or Billy McNeill?

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 01:09:33 AM »
How is it unique? What additional responsibilities does it carry that no other management job has? How did this come into play when we appointed Graham Turner, or O'Leary, or Billy McNeill?

The last two didn't understand, which is why they failed. Ron Saunders and Sir Graham understood, which in part is why they succeeded. BFR, Brian Little, and even John Gregory understood. I don't think O'Neill did.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal