collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by eamonn
[Today at 02:34:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by SamTheMouse
[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by SamTheMouse
[Today at 02:30:29 PM]

NSWE Investment by pablo_picasso
[Today at 02:29:55 PM]

Kits 23/24 by Smirker
[Today at 02:16:10 PM]

Snooker by Richard
[Today at 02:13:43 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 02:00:43 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by OCD
[Today at 01:13:17 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by eamonn
[Today at 02:34:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by SamTheMouse
[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by SamTheMouse
[Today at 02:30:29 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by pablo_picasso
[Today at 02:29:55 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by tomd2103
[Today at 02:27:05 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:18:03 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by itbrvilla
[Today at 02:17:11 PM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by Smirker
[Today at 02:16:10 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: FA Cup replays scrapped  (Read 2341 times)

Offline Aldridge Villa

Re: FA Cup replays scrapped
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2024, 04:34:35 PM »
Degradation of a great cup competition via taking away the chance of a once in a lifetime opportunity for many lower league players.

Offline danno

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2024, 04:35:50 PM »
I’ve had fifteen years to get used to it, but the 5:30 kick off time on cup final day still irritates me.

Scrapping replays for hundreds of clubs because six or seven have extra European games absolutely stinks.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2024, 04:41:09 PM »
Unfortunately it has long stopped been taken seriously by most PL clubs, including ours to be honest.  They only take it seriously when they get to the Semis.  And even then only over the past 30 years only 3 teams have won it that arent Man Utd, Liverpool, Man City, Arsenal or Chelease.

I would be all four the forth UCL spot going to the FA Cup winner - give it some of its estieem back. Apart from this season obvs.

As well as keeping replays, I also think they should have get rid of VAR, reintroduce away goals rule (apart from tonight obvs) and make the referees wear black.

It appears I have become old and grumpy at change.

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2024, 04:46:42 PM »
To repeat what I've said too many times before: the FA had the greatest, most loved domestic cup competition on the planet and then decides to kill it by a thousand cuts.  And for what? The behest of a handful of clubs who in any event have in recent times invariably made up most, if not all, of the semi-final line-up

Sport - and football in particular - is nothing without tradition, romance and, for those who support clubs far smaller than ours, the dream of that once-in-a-lifetime giant-killing or trip to Old Trafford, Anfield et al. 

Whilst I've never witnessed us win it, I'm grateful that at least I experienced the Cup when it was still everything that made it special.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 04:49:33 PM by TopDeck113 »

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2024, 04:48:33 PM »
Times change, but they make such a song and dance about the "Magic of the Cup" that surely replays are a massive part of that? If your ESL clubs can't be arsed with replays, just carry on putting reserve sides out, and if they get beaten by a minnow, so be it.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2024, 04:50:29 PM »
I’ve had fifteen years to get used to it, but the 5:30 kick off time on cup final day still irritates me.

Scrapping replays for hundreds of clubs because six or seven have extra European games absolutely stinks.

I don’t know about it stinking but Man City can put out two very good sides quite easily and their treble last season is proof to that. Competitions are competitions in their own right. They’re not designed around the whim of the more successful clubs and are not designed in a way that the most successful wins all of them.

Offline danno

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2024, 04:58:57 PM »

I don’t know about it stinking but Man City can put out two very good sides quite easily and their treble last season is proof to that. Competitions are competitions in their own right. They’re not designed around the whim of the more successful clubs and are not designed in a way that the most successful wins all of them.

In its current format, the FA Cup has no replays from the fifth round onwards, but the FA says the move to eliminate them from an earlier stage has been made "in light of changes to the calendar driven by the expanded Uefa competitions".

Who do you think that most pertains to?
The replays have been scrapped because the premier league clearly wanted it that way.
Is this a coincidence?
The agreement also sees the Premier League increasing its funding to grassroots football, with an additional £33m being provided.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2024, 05:00:21 PM »
What is this 'FA Cup' you speak of?

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2024, 05:14:31 PM »
The final has been fucked about with again and will now take place on the second last weekend of the season, on the Sat with every other match moved to the Sunday of that weekend.

Seeding will be next.

No chance how will manure draw us with that?

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2024, 05:32:13 PM »

I heard Gary Lineker on some podcast a few years ago saying players preferred the 5:30 kick off because it's not as hot then.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2024, 05:41:00 PM »
That's the price of progress. Toss everything in the bin in pursuit of winning but when that happens, what's left?

Let's stay at Villa Park
(winking thing)

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2024, 05:54:49 PM »
That's the price of progress profit. Toss everything in the bin in pursuit of winning but when that happens, what's left?

Let's stay at Villa Park
(winking thing)
FTFY

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2024, 06:43:35 PM »
Scrapping replays will allow more time for glamorous mid season friendlies in Saudi.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2024, 06:51:04 PM »
To help smaller clubs perhaps the lowest placed team should always be at home if they draw a premier league club?

If they going to implement this then the pl clubs should give all their money to the league one two and below clubs

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2024, 06:55:54 PM »
To help smaller clubs perhaps the lowest placed team should always be at home if they draw a premier league club?

If they going to implement this then the pl clubs should give all their money to the league one two and below clubs

A lot do. We did with Barrow for example

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal