collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:19:37 PM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Clampy
[Today at 06:17:55 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by paul_e
[Today at 06:17:18 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 06:13:51 PM]

VAR by martin o`who??
[Today at 06:10:11 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Champions League Contention by Risso
[Today at 06:38:48 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by lovejoy
[Today at 06:37:26 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 06:34:38 PM]

Re: Official Website by paul_e
[Today at 06:31:09 PM]

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 06:28:12 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 06:25:50 PM]

Re: Official Website by Chris Harte
[Today at 06:22:03 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 06:21:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa Post match interaction  (Read 16730 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa Post match interaction
« Reply #450 on: April 16, 2024, 01:08:47 PM »
Carlos was MOTM, on Sky at least.

Yep, I think it was Zaniolo on the OS?

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #451 on: April 16, 2024, 01:21:34 PM »
What's been interesting in the post-match press reports is that a number of our players have been lauded as one of the players of the week.

Zaniolo won POTM.
Martinez for his saves.
Tielemans as Arsenal's midfield couldn't get near him
Watkins for his finish, and all-round work-rate.
Carlos just for being immense again.

On top of that we know that the rest of the team all put a shift in too. Bailey was brilliant, Diaby worked hard in that first half, Digne was solid and got an assist, McGinn was just his usual self and Konsa was on it.

Honestly brilliant all over the park.

That pitch-side thing highlighted to me what a team player Rogers is, he congratulated Martinez after that save, pointed to Tielemans for the pass, congratulated others too, he's a great addition.

I thought our performance was ropey enough in the first half. That would have been the general consensus at half time on the match thread too. Thought were were completely outplayed in midfield and Odegaard caused a lot of problems.

But Carlos and Martinez were outstanding at the back to keep us in it. Rogers and Zaniolo were very good too even in the first half, when we did get out we looked dangerous and Arsenal seemed light in midfield with Havertz lost. Getting two of their back four booked early was good too, White and Gabriel were bullied by Zaniolo and Watkins thereafter.

Thought we schooled them on the pitch and sideline in the second half. Timing of Bailey sub was perfect.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #452 on: April 16, 2024, 01:25:56 PM »
Honestly, comparing that guy's analysis on FourFourTwo to the Sky coverage...I mean, God bless the guy, but it's been a while since I've seen Merson and I just cannot believe how inarticulate he is.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #453 on: April 16, 2024, 02:20:18 PM »
Monty think he is upset.

He has a lot of affection for Villa but Arsenal is his professional wife.

As for the game - I'd say Carlos, Tielemans and Zaniola haven't contributed enough quality this season overall. On Sunday they went a long way to putting that right. Well done.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #454 on: April 16, 2024, 03:28:18 PM »
I think even in the first half we did very well in possession, laying the foundations for what was to ensue in the second half; enjoying not quite the 'especially intimate relationship with the football' that Arsenal are of course renowned for, but enough to shut up the commentator and his mate for blissful periods of time.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #455 on: April 16, 2024, 03:58:18 PM »
Honestly, comparing that guy's analysis on FourFourTwo to the Sky coverage...I mean, God bless the guy, but it's been a while since I've seen Merson and I just cannot believe how inarticulate he is.

To be fair, Carragher did a pretty good job analysing our tactics vs Arsenal on the Monday night football last night. Certainly far better than those in the studio on Sunday. He highlighted similar things to the FourFourTwo bloke, especially the role of Martinez acting like an extra outfield player to break the press.  It was interesting that Martinez had the most touches of any goalkeeper against Arsenal in the league this season, basically because he was playing like a 3rd centre-back while we played out in the second half particularly.  He also pointed out that the second half was the only half of football Arsenal have played this season where their press didn't recover the ball in the final third AT ALL. Not once. That's how good we were at breaking their press in the second half.

I think the praise for Unai's tactical approach has been pretty much universal. And well deserved it is too.

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #456 on: April 16, 2024, 04:01:56 PM »
Yeah I enjoyed Carragher's analysis, to be fair. I like how he said we coped with playing against a top team by playing like one ourselves - chimes with what Ollie said after the Brentford disappointment about having a big team mentality. Emery's really got these guys believing.

Online danno

« Reply #457 on: April 16, 2024, 04:05:33 PM »
I think even in the first half we did very well in possession, laying the foundations for what was to ensue in the second half; enjoying not quite the 'especially intimate relationship with the football' that Arsenal are of course renowned for, but enough to shut up the commentator and his mate for blissful periods of time.

Haha, thanks for reminding me of that! definitely the most wtf of the afternoon up until the post match interviews.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #458 on: April 16, 2024, 04:44:04 PM »
Just finished watched the 3rd full 98minute rerun of the match (yea I know I am immature like that) I am amazed at how well our away fans kept up the noise throughout the match. Well done to all of you who were there.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #459 on: April 16, 2024, 04:45:30 PM »
And this is my favourite still from the game:

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #460 on: April 16, 2024, 04:53:01 PM »
we definitely left them feeling a little blue.

(no, not Craig Gardner)

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #461 on: April 16, 2024, 04:58:36 PM »
Just finished watched the 3rd full 98minute rerun of the match (yea I know I am immature like that) I am amazed at how well our away fans kept up the noise throughout the match. Well done to all of you who were there.

Bet Unai has done the same in re runs

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #462 on: April 16, 2024, 05:04:29 PM »
We were a bit noisy in the first half but even more so in the second...a bit like the Liverpool semi final at Wembley...you could just feel our pressure and momentum building and we were singing like f**k to somehow get us over the line!
A great classic away day!

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #463 on: April 16, 2024, 05:18:53 PM »
I think that I broke the world record for how many hugs in 2 minutes. Only interrupted by Ollie scoring. Wonderful atmosphere added to by the woman in the ladies screaming that she had been married to an Arsenal fan for 30 years and had been waiting for this day.  One of the best away days ever.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #464 on: April 16, 2024, 05:19:25 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal