collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: West Ham v Aston Villa post match  (Read 14343 times)

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
Re: West Ham v Aston Villa post match
« Reply #300 on: March 18, 2024, 05:33:18 PM »
Interestingly Gallagher on Sky this morning said that if VAR had decided that the handball was not deliberate and so was a valid goal then they would have defaulted to did Souchek foul Konza which apparently thought was obvious when he saw it live.  All comforting but if that the case why didn't they start there!

HE would have done Konsa foul, not necessarily the refs on the pitch would have.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #301 on: March 18, 2024, 06:47:27 PM »
He would have expected VAR to go back and look for interference yes because he thought it was a clear foul, but whether VAR having cleared the handball would have looked for anything else is doubtful.  Unlike when Ings goal was chalked off at Old Trafford

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #302 on: March 18, 2024, 07:53:54 PM »
He would have expected VAR to go back and look for interference yes because he thought it was a clear foul, but whether VAR having cleared the handball would have looked for anything else is doubtful.  Unlike when Ings goal was chalked off at Old Trafford
Yeah that still rankles with me. They were going to go back and find a reason to chalk that goal off no matter what. I thought 28 minutes was a bit much at the time and I stand by that.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #303 on: March 18, 2024, 08:46:10 PM »
Re the Bailey pen….i can understand the excuse for not giving it being that he was too close but according to Dermot Gallagher it was a natual arm position because he was pointing for a team mate…what a load of nonsense, his arm is out to make him a bigger target to get past

I didn't mind it not being given for the reasons above, if that is a consistent benchmark that is used.  You know full though that a pen will be given next week for something similar.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #304 on: March 18, 2024, 08:49:13 PM »
Cash performed well yesterday and is an integral part of the squad.  Can we improve on his position with a better standard of player? Too right we can and it's one area of the squad we need to look at. I'd still keep him mind>

Some of his better performances have been.when he has come on. I would probably keep him, but bring another RB in to mirror the Moreno / Digne combination on the left.

Offline Somniloquism

« Reply #305 on: March 18, 2024, 08:55:31 PM »
Re the Bailey pen….i can understand the excuse for not giving it being that he was too close but according to Dermot Gallagher it was a natual arm position because he was pointing for a team mate…what a load of nonsense, his arm is out to make him a bigger target to get past

I didn't mind it not being given for the reasons above, if that is a consistent benchmark that is used.  You know full though that a pen will be given next week for something similar.

But that is always the case for subjective decisions no matter what they are. We have seen at least 3 times Watkins pushed over when about to shoot and nothing given, this weekend it is a penalty and a red card. I expect in the recent case the ref explained he didn't see it and so VAR told him the error and he then could review and change his mind. In the other cases the Ref explained he had seen it and decided it didn't warrant anything and VAR can't over-rule the on field decision as it is not a definitive case.

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #306 on: March 18, 2024, 08:58:27 PM »
I think the pointing as being a “natural position” is just daft, because if that’s the case it’ll just get gamed.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #307 on: March 18, 2024, 10:00:23 PM »
I think the pointing as being a “natural position” is just daft, because if that’s the case it’ll just get gamed.

Ashley Westwood could play for a thousand years and never concede a single penalty.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #308 on: March 18, 2024, 11:18:52 PM »

Can’t remember which Spurs defender gave away a penalty two minutes into the chimps league final in 2019  but he was waving a team mate to cover the other side of the box and handled the ball. The ref had no problem awarding that one ( can’t recall if VAR was in use by then)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #309 on: March 18, 2024, 11:27:08 PM »

Ashley Westwood could play for a thousand years and never concede a single penalty.
Ash didn't do his best pointing in either box.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #310 on: March 18, 2024, 11:36:32 PM »
Can’t remember which Spurs defender gave away a penalty two minutes into the chimps league final in 2019  but he was waving a team mate to cover the other side of the box and handled the ball. The ref had no problem awarding that one ( can’t recall if VAR was in use by then)
30 seconds into the game Mane tried to flick the ball past Moussa Sissoko, it hit his chest and then onto his pointing arm. Ref gave a pen  and VAR check confirmed it.

Offline Pat McMahon

« Reply #311 on: March 18, 2024, 11:47:36 PM »
30 seconds into the game Mane tried to flick the ball past Moussa Sissoko, it hit his chest and then onto his pointing arm. Ref gave a pen  and VAR check confirmed it.

Cheers Aftab. I had a Spurs supporting mate over from China for that and he was frothing at the mouth.

Online astonvilla82

« Reply #312 on: March 19, 2024, 05:57:04 AM »
Interestingly Gallagher on Sky this morning said that if VAR had decided that the handball was not deliberate and so was a valid goal then they would have defaulted to did Souchek foul Konza which apparently thought was obvious when he saw it live.  All comforting but if that the case why didn't they start there!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2024, 06:00:28 AM by astonvilla82 »

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #313 on: March 19, 2024, 07:40:42 AM »
The rule is very clear; if a hand is used in a build up to a goal it’s no goal, even if its unavoidable. In the other box it’s different. Why can’t fans understand this. If you think it’s a shit rule, you may well be right, but VAR and the ref called it correct. They don’t set the rules. Of course it’s frustrating when you have a 97th minute winner ruled out, but it’s fair. What isn’t fair is making both sets of fans wait 7 minutes. Totally ridiculous.

Offline Somniloquism

« Reply #314 on: March 19, 2024, 08:25:12 AM »
The rule is very clear; if a hand is used in a build up to a goal it’s no goal, even if its unavoidable. In the other box it’s different. Why can’t fans understand this. If you think it’s a shit rule, you may well be right, but VAR and the ref called it correct. They don’t set the rules. Of course it’s frustrating when you have a 97th minute winner ruled out, but it’s fair. What isn’t fair is making both sets of fans wait 7 minutes. Totally ridiculous.

Erm not quite now as they changed the any handball in a build up last year. If the hand is used by the goal scorer when in the act of scoring, either directly or indirectly then it is no goal. But if Soucek had the ball hit his arm without the conscious movement he made to play it, it might have still counted as it then hit Bowen before going in. Weird quirk that it is only the goal scorer who can't accidently handball it but any other player can if it hits another team mate. (Not sure on opposition defender but not keeper as they cover that).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal