collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by paul_e
[Today at 05:46:12 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:42:02 PM]

Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 05:29:05 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:28:11 PM]

Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:27:35 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:25:54 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:25:04 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:22:42 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by paul_e
[Today at 05:46:12 PM]

Re: FFP by Dave
[Today at 05:44:20 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:42:02 PM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 05:39:45 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:32:19 PM]

Re: FFP by pablo_picasso
[Today at 05:31:28 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 05:29:05 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:28:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mark Bosnich  (Read 3896 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Mark Bosnich
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2024, 11:03:48 PM »
He was great for us, a brilliant shot stopper. That new rule ruined him at Man Utd. Maybe for once we let someone go at the right time? Not that I thought that at the time, especially to that lot. I was probably still sobbing over Yorke.

He was leaving for a while as I recall and David James, cup final aside, was a good replacement. Bozzy was brilliant but never looked after himself properly off the pitch.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2024, 11:05:02 PM »
Tranmere Rovers. One of his best.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2024, 12:05:57 AM »
He was great for us, a brilliant shot stopper. That new rule ruined him at Man Utd. Maybe for once we let someone go at the right time? Not that I thought that at the time, especially to that lot. I was probably still sobbing over Yorke.

I do wonder how we'd done in 98/99 if he'd stayed fit as in previous years. I think he was out from October right up to March so missed a huge chunk of the season. Oakes had done well as deputy but he struggled being the number one for longer period. Can remember Gregory remarking in one of the podcasts he did that we started conceding a large number of goals at the Holte End when Oakes came in.

Was always something going on with Bozzie. The stupid salute at Spurs when he was mocking them over Klinsmann. Didn't he also walked out of the ground pre match one season when he found out he'd been dropped and Villa fans outside saw him getting a taxi?

I think given he'd been at Man. United previously and they'd just won the treble that was always a move he was going to make but was destined to fail.

Online The Man With A Stick

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2024, 08:45:17 AM »

What really rankled was that he went on a free, which was still quite a rarity at the time.  If we'd got £15m for him Gregory could have gone and spent it wisely on a few more English journeymen rapidly approaching their 30s.

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2024, 09:07:20 AM »
Success ruined him, clearly went to his head or up his nose.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2024, 09:30:57 AM »
My favourite Villa keeper until Emi turned up. Get well soon Bozzie

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2024, 09:49:15 AM »
Get well soon Mark.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2024, 09:54:07 AM »

I do wonder how we'd done in 98/99 if he'd stayed fit as in previous years. I think he was out from October right up to March so missed a huge chunk of the season. Oakes had done well as deputy but he struggled being the number one for longer period. Can remember Gregory remarking in one of the podcasts he did that we started conceding a large number of goals at the Holte End when Oakes came in.

Was always something going on with Bozzie. The stupid salute at Spurs when he was mocking them over Klinsmann. Didn't he also walked out of the ground pre match one season when he found out he'd been dropped and Villa fans outside saw him getting a taxi?

I think given he'd been at Man. United previously and they'd just won the treble that was always a move he was going to make but was destined to fail.

Think Fergie said afterwards he was one of the worst pros he ever worked with. Showed up way overweight a bit like Ross McCormack did with us. That long term injury with us the previous season seemed a bit convenient.

At his best for us he was outstanding. His shot stopping was unbelievable but he was also very brave coming off his line going for crosses, missing the odd one but never phased him. Like Martinez he loved the rough and tumble in those collisions. Others, Friedel and Given come to mind, a hurricane wouldn't have moved them off their line.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2024, 10:27:11 AM »

He was leaving for a while as I recall and David James, cup final aside, was a good replacement. Bozzy was brilliant but never looked after himself properly off the pitch.

What new rule was that? I can't remember it.

In a recent podcast Gregory got the timeline wrong, kept saying Bosnich joined United and tried to get Yorke to go there- but Yorke went the year before Bosnich.

If that injury was indeed 'convenient' in 98-99 it was very unprofessional seeing as we were in the title mix for about 2/3s of that season

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2024, 10:54:10 AM »
I'm guessing it is the back pass rule being talked about, even though that was in place even about the same time he signed for us. However they used to play out from the back with Schmeichal and couldn't do it with Bozzie so that might be what is meant.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 10:57:05 AM by Somniloquism »

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2024, 11:06:21 AM »

What new rule was that? I can't remember it.

In a recent podcast Gregory got the timeline wrong, kept saying Bosnich joined United and tried to get Yorke to go there- but Yorke went the year before Bosnich.

If that injury was indeed 'convenient' in 98-99 it was very unprofessional seeing as we were in the title mix for about 2/3s of that season

He played about 3-4 times in the MarchApril of that season so I do think the injury was genuine as he'd have loved to have been in a proper title race with us.

We then left him out for the last three games so that's when I imagine he told the club he wouldn't be signing a new deal.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2024, 06:46:02 PM »
Sunderland away in the League Cup is still the best goalkeeping performance I've ever seen.

And that save against Coventry in 98

Offline TonyD

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2024, 10:25:31 PM »
That game at VP was probably my favourite of all time.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2024, 08:17:58 AM »
That game at VP was probably my favourite of all time.

Me too.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2024, 08:59:10 AM »
For pure excitement it's hard to think of any better.  Our cat was on my lap and when Dalian got that last minute goal the cat hit the ceiling!  Didn't come near me for days.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal