collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by AV82EC
[Today at 06:30:06 PM]

Champions League Contention by LeeB
[Today at 05:45:07 PM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by Demitri_C
[Today at 05:41:09 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Smirker
[Today at 05:38:49 PM]

Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa Post match interaction by LeeB
[Today at 05:19:25 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 05:11:35 PM]

Villa Park by FrankyH
[Today at 05:02:16 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Dave
[Today at 04:51:22 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: NSWE Investment by AV82EC
[Today at 06:30:06 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Risso
[Today at 06:12:51 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Ducksworthy
[Today at 06:07:01 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 06:04:11 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Drummond
[Today at 05:59:46 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by AV82EC
[Today at 05:54:49 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 05:52:58 PM]

Re: NSWE Investment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 05:48:14 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 2024 January transfer window - hopes, needs, expectations and rumours.  (Read 276665 times)

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
Re: 2024 January transfer window - hopes, needs, expectations and rumours.
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2023, 02:29:20 PM »
There will be rumours about our best players going to places like spurs and arsenal starting from around about now.  And if Man Utd bin their manager, I’ll expect rumours about ours.  For the first time in a long time (maybe ever) I’m totally confident nobody will leave that we don’t want to. 

Offline AV84

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2023, 02:42:44 PM »
I definitely think we don't have to worry about January. If the wheels fall off later in the season and we're not looking at Champions League next year, things might look a little different. But the whole vibe around the club at the moment seems to be one of everyone pulling in the same direction, and the aim is to achieve something together, rather than one individual putting themselves in the shop window.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #17 on: October 23, 2023, 02:51:13 PM »
There's absolutely no chance whatsoever of anybody leaving in January who we're not happy to let go. Quite the opposite, I'd hope that if Emery needs a couple of decent additions we'd break the bank.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #18 on: October 23, 2023, 03:00:09 PM »
There's absolutely no chance whatsoever of anybody leaving in January who we're not happy to let go. Quite the opposite, I'd hope that if Emery needs a couple of decent additions we'd break the bank.

Indeed.  Although Diaby was our record signing, it was mostly offset with the sale of youth players, so it does feel like there should be cash there for a marquee signing if Emery wants one, and one is available.  Obviously January isn't always great, but there might be teams looking to offload valuable assets if their struggling with FFP or are already out of certain competitions by the new year.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2023, 03:03:26 PM »
And with Monchi settled in and a body of work of the last 12 months to show you'd think there will be a queue of serious players lining up to join.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2023, 03:05:18 PM »
And with Monchi settled in and a body of work of the last 12 months to show you'd think there will be a queue of serious players lining up to join.

Agreed Lee. Monchi has already said that the summer wasn't perfect because he joined late, so hopefully he's using every waking minute now to identify potential targets to improve us.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2023, 04:19:12 PM »

Agreed Lee. Monchi has already said that the summer wasn't perfect because he joined late, so hopefully he's using every waking minute now to identify potential targets to improve us.

What's so much better is that we're now buying from a position of strength, not desperation.

And let's face it, whoever we sign is unlikely to be a shoe-in to start given how well the rest are playing.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2023, 04:48:53 PM »
Imagine Dougie Louise going to Yanited for £50m + McTominay....nightmare.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2023, 09:19:21 PM »
Did Monchi have to leave his database in Seville or does the algorithm need to be re-run based on emery’s tactics and villa’s current squad/needs?

Whilst I’ve read him confirm this in interviews, it seems odd that he came with nothing, no ideas, no list of players other than those he already knew.

Offline AV84

« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2023, 09:30:45 PM »
Did Monchi have to leave his database in Seville or does the algorithm need to be re-run based on emery’s tactics and villa’s current squad/needs?

Whilst I’ve read him confirm this in interviews, it seems odd that he came with nothing, no ideas, no list of players other than those he already knew.

I'd assume it would be a combination of things. Monchi might have a list of 50 players and he comes to Villa and sees we've already got a very strong midfield so crosses off 10 players. Then we're still "only" Aston Villa, having to play a qualifying round to secure Europa Conference, so maybe that's 10 more players that just aren't going to sign for us. Then Emery lays out the kind of players he needs and for specific positions or abilities, and that's another 15 gone. Then there's where we stand with FFP, transfer fees, whether a target player actually wants to move, whether other clubs are interested too, etc. etc.

That's maybe a very simple read of it, but I think it's not too hard to believe that he would need a few months to gel his methods and targets with how we actually do business and figuring out how to make it all work together.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2023, 10:54:05 PM »
January is a huge opportunity.

What we need to sign dosen't have to be big names but would be great if we could pick up two Moreno experienced players who can come in and hit the ground running after a month.

Too often in the past we've been passive while underachieving sides have gone out and strengthened and then we've scratched our heads wondering why they then win 5-6 in a row.

No more please. We've got the perfect manager in place and Monchi has a further six months to source targets so let's go for it.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #26 on: October 24, 2023, 06:55:33 AM »

I'd assume it would be a combination of things. Monchi might have a list of 50 players and he comes to Villa and sees we've already got a very strong midfield so crosses off 10 players. Then we're still "only" Aston Villa, having to play a qualifying round to secure Europa Conference, so maybe that's 10 more players that just aren't going to sign for us. Then Emery lays out the kind of players he needs and for specific positions or abilities, and that's another 15 gone. Then there's where we stand with FFP, transfer fees, whether a target player actually wants to move, whether other clubs are interested too, etc. etc.

That's maybe a very simple read of it, but I think it's not too hard to believe that he would need a few months to gel his methods and targets with how we actually do business and figuring out how to make it all work together.

That sounds fair.  Not having his database, as reported, seemed ridiculous.

I also find it slightly ironic that we finally have a renowned ‘recruiter’ and we suddenly need less players.  Maybe his value will not just be the signings he makes but the sales too (with replacement signed etc) so FFP is never a worry.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #27 on: October 24, 2023, 07:14:43 AM »
Aaaaand there you go:

“Arsenal remain interested in trying to sign Brazil midfielder Douglas Luiz, 25, from Aston Villa having previously had several bids rejected. (90min, via BBC)”

It’s nonsense of course, but it goes with the territory when you’re constantly “flying under the radar”.  I guarantee no star Spurs players will be linked with moves to other English club in the top 6.   

Online lovejoy

« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2023, 09:34:54 AM »
Along with everything else, arent Arsenal full of midfielders already?

Offline garyellis

« Reply #29 on: October 24, 2023, 10:03:45 AM »
It will take a while for the media to get used to us keeping our best players. It was arguably the biggest success of the last summer window.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal