collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Our defence  (Read 7161 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Our defence
« Reply #135 on: September 06, 2023, 12:00:48 PM »
The point is you were banging on about the inexperienced defence, when he could have played two players in their usual positions, but didn't. We could have had three of the back four who've played together dozens of times.

I think a big part of him picking the defence as he did is that he wants to play Konsa and Torres but doesn't trust them as a pair when there's a big guy up front so Carlos starts in between them as a bit of muscle. Given he likes the lopsided back 4 it doesn't really harm us in possession or change our shape so it's a fairly pragmatic choice. That's why losing Mings first and Carlos second in our 2 toughest games was so disruptive because we ended up with a bit of a soft belly.

Konsa has rarely let anybody down, even if we don't really know what he's like without Mings properly yet. The defence for me should therefore be Cash Konsa Carlos Digne, at least against tougher teams.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #136 on: September 06, 2023, 12:07:05 PM »
The point is you were banging on about the inexperienced defence, when he could have played two players in their usual positions, but didn't. We could have had three of the back four who've played together dozens of times.

I think a big part of him picking the defence as he did is that he wants to play Konsa and Torres but doesn't trust them as a pair when there's a big guy up front so Carlos starts in between them as a bit of muscle. Given he likes the lopsided back 4 it doesn't really harm us in possession or change our shape so it's a fairly pragmatic choice. That's why losing Mings first and Carlos second in our 2 toughest games was so disruptive because we ended up with a bit of a soft belly.

Konsa has rarely let anybody down, even if we don't really know what he's like without Mings properly yet. The defence for me should therefore be Cash Konsa Carlos Digne, at least against tougher teams.

Maybe, but that doesn't solve the issue of Carlos going off injured against Liverpoolwhen Mings has already been ruled out for many months.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #137 on: September 06, 2023, 12:23:22 PM »

Hopefully Moreno is back after international break. Not the greatest defender either but at least can run. Carlos/Torres/Lenglet/Digne have no recovery pace which is a disaster in that high defensive line. Need Ramsey back as cover in front too, TAA wouldn't have had the freedom of Anfield if he was there.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #138 on: September 06, 2023, 01:03:57 PM »
Hopefully Moreno has still got that initial burst of pace he had before his injury. Him consistently roasting past opposition RB's was good to watch.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #139 on: September 06, 2023, 01:30:03 PM »
What has happened to Kortney Hause?
« Last Edit: September 06, 2023, 09:02:37 PM by pablo_picasso »

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #140 on: September 06, 2023, 04:48:26 PM »
What has happened to Kourtney Hause?
Probably shacked up with Ciaran Clarke.