collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Eamonn Deacy - RIP  (Read 92348 times)

Offline Paul.S

Re: Eamonn Deacy - RIP
« Reply #345 on: June 25, 2023, 12:00:13 PM »
I remember a game at Villa Park when Eamonn was playing. Can’t remember who we played but Middlesbrough comes to mind. Their left winger/midfielder was trying to make him look silly and you could see Eamonn getting a bit annoyed. You could hear the crack of the shin pad as Eamonn finally flipped. The look he gave him as he stood up said it all and funnily enough he passed it every time he got the ball from then on. Not a very interesting story I know but it’s the last one I have of Eamonn and every time a player is called a hard man I think of Eamonn and smile.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #346 on: June 25, 2023, 01:20:06 PM »
At the reception after the memorial match including the re-naming of Galway United's ground from Terryland Park to Eamonn Deacy Park, Colin Gibson assumed the role of MC and whilst talking about what Eamonn was like, one of the things he said was: 'When Eamonn kicked you, you knew you'd been kicked'.  I think Get Regan and Eamonn of this parish will attest to that.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #347 on: June 25, 2023, 01:57:18 PM »
I don't watch Ireland play so I don't know just how much he isn't getting from the players but you don't really have the players though, do you? Looking at the last match, on paper it doesn't look up to much. Is it just his style?

It's not the results or the style of play as I realise it's not a great crop of players (losing Grealish and Rice didn't help). It's Kenny's smug, Cheshire cat grin that says "youse are all bollixes" when we've just beaten some international no-marks 1-0, and when we lose it's the constant refusal to look the interviewer in the eye and half smirk that says "youse are still all bollixes". A prick of the highest order and quite frankly, I'd much rather have DOL in charge if need be.

Offline CorkVilla

« Reply #348 on: June 25, 2023, 11:57:30 PM »
I don't watch Ireland play so I don't know just how much he isn't getting from the players but you don't really have the players though, do you? Looking at the last match, on paper it doesn't look up to much. Is it just his style?

It's not the results or the style of play as I realise it's not a great crop of players (losing Grealish and Rice didn't help). It's Kenny's smug, Cheshire cat grin that says "youse are all bollixes" when we've just beaten some international no-marks 1-0, and when we lose it's the constant refusal to look the interviewer in the eye and half smirk that says "youse are still all bollixes". A prick of the highest order and quite frankly, I'd much rather have DOL in charge if need be.

He is incredibly unpopular with all the ex pros and a few ex managers. Damien Delaney for example slates him at every opportunity. Delaney played for Ireland under Trappatoni. The Trap era probably did more damage to the Irish team than anything that happened under Staunton. During the era of tiki-taka football Traps Irish teams were lumping long balls up to Kevin Doyle non stop. It was horrendous. And Trap had an embarrassment of riches player-wise compared to Kenny. He'll be gone after the end of this campaign either way. Then it will be Lee Carsley's green army!

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #349 on: June 26, 2023, 01:34:56 AM »
Carsley, huh? He is doing well with England U21s, and probably the only guy we could afford once Kenny is binned. Isn't he secretly Villa, too?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2023, 01:37:13 AM by eamonn »

Offline Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #350 on: June 26, 2023, 11:48:32 PM »
Will ya shtop! We'll shoot for Lee Carsley because that's what the people want. But, he's got potential and he won't want us fucking that up on him! We'll get Neil Lennon, and that's fine.
What we should be focusing on is building our own league and developing the players ourselves so we can stop prostituting ourselves out to the likes of Tom Cannon, Declan Rice, Michael Keane and Jack Grealish. A bit of fucking dignity wouldn't go astray!

Offline johnc

• GM : 15.02.2025
« Reply #351 on: June 27, 2023, 08:26:24 AM »
Will ya shtop! We'll shoot for Lee Carsley because that's what the people want. But, he's got potential and he won't want us fucking that up on him! We'll get Neil Lennon, and that's fine.
What we should be focusing on is building our own league and developing the players ourselves so we can stop prostituting ourselves out to the likes of Tom Cannon, Declan Rice, Michael Keane and Jack Grealish. A bit of fucking dignity wouldn't go astray!
Can't see it happening Mossie. Anybody with potential will end up across the water. League of Ireland can't compete.

Offline Mossie Hennebry

« Reply #352 on: June 27, 2023, 08:20:37 PM »
Can't see it happening Mossie. Anybody with potential will end up across the water. League of Ireland can't compete.
That's not really my point, but I didn't word it well. We have effectively become a second nursery for the English FA, where if an English-born player is playing underage football for Ireland and shows promise, he is tapped up for the England U21s. This hinders the development of players that don't have an identity crises.
Incidentally, as to your point, since the UK left the EU, Irish players can't join UK clubs until they are 18. This has already made the league better.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal