collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[Today at 12:37:50 AM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Martyn Smith
[Today at 12:31:51 AM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 12:26:11 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by AV84
[April 30, 2024, 11:56:01 PM]

NSWE Investment by luke95
[April 30, 2024, 11:17:05 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Dogtanian
[April 30, 2024, 10:41:39 PM]

Champions League Contention by dave.woodhall
[April 30, 2024, 10:28:40 PM]

Kits 23/24 by KRS
[April 30, 2024, 09:53:38 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Other Games - 2023/24  (Read 958043 times)

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
Re: Other Games - 2023/24
« Reply #20505 on: April 18, 2024, 07:52:17 AM »
I didn't think Joe played that bad really but yeah, Doku did cause them more problems.

Best I've seen him play for a long time, but Doku was an upgrade when he came on, he just looks braver and takes people on more than Joe.
However, it's another significant game in which Grealish failed to score or provide an assist.
He doesn't make a significant impact at the top end for goals with us  in the play-off and cup finals, England in the European championship final, and Man City in the cup and champions league final.

His greatest semi-final or final performance to date, in my opinion, was against Liverpool in the semifinals when he was still with us.

Offline AV84

« Reply #20506 on: April 18, 2024, 07:58:45 AM »
I'd have rather they both won too as it would've been more advantages for us but them going out is also a little hilarious.

If we end up in 4th it's actually the perfect scenario.

Just hope it doesnt bite us. Id be devastated if we didnt win conference league and finished 5th after all we been through this season

We'd still have Europa next season either way, so another year of steady progress. Disappointing, sure, but we'd probably all have taken it at the start of the season.

Offline Jane

• GM : 02.07.2021
« Reply #20507 on: April 18, 2024, 08:04:53 AM »
Re: 4th/5th debate and wanting teams you dislike to win who may potentially assist us.
It used to be called the European Cup, you only got in by finishing 1st.

This was my exact point but couldn't seem to verbalise it.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #20508 on: April 18, 2024, 08:15:13 AM »
Re: 4th/5th debate and wanting teams you dislike to win who may potentially assist us.

And it used to be the the top three in the second division that got promoted and play-offs didn't exist. Yet, sometimes football structures change and sometimes it benefits us. Like us getting promoted after finishing fifth.

Offline cdward

« Reply #20509 on: April 18, 2024, 08:29:10 AM »
Thought Joe played ok, but he does seem ineffectual.
He does this little shuffle from side to side when he is on the ball and fronting up a defender, which slows the play, and the defender just stands in front of him and waits for him to do something and he eventually passes the ball sideways or back.
He doesn't try and take people on as much, i suppose keeping possession is what Pep wants.
But Doku did look more effective when he came on.
A bit like comparing Buendia with Bailey, both can be effective, both different.
Didn't think he had a bad game, but Doku changed the game more.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #20510 on: April 18, 2024, 08:29:42 AM »
Watkins reckons we lack a big game mentality.

Fuck me, he's supposedly a Woolwich fan. Has he not watched them recently?

The guy who cuts my hair is a Gooner. He assured me last month that they would definitely win either the league or the Champions League, just like he was 100% certain they'd win the title last year.

Think you might be getting a Lionel Blair next time.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #20511 on: April 18, 2024, 08:36:17 AM »
We seem to be obsessed with Jack’s performance when Abu city fail. The culprits were elsewhere. Lord Lucan Haaland and Alvarez as well the greatest ever Englishman, apparently, Foden. They were all useless and that’s why they are out. Good riddance 5th or no 5th.

Offline Demitri_C

« Reply #20512 on: April 18, 2024, 08:37:59 AM »
I'd have rather they both won too as it would've been more advantages for us but them going out is also a little hilarious.

If we end up in 4th it's actually the perfect scenario.

Just hope it doesnt bite us. Id be devastated if we didnt win conference league and finished 5th after all we been through this season

We'd still have Europa next season either way, so another year of steady progress. Disappointing, sure, but we'd probably all have taken it at the start of the season.

100% at start at season but the way seasons gone it will be massively disappointing in reality

Id rather not been in europa at all tbh as its a tougher demanding competition and its still thursday night games with little financial benefit that would hinder us for Cl qualification next season. But lets see i could be completely wrong !

Offline Jane

• GM : 02.07.2021
« Reply #20513 on: April 18, 2024, 10:09:22 AM »
I can't believe that I live in a world when people want Arsenal and Citeh to win so we have more chance of getting Champions League football by maybe finishing 5th instead of 4th. Bizarre.

I think it’s bizarre that a Villa fan wouldn’t want Villa to have more chance of playing in the Champions League. And bizarre that a Villa fan wouldn’t want Villa to have a relaxed end to the season and be able to rest players for possible European ties.

But there you go, some Villa fans don’t want that. Let’s hope we win the rest of our games because we don’t want to be hoping that Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool beat Spurs. That would be bizarre.

By the way, I’ve just been talking to a Blues fan at work who also didn’t want Arsenal and Man City to win, such is his hatred of Villa and distaste for any success they might have. So you’ve a kindred spirit here Jane.

It was a reflection on how things have changed that I was calling bizarre. Thanks for the bluenose comment tho.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #20514 on: April 18, 2024, 10:19:18 AM »

Yep - and I imagine even in those days there were occasions in the domestic season where we wanted a club we disliked to win to help us with our overall goal.

When the Blues were playing Liverpool and Ipswich in them days I’m sure we all wanted them to win then feck off from whence they came.  Same with Blues wanting us to beat Blackburn that time for which we kindly didn’t oblige.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #20515 on: April 18, 2024, 10:54:51 AM »
I can't believe that I live in a world when people want Arsenal and Citeh to win so we have more chance of getting Champions League football by maybe finishing 5th instead of 4th. Bizarre.

I think it’s bizarre that a Villa fan wouldn’t want Villa to have more chance of playing in the Champions League. And bizarre that a Villa fan wouldn’t want Villa to have a relaxed end to the season and be able to rest players for possible European ties.

But there you go, some Villa fans don’t want that. Let’s hope we win the rest of our games because we don’t want to be hoping that Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool beat Spurs. That would be bizarre.

By the way, I’ve just been talking to a Blues fan at work who also didn’t want Arsenal and Man City to win, such is his hatred of Villa and distaste for any success they might have. So you’ve a kindred spirit here Jane.

Jane & I don’t always agree on our attitude to other teams results when they affect Villa (League Cup Final 2020 Jane 😉) but it is against site rules to call someone a Bluenose just because you don’t agree with them and that’s pretty much what you’ve done here.
Mods have pulled up people for doing this to obvious trolls in the past so I don’t really understand why it’s Ok to say this to someone who’s been in this site for about 30 years!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #20516 on: April 18, 2024, 10:57:02 AM »
That would make Jane a member since she was about 18 months old, surely?!

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #20517 on: April 18, 2024, 11:02:47 AM »
That would make Jane a member since she was about 18 months old, surely?!

Ah Risso - she always loved you!

Offline JUAN PABLO

• http://www.scifimafia.net
  • GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #20518 on: April 18, 2024, 11:04:49 AM »
I know how it potentially impacts on us, but I just can’t help finding it funny Arsenal and Man City are out. Its the whole sky super six hype thang, Ollie Wakins being asked about being an Arsenal supporter after Sundays game and all that sort of shite all season.

We have to get our own house in order and do this (finish 4th) all ourselves now and Im pretty convinced we will.

this.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #20519 on: April 18, 2024, 11:07:31 AM »

It was a reflection on how things have changed that I was calling bizarre. Thanks for the bluenose comment tho.

Football fans are ultimately extremely selfish and territorial animals. Me included. I don't care enough about any other team to be particularly bothered one way or the other about their results. Even our biggest local rivals. Personally, I would happily cheer on any other team on the planet in a one-off game if it meant improving the fortunes of Aston Villa by even a tiny amount.  Wanting English teams to progress in the Champions League to ensure we had a 90% chance of being in the Champions League next season - as we sit today - was an absolute no-brainer for me.  I don't care about them progressing, or not.  I care about what it can do for Aston Villa.  I'm disappointed in the results, not because of there being no English teams left in the Champions League, but because our chances of Champions League football next season just dropped from 90% to about 70%.  For me, it's just maths.

But I totally understand fans who can't bring themselves to feel that way about it.  Each to their own, no judgement :-)

It's all moot now anyway, and let the race for 4th place continue!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal