collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by luke95
[Today at 08:54:15 AM]

Arsenal v Aston Villa - Sunday 4.30pm. Pre Match Yarn. by Bad English
[Today at 08:36:35 AM]

Champions League Contention by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:28:18 AM]

Ollie Watkins by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 08:11:31 AM]

Unai Emery - our manager by adrenachrome
[Today at 08:08:58 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by adrenachrome
[Today at 08:00:25 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Pat Mustard
[Today at 07:49:40 AM]

Press-ing on by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:35:34 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Other Games - 2023/24  (Read 857694 times)

Offline edgysatsuma89

Re: Other Games - 2023/24
« Reply #15030 on: February 24, 2024, 01:02:14 AM »
Honestly, we're so winning this.

Eintracht Frankfurt out, Legia out, Real Betis out.

It's about time we ended this trophy drought, and we'll not get a better opportunity.

I recently turned 35 and in my time supporting us ('96-'97 season to the present day) I've seen us win the Intertoto, the Peace Cup and the Play-offs.

Absurd.

Let's win it, lads, and put my miserable youth behind us!

I turned 35 on Wednesday, so same shit for me. Piss-poor football club 😉.

You're twelve days younger than me then, Edgy.

You young'uns don't know tough times like us older fellas!

Do you remember the '96 League Cup? Because I was kind of a Villa fan by then (I'd been to a game and had a replica kit) but I have no memory of it whatsoever.

Ha, we don't know how lucky we are, can't get me off the ol' Ticky Tock.

Nope, not in the slightest. Some people seem surprised as I was clearly old enough but I didn't properly get in to football until I was around 10. I'd been to games, also. Unfortunately I vividly remember watching David James in the FA Cup final around my nans, though. I was brought up on Liverpool history via my dad, old videos and all that, so Villa took time to cut through. Are you from Villa stock?

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #15031 on: February 24, 2024, 01:16:15 AM »
Honestly, we're so winning this.

Eintracht Frankfurt out, Legia out, Real Betis out.

It's about time we ended this trophy drought, and we'll not get a better opportunity.

I recently turned 35 and in my time supporting us ('96-'97 season to the present day) I've seen us win the Intertoto, the Peace Cup and the Play-offs.

Absurd.

Let's win it, lads, and put my miserable youth behind us!

I turned 35 on Wednesday, so same shit for me. Piss-poor football club 😉.

You're twelve days younger than me then, Edgy.

You young'uns don't know tough times like us older fellas!

Do you remember the '96 League Cup? Because I was kind of a Villa fan by then (I'd been to a game and had a replica kit) but I have no memory of it whatsoever.

Ha, we don't know how lucky we are, can't get me off the ol' Ticky Tock.

Nope, not in the slightest. Some people seem surprised as I was clearly old enough but I didn't properly get in to football until I was around 10. I'd been to games, also. Unfortunately I vividly remember watching David James in the FA Cup final around my nans, though. I was brought up on Liverpool history via my dad, old videos and all that, so Villa took time to cut through. Are you from Villa stock?

Yeah, if you'd asked me in January 1996 if I liked football I would've said "no, but I support Villa". But for some reason I was oblivious to the League Cup that year.

On my English side, my Grandad was a cockney, Granny from Lancashire, neither really into football. One uncle was Villa, one uncle SHA, and my Mom Villa.

On the Irish side, my grandparents settled here permanently in the mid-50s, and my Grandma chose Villa as her team at some point in the early '60s. My Dad and Uncle were Tottenham fans when they were kids (they loved Jimmy Greaves) but my Uncle went to his first game at VP in 1969, fell in love and my Dad followed suit.

So yeah, I'm from Villa stock, had little Villa romper suits as a baby, Villa pyjamas and bed sheets. Had the '95/'96 kit and went to my first game that season, but for some reason I didn't follow our results until I was about 8.

Maybe because I was the oldest child and my Dad worked nights, so I didn't see him much. I guess I knew I was Villa long before I knew what it actually meant!

Edit: and yes, the FA Cup final was probably my second great footballing disappointment, after losing Yorke. Little did I know there'd be so many more to come.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2024, 01:19:43 AM by Rory »

Online Jon Crofts

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #15033 on: February 24, 2024, 01:29:00 PM »
Yeah, if you'd asked me in January 1996 if I liked football I would've said "no, but I support Villa". But for some reason I was oblivious to the League Cup that year.

On my English side, my Grandad was a cockney, Granny from Lancashire, neither really into football. One uncle was Villa, one uncle SHA, and my Mom Villa.

On the Irish side, my grandparents settled here permanently in the mid-50s, and my Grandma chose Villa as her team at some point in the early '60s. My Dad and Uncle were Tottenham fans when they were kids (they loved Jimmy Greaves) but my Uncle went to his first game at VP in 1969, fell in love and my Dad followed suit.

So yeah, I'm from Villa stock, had little Villa romper suits as a baby, Villa pyjamas and bed sheets. Had the '95/'96 kit and went to my first game that season, but for some reason I didn't follow our results until I was about 8.

Maybe because I was the oldest child and my Dad worked nights, so I didn't see him much. I guess I knew I was Villa long before I knew what it actually meant!

Edit: and yes, the FA Cup final was probably my second great footballing disappointment, after losing Yorke. Little did I know there'd be so many more to come.

Interesting, you were definitely made to be Villa! All my family are basically Baggies fans apart from my dad. My older brother set the trend to follow Villa and I went with him. Fuck the Tesco bags, I am a cuckoo!

I don't know if it's just my perception, but is there a historical reason behind why we have a half decent Irish following? Or maybe we don't and I've got that wrong.

Offline Bernie

• king of celebrity deathwatch
  • GM : 30.01.2025
« Reply #15034 on: February 24, 2024, 01:52:57 PM »
I seem to remember that one reason for Villa having an Irish following was McParland??

Offline Sexual Ealing

« Reply #15035 on: February 24, 2024, 02:00:01 PM »
Rory, your dad can't have worked nights or he'd be Blues, surely?

Anyway I turned 46 this month so people who've just turned 35 have nothing but my contempt and deep, deep, envy.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #15036 on: February 24, 2024, 03:10:21 PM »
Rory, your dad can't have worked nights or he'd be Blues, surely?

Anyway I turned 46 this month so people who've just turned 35 have nothing but my contempt and deep, deep, envy.

I can guarantee you'll be fitter and sexier than me so I wouldn't be too envious.

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #15037 on: February 24, 2024, 03:33:02 PM »
Fulham the better team Vs Manure, quelle surprise. This season's most oft-repeate mantra is definitely going to be "how did that shower do the double over us?"

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #15038 on: February 24, 2024, 03:35:19 PM »
Small Heath losing. No more sell outs for themů..

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #15039 on: February 24, 2024, 03:37:44 PM »
Fulham the better team Vs Manure, quelle surprise. This season's most oft-repeate mantra is definitely going to be "how did that shower do the double over us?"

You know very well though that Man U will find a way to jammy a win

Offline Proposition Joe

« Reply #15040 on: February 24, 2024, 03:40:41 PM »

At some point they'll regress to the mean. But yeah you're probably right.

Offline johnc

• GM : 15.02.2025
« Reply #15041 on: February 24, 2024, 03:54:44 PM »

I think their luck will run out today

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #15042 on: February 24, 2024, 03:56:55 PM »
Burnley down to 10 men.

Offline Somniloquism

« Reply #15043 on: February 24, 2024, 04:19:46 PM »
Di Zerba booked again as the Ex-Burnley lump at Everton doesn't get his marching orders for a second yellow. (And no I don't mean Dyche.)

Offline Somniloquism

« Reply #15044 on: February 24, 2024, 04:32:08 PM »
Quick double for Palace against 10 man Burnley.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal