collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Would We Have Gone Down Under Gerrard?  (Read 24352 times)

Offline Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
Re: Would We Have Gone Down Under Gerrard?
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2023, 11:41:05 PM »
Yeah I think we would have done. That West Ham game was up there with the worst I've seen us play. And Fulham? Imagine if he'd stayed on after that? Confidence rock bottom, division in the camp, the media saying the players aren't playing for Gerrard - half of our fans believing it and turning on the players, the other half undecided. Probably coming out with some baseless soundbite akin to 'rolling up our sleeves', or something equally useless.

I didn't want him at Villa, being too unimaginative to see what he could offer us, especially after Smith had built a decent team and left a decent foundation. I was shocked when he got the job - it made me question the leadership at Villa, especially after there had been rumours the owners wanted Henry previously. Maybe that was Purslow too.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2023, 11:43:04 PM »
I think he would have kept us up just about, but how he would have handled the toxic atmosphere at V P is another matter.

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2023, 11:54:07 PM »
Like many of these former pros, Gerrard isn't a coach but a figurehead. He has no technical ability, merely a reputation born exclusively of his achievements as a player.

Fortunately, we now have one of the best coaches in the world.

I think this is where John Terry has played it smart, knowing his limitations. They're fine to have as part of the backroom - 'setting standards', offering a bit of motivation and tips here and there. To be a manager/head coach takes a much larger skill set than that.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2023, 12:08:57 AM »

Lampard and Gerard are the same bracket, great players, but they’ve got a lot to learn and I’m not sure they’re capable of going back to square one and rebuilding because it will take honesty and admitting your weaknesses and I can’t see them doing that

I could see Lampard doing it but not Gerrard. Lampard seems pretty decent tbh. Gerrard is full of himself and needs humbling.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2023, 12:47:20 AM »
The mods in here would have been a lot fucking busier had he stayed any longer, that's for sure.

As for going down, it's the impossible hypothetical question. Yes if we'd stayed as bad as we were, no because I think the players would have done something about it. And if he'd stayed he'd have been sacked a few days /weeks later in any event for being so fucking shit.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2023, 06:47:14 AM »
Was at down to Fulham to see his last game sat about three rows back from the front , so really close to the players
You could tell the players we’re not buying into his philosophy I got the feeling that he was disliked by a few of them, and let’s face it you’re not gonna be at your best playing for someone you don’t like
I think the Brentford game proves that

As others have said, he bought a lot of that on himself
If he does return to management, he will have to learn from his mistakes problem with people like Gerrard is they can’t accept they make mistakes

I hate all things Liverpool FC, but was willing to give him a go When he came. I thought he showed promise at first, and I did like a lot of the things he said
But It just didn’t translate onto the pitch and performances were mostly dire, whatever he was trying to do was not computing and in the end it just became a big mess

Lampard and Gerard are the same bracket, great players, but they’ve got a lot to learn and I’m not sure they’re capable of going back to square one and rebuilding because it will take honesty and admitting your weaknesses and I can’t see them doing that

Dozens of mediocre or shite performances for England between them and their media mates would pad their scores with a  7 or 8/10. No-one has ever told them they weren't That Good

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2023, 07:15:31 AM »
Nailed on. He got sacked after an easy start fixture wise. We wouldn’t have got a single point from the last few games we’ve just performed so well in,

I thought we were shite in pre-season, it was confirmed at Bournemouth and he should have gone after giving West Ham their first goal, clean sheet and points of the season.

Absolutely clueless.

This exactly where I am.

Realtive to resources available Gerrard was every bit as bad as Billy McNeill but with better backing.

Offline Martyn Smith

• Golden Muppet
  • GM : PCM
« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2023, 07:20:50 AM »
There's a film or TV program which contains this quote, been racking my brains to think what it is:

Anyone can have one of those days... even one of this weeks...and occasionally you'll just have a bad run that stretches into one of those months...

... it never gets to be one of those years...

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2023, 08:33:41 AM »
The failures of Gerrard and Lampard highlight the fact that the old cliché about great players being poor managers has never been truer. Of all the decent prem managers currently, only Guardiola was a top notch footballer, I think.

Offline Somniloquism

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2023, 08:36:31 AM »
Just because Lampard was mentioned, his win percentage at Chelsea is 9 (nine) percent.

This season or across both spells?

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2023, 08:39:25 AM »
Just because Lampard was mentioned, his win percentage at Chelsea is 9 (nine) percent.

This season or across both spells?

This season. Lower than Remi Garde for us.

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2023, 08:47:50 AM »
The management jobs that Lampard and Gerard *should* be doing are not going to pay enough for them to bother. A proper stint in the lower leagues is what’s required but why bother when you’re already minted. Their egos won’t allow it.

Offline Bully2345

« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2023, 09:14:23 AM »
Nailed on. He got sacked after an easy start fixture wise. We wouldn’t have got a single point from the last few games we’ve just performed so well in,

I thought we were shite in pre-season, it was confirmed at Bournemouth and he should have gone after giving West Ham their first goal, clean sheet and points of the season.

Absolutely clueless.

West Ham was the day that I turned. It's the earliest I've every given up on a manager. I like to consider myself one of the more patient ones but I'd had enough already

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2023, 09:18:54 AM »
I must say I kind of turned after Bournemouth. Can't say I totally gave up, but it was so astonishingly poor that I just could not honestly see how it could get better, what there was to build on.

And I'd managed to convince myself to be hopeful before that too! Just goes to show, sometimes your first impression is the right one.

Offline danno

« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2023, 09:24:25 AM »
I must say I kind of turned after Bournemouth. Can't say I totally gave up, but it was so astonishingly poor that I just could not honestly see how it could get better, what there was to build on.

Same, I watched it at my mates and told him Gerrard would be gone by Christmas.
There really was no straw to grasp watching that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal