collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Happy promotion day!  (Read 3688 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Happy promotion day!
« on: May 27, 2023, 08:54:54 AM »
Four years ago today.

Just about the most tense last ten minutes of my life, followed by celebrations I'll never forget.

Time for something special today as well, hopefully McGinn and Mings can draw on the memories. Perhaps Dean over at the rabble up the M69 can do similar, good luck to him.

Online tomd2103

Re: Happy promotion day!
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2023, 09:05:20 AM »
The run-in at the end of that season was a great period.  Real buzz about the club, a long winning run, home games sold out, really big away followings and then a Wembley win to cap it all off.

I remember sinking into my seat at Wembley at the final whistle, just feeling an overwhelming sense of relief more than anything. 

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2023, 09:16:39 AM »
A fantastic day.

Was still pissed in the uni classroom the next day. I did a half Mings and wore a Villa shirt with trousers and shoes.

Offline Martin Carruthers

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2023, 09:18:46 AM »
I was moving house the day after, had to rush back and finish packing. Don't think I've ever had a more stressful day in my life. Worth it though!

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2023, 09:22:21 AM »
I had a long-standing commitment to take my mate for dental implant treatment as he doesn't drive and it mieant his missus didn't have to take time off work.  I spent all of that match maintaining radio silence and walking around Athlone avoiding anywhere it might be on, such were my nerves.  It was well after the game was over and I got home and still didn't know the score, it was my intention to go into the house and get straight on here but I was met in the hall by Mrs S asking me with the saddest face she could muster 'did I know how the Villa had got on?' I said no, I'm just going to find out now but I knew then that we'd done it because my missus has a smiley face and couldn't really disguise things.

When we needed to get a result to better Watford the following season to stay up, I took one of the grandsons fishing, she rang me to ask when would I be home as dinner would be ready soon, she did that with a sad voice so I knew then that we'd survived but didn't know the score until I got home.  The woman can't do sad despite being married to me for forty-eight years.

I believe she has a picnic planned for us tomorrow!

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2023, 09:22:56 AM »
Yeah, those last ten minutes just after they pulled one back seemed to last forever. Brilliant day though.

Offline Perthvillan

• GM : 25.08.2023
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2023, 10:17:46 AM »
I remember it well.
I was watching on the TV in Australia and it was the last time I got completely plastered.
I arranged to have the next day off work just in case and to cope with the tension I drunk 3/4 of a bottle of whiskey during the game.
I knew we had won at the end but little else.
MY wife didn't talk to me for a couple of days and I didn't watch the game back until three days later.
HAppy days.

Offline Risso

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2023, 10:23:06 AM »
Such a brilliant day. Getting the same train back as all the Derby fans from St Pancras was excellent. Me, my mate and SE and his cousin glugging champagne surrounded by pissed off Derby fans. Marvellous.

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2023, 11:10:33 AM »
I'm still hungover from Rotterdam Day yesterday.

Online Goldenballs

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2023, 11:19:58 AM »
One of my favourite days, cost me over £500 for the ticket but was sitting just underneath Carew and the future king. Left a holiday early leaving the missus and kid behind, was waiting for my train but didn't really know what I was doing because I never use trains, had a panic attack so got a 3 hour taxi instead. Regret nothing.

Offline Risso

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2023, 11:25:17 AM »
We had to turf two Derby fans out of our reserved seats on the train. As they left, one of them said "hasn't our day been shit enough?!" We felt a bit sorry for them, so offered them a crisp as they left.

Offline Villan For Life

• GM : 07.08.2024
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2023, 11:26:09 AM »
An awesome day, one of my favourite Villa days and it’s up there with Rotterdam for me and I was there too.

Sharing the day with so many friends and that joyous outpouring of relief at the end will stay with me always.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2023, 11:32:23 AM »
Couldn't get a ticket (did the year before), watched in the Red Lion in Hockley. As drunk by the end of the day as I've been in 20 years at least.

Offline Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2023, 11:51:21 AM »
We had to turf two Derby fans out of our reserved seats on the train. As they left, one of them said "hasn't our day been shit enough?!" We felt a bit sorry for them, so offered them a crisp as they left.

Each, or between them?

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2023, 11:55:26 AM »

:D

A Walkers crisp would have saddened them even further.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal