collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 35 years ago.  (Read 2697 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: 35 years ago.
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2023, 01:51:03 PM »
A long time ago now and I was young at the time, but I read something the other day about hoe precarious our position was going into that last game at Swindon.  Was it two other results we needed to go our way?

We needed to better the results of Bradford and Middlesborough, who were both at home to mid table clubs with nothing to play for, so we all assumed we'd have to win to stand any chance

Were they any play offs in those days? I remember at some point in the 80s it was just a play off with one of the 1st Division teams as Boro and Chelsea had that massive riot and they basically restructured it to Wembley as a result.

Yes, sides that finished 3-5th in division 2 and the side that finished 18th im div 1. That was the season of the Chelsea v Boro game.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2023, 02:32:02 PM »
Wasn’t there rather a lot of trouble at Chelsea that game?  Police horses and such.

Online RamboandBruno

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2023, 09:45:11 PM »
I was 14 during the Bradford game and it was so exciting being in that crowd that felt huge at the time, crowds were generally much lower then. It was really tense as we really needed to win, we’d lost a few before that from memory. A mate got me what might have been a dodgy ticket for Swindon but my parents wouldn’t let me go. Again from memory, all it would of took is one of Blackburn or Boro to better our result at Swindon, we drew but they both lost by one goal at home I think, the stars aligned for us.
Chelsea lost to Boro in that play off game and got relegated. Those years have gone too quick.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal