collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 01:37:11 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 01:36:50 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 01:31:49 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 01:10:53 PM]

NSWE Investment by The Edge
[Today at 01:10:39 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:48:15 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 01:37:11 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 01:36:50 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:36:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 01:35:37 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:34:14 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:33:29 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 01:32:08 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 01:31:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Kits 23/24  (Read 149491 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Kits 23/24
« Reply #2145 on: March 19, 2024, 10:08:20 AM »
The boys modelling the purple;

https://x.com/AVFCOfficial/status/1769749954950521180?s=20
It is an international not Kay's catalogue. Tsk!

There was no apostrophe in Kays! Tsk!

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2146 on: March 19, 2024, 10:09:09 AM »
I like the new blue England kit, particularly with the claret and blue trim.  I won't buy it.

As for flags, I'm no monarchist but I do wonder why as a nation we go through so much self-flagellation.  The Dutch, French, Spanish & Germans and pretty much every other nation display their flags proudly, despite many having a colonial past.  The truth is, that whatever our history, England is one of the most cosmopolitan and tolerant countries in the world - in terms of race, religion and sexual orientation.  Of course we still have problems and there's a lot of work to do, but I'm not sure where these utopias are that are so much better than us?

I'm not a flag waver, or displayer.  I'm not that bothered about the England football team.  And I'm not particularly fond of the Royal family - I'm entirely ambivalent and have no interest in the weddings, funerals or coronations.  But I do think that in the scheme of things England is ok.  And I wonder why we hate ourselves so much.   

I agee with a lot of that Chris. The problem I have is that whenever I see the people who *do* wave flags, I take one look and think 'whatever they are, that's what I'm not'. If nothing else because I enjoy participating in the physical act of love, and those people look like they emerged from bread.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #2147 on: March 19, 2024, 10:20:43 AM »
I think it's because we don't have a history (or living memory) of putting flags everywhere. The debate - like certain others - became hijacked by flag haters and sudden flag obsessives. Watching politicians fight to have most flags in the background when they previously never thought about them. Seeing people frothing at perceived isms because someone has a flag during a football tournament. Hearing "there ain't no black in..."

I find the US flag obsession aggressive and limiting too. The Dutch, meanwhile, have a flag for everything. Depending on the date, you could be seeing the national one, something orange, the rainbow one, the gender one, another country's flag, the city flag, the regional flag, the colours of the Airborne... There's nearly always one flying, just rarely the same one.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2148 on: March 19, 2024, 10:26:05 AM »
There's a chap down the road from us with a massive flagpole in his garden. He flies the flag of whatever country has just done something notable in what seems a fairly random list of sports, so he's got the Irish flag flying at the moment because they won the rugby. In the past he's had the flags of various Tour de France riders, which got the kids a bit excited when he was flying the Manx flag for Mark Cavendish. As an aside, a friend of a friend was arrested in Germany when the World Cup was held there, for taking his IOM flag to a game. They thought it was some far right version of a swastika.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2149 on: March 19, 2024, 10:42:46 AM »
I like the new blue England kit, particularly with the claret and blue trim.  I won't buy it.

As for flags, I'm no monarchist but I do wonder why as a nation we go through so much self-flagellation.  The Dutch, French, Spanish & Germans and pretty much every other nation display their flags proudly, despite many having a colonial past.  The truth is, that whatever our history, England is one of the most cosmopolitan and tolerant countries in the world - in terms of race, religion and sexual orientation.  Of course we still have problems and there's a lot of work to do, but I'm not sure where these utopias are that are so much better than us?

I'm not a flag waver, or displayer.  I'm not that bothered about the England football team.  And I'm not particularly fond of the Royal family - I'm entirely ambivalent and have no interest in the weddings, funerals or coronations.  But I do think that in the scheme of things England is ok.  And I wonder why we hate ourselves so much.   

I agee with a lot of that Chris. The problem I have is that whenever I see the people who *do* wave flags, I take one look and think 'whatever they are, that's what I'm not'. If nothing else because I enjoy participating in the physical act of love, and those people look like they emerged from bread.

The thing is, if we continue to mock or shun the flag, then we're letting the far right continue to take it over.  I've got no problem with people trying to take it back and fly it in more positive circumstances, including kids watching English sports teams, whether football, rugby, cricket or hockey etc.

If we continue to hate ourselves and slag ourselves off at every opportunity, is it any surprise that everyone else seem to too?

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #2150 on: March 19, 2024, 10:45:38 AM »
I might rue the day, but what's wrong with calling it the Union Jack? The 'only at sea' thing isn't true is it?

I call it the Union Jack on purpose just to trigger people. The same way that Robbo1874 in Brisbane deliberately refers to Koala “Bears” just to annoy the Aussies who all jump in to correct him. Childish but satisfying

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2151 on: March 19, 2024, 11:12:32 AM »
There's a chap down the road from us with a massive flagpole in his garden. He flies the flag of whatever country has just done something notable in what seems a fairly random list of sports, so he's got the Irish flag flying at the moment because they won the rugby. In the past he's had the flags of various Tour de France riders, which got the kids a bit excited when he was flying the Manx flag for Mark Cavendish. As an aside, a friend of a friend was arrested in Germany when the World Cup was held there, for taking his IOM flag to a game. They thought it was some far right version of a swastika.

There's a house not far from us with a massive shed built onto the side, and a plaque saying "St Andrews" above the door. He too has a full size flagpole which usually flies the union jack, and a collection of wagon wheels / bird houses and old bits of furniture in the front garden.

As if the St Andrews bit alone wasn't enough to signify nutterdom.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #2152 on: March 19, 2024, 11:13:41 AM »
Blue wagon wheels or red ones?

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2153 on: March 19, 2024, 11:17:11 AM »
Blue wagon wheels or red ones?

Moss covered festering ones.

Online ian c.

• GM : 19.06.2024
« Reply #2154 on: March 19, 2024, 11:20:31 AM »

There's a house not far from us with a massive shed built onto the side, and a plaque saying "St Andrews" above the door. He too has a full size flagpole which usually flies the union jack, and a collection of wagon wheels / bird houses and old bits of furniture in the front garden.

Maybe it's reference to the university he attended.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2155 on: March 19, 2024, 11:36:03 AM »

Or he's a keen golfer.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #2156 on: March 19, 2024, 11:38:21 AM »

Or he's a keen golfer.

Or he has gout.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #2157 on: March 19, 2024, 11:40:09 AM »

Would love to have seen their faces once it was pointed out to them

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2158 on: March 19, 2024, 12:53:09 PM »
I have no issue with the flag.
I have some issues with the flag popping up everywhere when England win a game at the world cup/euros.
I have lots of issues with many of the people who feel the need to display the flag all the time.

All flags Paul or just English ones?

Sorry missed this, I don't have a problem with the England flag or any other flag.
I dislike the England flag popping up everywhere during the world cup, etc because it feels a bit cynical from a lot of places, people and companies that couldn't give a fuck about England or Football suddenly trying to prove how patriotic they are because it's good PR.
As for people who want the St George Cross (and definitely not the Union Jack) on display all the time, there may be some who are ok but the vast majority are awful people which has sadly created a reputation that isn't great.

None of this means i hate the country of don't consider myself English, it just makes it a little more complicated.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #2159 on: March 19, 2024, 12:56:34 PM »
My granddad had a flagpole in his garden specifically to fly the union jack.  He'd raise it whenever Villa won, and fly it at half mast if anyone he deemed to be important died (usually former Villa players and the like).

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal