collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Mateu Alemany (with added Alberto Benito and Pablo Rodriguez)  (Read 37852 times)

Offline Dave P

• GM : PCM
Re: Mateu Alemany
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2023, 12:26:25 PM »
If we do get Alemany, I will have many ales.  #shitjoke #sorry

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2023, 12:48:18 PM »
Mateu has the potential to make life Rosé at B6 maybe?

Nice. Your joke that is, not the wine.

Yep, sweet crap it is/was.  Only purchased because of the bottle which when empty you could stick a candle in and for a fleeting moment pretend you were in Portugal. Sophisticated up-cycling even back in the early '80s.   

Nobody here drinks it. In fact nobody here knows why anybody would drink it. It's treated as a bit of a joke and cheap shot at the 'bifes'. Not you, obviously Bren.

As Bren says, isn't it mostly about people liking the bottle rather than the wine?

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2023, 12:54:13 PM »

Yep, sweet crap it is/was.  Only purchased because of the bottle which when empty you could stick a candle in and for a fleeting moment pretend you were in Portugal. Sophisticated up-cycling even back in the early '80s.   

Nobody here drinks it. In fact nobody here knows why anybody would drink it. It's treated as a bit of a joke and cheap shot at the 'bifes'. Not you, obviously Bren.

As Bren says, isn't it mostly about people liking the bottle rather than the wine?

20 million bottles a year are produced. That's a lot of bottle love.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2023, 01:03:15 PM »

Just to be clear, what I mean by that is that people think it's 'fancy' because of the cool bottle and then convince themselves that the wine is good.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2023, 01:09:48 PM »
Like most people, I’d never heard of the bloke until last night and now he’s the best thing since sliced bread and I’m all for it - he seems like he knows his Spanish onions.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2023, 01:09:52 PM »
I suppose it could be worse, we may have been presented with one Craig Gardner.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #36 on: May 03, 2023, 01:17:48 PM »
I hope this finally means we no longer need to be linked to signing Carlton Palmer and Benni McCarthy

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #37 on: May 03, 2023, 01:17:53 PM »
Sounds very promising.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #38 on: May 03, 2023, 01:21:05 PM »

Just to be clear, what I mean by that is that people think it's 'fancy' because of the cool bottle and then convince themselves that the wine is good.

Apparently it was the late Queen that made it fashionable in the 60s. As a side note, I used to know the grandson of the chap that created Mateus Rose. Really nice fella, down to earth, the type you'd never expect to be linked to the biggest wine producers in the country apart from his comical bushy eyebrows. The family company, Sogrape also have among their portfolio the best Portuguese red wine, Barca Velha. And no, he never offered me any, not even a glass.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2023, 01:24:06 PM »

Apparently it was the late Queen that made it fashionable in the 60s. As a side note, I used to know the grandson of the chap that created Mateus Rose. Really nice fella, down to earth, the type you'd never expect to be linked to the biggest wine producers in the country apart from his comical bushy eyebrows.

My in-laws (in their late 70s early 80s) drink it, I imagine they're probably still the target demographic.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2023, 01:34:54 PM »
I like rosé. I haven't had Mateus for years though. There's enough choice to be able to avoid it now.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2023, 01:35:53 PM »

Apparently it was the late Queen that made it fashionable in the 60s. As a side note, I used to know the grandson of the chap that created Mateus Rose. Really nice fella, down to earth, the type you'd never expect to be linked to the biggest wine producers in the country apart from his comical bushy eyebrows.

My in-laws (in their late 70s early 80s) drink it, I imagine they're probably still the target demographic.

Funny you say that I've just read this from the current winemaker - warning, contains complete and utter bollox.

Which consumer audiences are you targeting currently?

Diogo Sepúlveda: 'Mateus is a brand with universal reach in the journey through the world of wine. People who are starting out on their journey may try Mateus and enjoy it, thus remaining faithful to it for the rest of their lives. But there are many others who ‘visit’ other types of wines and then return to Mateus when the occasion calls for it.'

'So, the target runs from urban consumers, who follow the world through social media to those who value privacy and appreciate time out to enjoy a great landscape in the company of loved ones in a relaxing way.'

I did warn you!

Offline Clampy

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2023, 01:36:09 PM »
I just have half a bottle of Blue Nun.

Offline Clampy

« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2023, 01:37:18 PM »
Oh, an intriguing appointment by the way if it comes off.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2023, 01:39:27 PM »
I won’t pretend to know much about the director of football things but reading about this fella I get the feeling this is proper big statement stuff

I’ve said before I think the owners will give Emery everything he wants because they trust him and think they have the right man at last. clearly this is one of them

For me it’s continuing to build the foundations for a long-term strategy
Bloody hell I can’t believe I actually wrote that and I’m reminded of a night long ago losing away at Barnsley with De Mateo as manager thinking what the fuck am I doing here

We’ve come a long long way together (Fatboy slim)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal