collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window - The Verdict.  (Read 69523 times)

Offline rooboy316

• GM : 27.09.2024
Re: January Transfer Window - The Verdict.
« Reply #915 on: April 03, 2023, 10:31:18 AM »
It’s also hard to judge Lange’s dealings with complete accuracy without knowing which signings were his recommendations and which came from other sources. Coutinho seems like one that was down to Gerrard. And it appears as though back channeling with agents is becoming more and more common.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #916 on: April 03, 2023, 10:37:29 AM »
I thought it was possibly telling that Chambers got the nod over Donk at half time.

Wasn't it simply that he wanted to go 3 at the back, with Chambers on the right, to nullify the threat from Chillwell.

The Donk played in a 3 for Belgium, did ok too at the WC. Don't think Emery rates him all that much and he's running out of opportunities to impress..

Think he was also mainly a CB at Anderlecht before playing more in midfield at Wolves.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #917 on: April 03, 2023, 10:39:45 AM »
I thought it was possibly telling that Chambers got the nod over Donk at half time.

Wasn't it simply that he wanted to go 3 at the back, with Chambers on the right, to nullify the threat from Chillwell.

The Donk played in a 3 for Belgium, did ok too at the WC. Don't think Emery rates him all that much and he's running out of opportunities to impress..

Think he was also mainly a CB at Anderlecht before playing more in midfield at Wolves.

He was an absolute must buy on Championship Manager as a youngster at Anderlecht, he'd underpin a decade of success from the base of the midfield.

Online SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #918 on: April 03, 2023, 11:06:47 AM »

I don't think he's ever forgiven him for that Stevenage miscontrol and subsequent red card.

Yes Kamara did the same a few weeks later but that was just a league game and loss of three points rather than the cup where we could've had a really good run way draw opened up.

Donk is limited but he did start the wins v Brentford and Man. United which were fantastic performances so we've signed far far worse in 12-15m bracket.

If we move him, Sanson and Marvellous on full time in summer that will give us enough space to have Tim in first team squad and also sign a Guendouzi type so with the existing set that's more than enough for first six months of next season (even if we make europe).

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #919 on: April 03, 2023, 11:18:48 AM »

I don't think he's ever forgiven him for that Stevenage miscontrol and subsequent red card.

Yes Kamara did the same a few weeks later but that was just a league game and loss of three points rather than the cup where we could've had a really good run way draw opened up.

Donk is limited but he did start the wins v Brentford and Man. United which were fantastic performances so we've signed far far worse in 12-15m bracket.

If we move him, Sanson and Marvellous on full time in summer that will give us enough space to have Tim in first team squad and also sign a Guendouzi type so with the existing set that's more than enough for first six months of next season (even if we make europe).

The Donk is a strange one for me. He has an excellent pedigree at club and international level. We were in dire need of some physical presence in midfield when he signed. But since the Stevenage game he's hardly had a sniff, granted Luiz in particular has been excellent and he's had that hand injury too. I thought it a bit strange Kamara started yesterday ahead of the Donk and then Chambers coming into a 3 suggest he's a long way down the pecking order really.
I see Twitter bots raving about Nakamba's performance for Luton yesterday and Sanson seems to be going very well on loan too. At least we might get some money back on all three in the summer with Tim and probably Guendouzi coming in.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #920 on: April 03, 2023, 01:21:56 PM »

The Donk is a strange one for me. He has an excellent pedigree at club and international level. We were in dire need of some physical presence in midfield when he signed. But since the Stevenage game he's hardly had a sniff, granted Luiz in particular has been excellent and he's had that hand injury too. I thought it a bit strange Kamara started yesterday ahead of the Donk and then Chambers coming into a 3 suggest he's a long way down the pecking order really.
I see Twitter bots raving about Nakamba's performance for Luton yesterday and Sanson seems to be going very well on loan too. At least we might get some money back on all three in the summer with Tim and probably Guendouzi coming in.

Costly Stevenage slip up aside, I don't really think Dendoncker has done a lot wrong and is an adequate squad option.  Didn't cost much and is unlikely to be on huge wages either.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #921 on: April 03, 2023, 01:24:24 PM »
I suspect with Digne, if we got a brilliant offer we'd move him on, but otherwise I don't think we'll be focusing much attention on the LB position when there's work to be done elsewhere in the squad.

Much in the way that we probably didn't set out to sell Ings, but received a good offer and opportunistically took it.

Think it's his wages that might be an issue.  Pretty sure he is one of the top earners at the club.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #922 on: April 03, 2023, 05:17:15 PM »
Yep, seemed to be a sop to Gerrard - his first signing as manager, Everton fans angry to see him go, blaming Benitez, seems like we're pulling off a coup. Here's £125k a week for you, son.

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #923 on: April 03, 2023, 05:52:25 PM »
Seen reports it’s actually closer to £165k.

Mental, if so.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal