collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

NSWE Investment by chrisw1
[Today at 05:14:05 PM]

Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:13:03 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by LeeB
[Today at 05:11:35 PM]

Arsenal 0-2 Aston Villa Post match interaction by frankmosswasmyuncle
[Today at 05:04:29 PM]

Villa Park by FrankyH
[Today at 05:02:16 PM]

Lille vs Aston Villa - Conf League QF 2nd leg - pre match chatter by Demitri_C
[Today at 05:00:21 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Dave
[Today at 04:51:22 PM]

Matty Cash - Polish international by Drummond
[Today at 04:39:06 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 2023 Summer transfer window - hopes, needs, expectations and rumours.  (Read 789222 times)

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: 2023 Summer transfer window - hopes, needs, expectations and rumours.
« Reply #1920 on: June 01, 2023, 01:09:35 PM »
Asensio will join PSG, they are champions league and will win domestic honours. They may be selling Neymar and Messi. We are in the conference league and trying to improve. We need to try for these types, but accept that we aren’t going to be a players first choice in this scenario. our offer was just used as leverage with PSG (an agent doing his job)

While I think this is generally true, there are some circumstances where it might also play in our favour.  Asensio will almost certainly choose PSG over us, all other things being equal, but he's already coming from a team that won plenty of trophies, including the Champions League - he's won trophies. But he wasn't the main man, and was never going to be. He's probably not in their best 11, either.  Does he want to potentially find himself in that position again at PSG?  He might well do, a change is as good as a rest after all, but it might be that the 'project' here holds a certain attraction all of its own for someone looking for professional satisfaction.

We'll probably miss out on him, but I still hold hope that Emery can work his magic.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #1921 on: June 01, 2023, 01:12:18 PM »
I think the reason we were pressing him is partly because we have other players on our list with a price tag attached. If we could have got him on a free, then more budget for the rest of our targets, so you can see why we tried him first.

If it doesn't happen, they'll just move onto the next one on the list. It doesn't mean that next name is a poor substitute, just one we will have to pay for.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1922 on: June 01, 2023, 01:16:48 PM »
If Asensio is going to PSG he won’t be playing with Messi it’s just been confirmed.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1923 on: June 01, 2023, 01:23:22 PM »
Talk is Messi wants to go back on Barcelona and forego being paid but there's legal issues complicating it.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1924 on: June 01, 2023, 01:25:50 PM »
I think the reason we were pressing him is partly because we have other players on our list with a price tag attached. If we could have got him on a free, then more budget for the rest of our targets, so you can see why we tried him first.

If it doesn't happen, they'll just move onto the next one on the list. It doesn't mean that next name is a poor substitute, just one we will have to pay for.

If budget was a problem for the players Emery wants to bring in, you would have thought he would have given Young another year and delayed signing a right back for another year.

Question is, does that mean he's confident of bringing in 1 or 2 on a free, giving him more of his budget to focus on certain positions.

Offline Yeltzer

« Reply #1925 on: June 01, 2023, 01:31:19 PM »
It feels like we’re the back up ugly bird in case the fit cool
Girl says no.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1926 on: June 01, 2023, 01:39:57 PM »
It feels like we’re the back up ugly bird in case the fit cool
Girl says no.

They generally say yes anyway, as will we.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #1927 on: June 01, 2023, 02:32:16 PM »

If budget was a problem for the players Emery wants to bring in, you would have thought he would have given Young another year and delayed signing a right back for another year.

Question is, does that mean he's confident of bringing in 1 or 2 on a free, giving him more of his budget to focus on certain positions.

I didn't mean to say that budget is a problem. More that if you can get him on a free and therefore use that money to bolster bids for other areas, you would. I'm sure they have budgeted for paying for a player in his position, which they will have to if he says no.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1928 on: June 01, 2023, 02:53:34 PM »
PSG is all very short term. They will lose Messi at the end of this season, Mbappe next season unless the French PM steps in again. Ramos will retire soon. The PL is a much better league. If he wanted CL he could have stayed in Madrid. We will likely offer as much money if not more than PSG even though they are loaded. We've proven we can compete financially. So it's now about where he wants to play football, live etc. I can see it's not an easy decision so he's right to want to consider his options. Free agency affords you that luxury.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1929 on: June 01, 2023, 03:15:26 PM »
ITSOTP is the only time i get excited ...all the twitter shite is just that, shite

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1930 on: June 01, 2023, 03:17:51 PM »
Beh, The Athletic saying he's going to PSG. What can you do. At least no other PL club got him.

Would've been great but no despair, it's pretty cool that we're shopping in these kinds of places now, I'm sure we'll get someone exciting.

Online cdward

« Reply #1931 on: June 01, 2023, 03:39:08 PM »
From the outside looking in, it appears the players we  signed recently from overseas have settled in very well. Moreno, Carlos, Kamara etc'.
So hopefully any potential new signings will see another good reason to join.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021
« Reply #1932 on: June 01, 2023, 03:51:39 PM »
Would've been great but no despair, it's pretty cool that we're shopping in these kinds of places now, I'm sure we'll get someone exciting.

Shopping in the same way that I like to browse Patek Phillipe watches online.

Offline Chris_Jephcott

• http://www.facebook.com
« Reply #1933 on: June 01, 2023, 03:56:35 PM »
Oh well. FTF!

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1934 on: June 01, 2023, 04:05:02 PM »

Shopping in the same way that I like to browse Patek Phillipe watches online.

Here, have a Swatch instead!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal