collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 05:29:05 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:28:11 PM]

Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:27:35 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:25:54 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:25:04 PM]

Tim Iroegbunam by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:22:42 PM]

FFP by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:18:29 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:17:17 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Robin Olsen by AV84
[Today at 05:29:05 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 05:28:11 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:27:35 PM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:25:54 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:25:04 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by paul_e
[Today at 05:24:21 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by chrisw1
[Today at 05:23:50 PM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:22:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 2023 Summer transfer window - hopes, needs, expectations and rumours.  (Read 797006 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: 2023 Summer transfer window - hopes, needs, expectations and rumours.
« Reply #1605 on: May 29, 2023, 10:31:33 AM »
Yeah. Some players would want european football. To others, it might not matter.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1606 on: May 29, 2023, 10:40:47 AM »
I don’t think Conference league football in itself is going to be a major factor in who we sign.

I think what it will help is as much about keeping players we want to hold on to - visible signs of progress with a clear waypoint achieved rather than just talk

I think those will be the reasons Sawiris and Edens were so happy yesterday, the financial side will be largely negligible.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1607 on: May 29, 2023, 10:43:18 AM »
Yeah. Some players would want european football. To others, it might not matter.

I don’t think it’s necessarily about want it or don’t want it (playing in Europe), it’s a reflection of it being the least prestigious of the leagues.

Waving Champions League football around is obviously entirely different.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1608 on: May 29, 2023, 10:48:01 AM »
Well, it's certainly not going to hurt, let's leave it at that.

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1609 on: May 29, 2023, 10:52:52 AM »
I don’t think Conference league football in itself is going to be a major factor in who we sign.

I think what it will help is as much about keeping players we want to hold on to - visible signs of progress with a clear waypoint achieved rather than just talk

I think those will be the reasons Sawiris and Edens were so happy yesterday, the financial side will be largely negligible.
Yep, I agree. It's more about being able to offer your third choice central defender (Carlos ATM?) enough games to keep them sweet, or to allow us to sign a winger but still keep Leon Bailey reasonably happy with the amount of involvement he'd be getting.

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #1610 on: May 29, 2023, 11:06:11 AM »
We’ll attract the right sort of players. They can see we have a great coach who will improve them and to finish 7th in the PL brings shows the potential. Young, ambitious and of course quality players who will now see us in an entirely different light. European football does help, it’s not the money league but it definitely helps. We have moved up a level in the type of player we can attract.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1611 on: May 29, 2023, 11:23:49 AM »
Regarding Barnes, doesn’t our left midfielder typically drift in field to create space for the LB, whereas Barnes looks more like a ‘chalk on your boots’ winger.  I like the player, but not sure he fits our system and too expensive for a ‘plan b’. 

Most of Barnes goals like yesterday are actually him coming infield and playing 1-2s with whoever the AM is so no reason why he couldn't play role in Emery's system like Ramsey can.

In two minds really. What helps is Leicester going down so there's no chance they can demand 50m with a straight face, he'll be in 25-30m bracket which for someone who hit 13 prem goals is a bargain in today's prices.

However I'm not convinced. Watch Leicester at home to Everton which was a game that basically relegated them and he was non-existent throughout, hardly on the ball and didn't even track back much to help out their LB.

Feels like one of those Alan Thompson types who posts decent stats for relegated team but dosen't have enough to push a 7th place team into top 6 given he would be one of our major summer signings at the price he goes for.

N'zogbia scored 9 league goals for Wigan the season before we signed him but we quickly realised that signing wasn't going to cut it as Ashley Young replacement.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1612 on: May 29, 2023, 11:31:27 AM »
Regarding Barnes, doesn’t our left midfielder typically drift in field to create space for the LB, whereas Barnes looks more like a ‘chalk on your boots’ winger.  I like the player, but not sure he fits our system and too expensive for a ‘plan b’. 

Most of Barnes goals like yesterday are actually him coming infield and playing 1-2s with whoever the AM is so no reason why he couldn't play role in Emery's system like Ramsey can.

In two minds really. What helps is Leicester going down so there's no chance they can demand 50m with a straight face, he'll be in 25-30m bracket which for someone who hit 13 prem goals is a bargain in today's prices.

However I'm not convinced. Watch Leicester at home to Everton which was a game that basically relegated them and he was non-existent throughout, hardly on the ball and didn't even track back much to help out their LB.

Feels like one of those Alan Thompson types who posts decent stats for relegated team but dosen't have enough to push a 7th place team into top 6 given he would be one of our major summer signings at the price he goes for.

N'zogbia scored 9 league goals for Wigan the season before we signed him but we quickly realised that signing wasn't going to cut it as Ashley Young replacement.
I agree, just not convinced when I have  watched him, a bit of a one trick pony but his lack of contribution the rest of the time is concerning.
It’s a no from me.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1613 on: May 29, 2023, 04:30:03 PM »
I don't see us being mad keen on paying the premium for English PL players too often.

Online Goldenballs

« Reply #1614 on: May 29, 2023, 04:40:36 PM »
Getting Zaha on a free on a 2 year deal would be about half the cost of Barnes.

Offline passport1

• "I'm a believer mate"
« Reply #1615 on: May 29, 2023, 04:43:43 PM »
I imagine this is a red herring  and we will be shopping  elsewhere.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1616 on: May 29, 2023, 05:08:51 PM »

Four years ago, Leicester finished 9th. Barnes then helped them to two 5th placed finishes in a row and an FA Cup win. Why does one bad season for Leicester, in which he individually did very well and ended with 13 goals negate the last three years? And given the improvement that Emery has made to just about every single Villa player, why wouldn't he be able to makes Barnes even better? The comparison to N'Zogbia is laughable, sorry.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1617 on: May 29, 2023, 05:11:12 PM »
Getting Zaha on a free on a 2 year deal would be about half the cost of Barnes.

I wouldn't be against Zaha but he'd cost a lot more in wages, and at 30 is 5 years older than Barnes.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1618 on: May 29, 2023, 05:30:15 PM »
It's a little surprising that anyone thinks Barnes isn't a massive upgrade on what we have today at LW. 13 goals from that side of the pitch in a poor side is a super return. He'd be flying with us. He's been very good and at times excellent the past few years including regularly running us ragged down our right.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1619 on: May 29, 2023, 05:33:35 PM »
And throw in Asensio down the other wing and we will be fucking immense on the flanks

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal