collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: I Hate International Breaks  (Read 14063 times)

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
Re: I Hate International Breaks
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2023, 12:11:57 PM »
Saturday is the worst part isn't it?

Yes my son has just finished his game and you think who is on at 12.30 .3, and  5.30 etc

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2023, 12:46:54 PM »
YES annoying. I was trying to keep away from this thread taking or trying to take a view that it's ok and it's necessary but fuck NO, it's horrible.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2023, 12:55:30 PM »
I've just had to drive to Leicester to take my middle daughter to a birthday party, only to find my wife had buggered up the times and it's not until this afternoon. So now I've got to drive to Leicester again, which is never a pastime that I enjoy very much, and I can't even sit and watch football on my phone while I'm there.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2023, 01:00:25 PM »

It's shit.

If no international football at all is the price to pay for having an uninterrupted league campaign, ban away.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2023, 01:30:33 PM »
Good news is that John will be leading the Scots charge against Cyprus at 2.00.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2023, 09:06:06 PM »
Just been watching one of them old Big Match programmes,  lets face it there's fuck all else on.. The rags were away at QPR and to be fair, they looked OK. I was roaring at the likes of Dennis, Dillon and Gemmil who had ref 'round the neck at one point the fucking tramp.

Anyway, a last minute equaliser made me a smile as well as the fact that Carrott was there to watch it.

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2023, 09:09:09 PM »
I've just had to drive to Leicester to take my middle daughter to a birthday party, only to find my wife had buggered up the times and it's not until this afternoon. So now I've got to drive to Leicester again, which is never a pastime that I enjoy very much, and I can't even sit and watch football on my phone while I'm there.

One of your middle daughters, surely?!

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2023, 10:46:13 PM »
I'm the same I miss watching us play it doesn't feel the same without it.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #83 on: March 26, 2023, 11:39:41 AM »

I finish work at 6am on a Saturday morning and I usually hate going to bed and missing half my Saturday. Balls to it in international week though.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #84 on: March 26, 2023, 03:27:51 PM »
How did it work in the 80s? Just playing the qualifiers mid week? But then I see highlights of classic home nations matches and they're in blazing sunshine so suggests they were weekend games.

For as long as I remember there's always been internationals in September, October and then March/April.

One I dislike is the November break, should just have one round of fixtures midweek as that wasn't a thing until a decade or so ago.

Pretty sure in next year or two they're scrapping the September one and will have the matches in October instead (although Uefa/Fifa will probably insist there's a europa nations conference league in its place).

Online Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2023, 02:19:09 PM »
This break has dragged on for months. I'll never disdain an ordinary league game again.

Offline olaftab

« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2023, 02:56:10 PM »
How did it work in the 80s? Just playing the qualifiers mid week? But then I see highlights of classic home nations matches and they're in blazing sunshine so suggests they were weekend games.
There were no breaks in Leagues. All internationals were midweek and players would turn up on Monday and be back with their club on Thursday morning. Only one international game at a time. There is far too much unnecessary baggage attached to international games nowdays. Home nations game were an end of season finale.

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #87 on: March 29, 2023, 03:02:45 PM »
There were no breaks in Leagues. All internationals were midweek and players would turn up on Monday and be back with their club on Thursday morning. Only one international game at a time. There is far too much unnecessary baggage attached to international games nowdays. Home nations game were an end of season finale.

No breaks but there were often qualifiers at end of season from 1980 onwards and then sometimes end of season tours. Oz 83, S America 84 (missed out on Euros), Mexico 85

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #88 on: March 29, 2023, 03:32:02 PM »

For as long as I remember there's always been internationals in September, October and then March/April.

One I dislike is the November break, should just have one round of fixtures midweek as that wasn't a thing until a decade or so ago.

Pretty sure in next year or two they're scrapping the September one and will have the matches in October instead (although Uefa/Fifa will probably insist there's a europa nations conference league in its place).

The Home Internationals games were played at the end of the season. At a time with little live football on TV they we’re quite a big deal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Home_Championship

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #89 on: March 29, 2023, 03:39:49 PM »
There was no need for international breaks then; if you had players picked your match would be postponed until a suitable date and if you had four to play when everyone else had finished, you won them all and stayed up ((C) Coventry, 1985.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal