collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 30 years ago - Stans "crackerjack"  (Read 5711 times)

Online dcdavecollett

Re: 30 years ago - Stans "crackerjack"
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2023, 12:20:44 AM »
Yeah, I was on the Lower Holte that day, though not right behind the line like you.

Stan scored a few of these over the years, including a late winner at Cov in the same season.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2023, 03:19:25 AM »
Yeah, he did have one hell of a left foot. I think I remember a game I taped the highlights of as a kid, when we beat Wimbledon 5-0 (?)

He was running full pelt down the left, had basically run out of pitch, then out of nowhere whipped in a cross that had the power of a Roberto Carlos free kick.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #17 on: April 04, 2023, 11:39:03 PM »
Yes, he did have that 'whip' in his crosses that made him such a dangerous deliverer of dead balls, apart from his shooting.

I loved his attitude, too -whenever Villa were struggling, he always wanted the ball.

Online Deano's Mullet

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2023, 10:47:35 PM »
That Wimbledon game he crossed from the wing- playing from centre back - for Taylor to score. 1994-95 he was getting assists most weeks playing as a left midfielder for a lot of it once Brian Little had joined. Free kick wise I remember three really - one he scored vs Everton, the second vs Bilbao in the UEFA Cup when he put a really venomous shot in on goal.  The other was in the cup final when he forced a safe from Les Sealey. He scored at least twice direct from a corner too.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2023, 12:40:31 AM »
I remember him crossing this great ball right on to Deano's nut at Hillsborough, with DS glancing it into the net in a 2-1 win in 1995.

I couldn't stop myself celebrating, even though I was in with the home fans.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2023, 11:24:41 AM »
Not appropriate to mark it with a new thread, but it's 30 years to the day today that Fergie Time was invented with those late goals against Wednesday turning the title away from us.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2023, 11:50:37 AM »
Not appropriate to mark it with a new thread, but it's 30 years to the day today that Fergie Time was invented with those late goals against Wednesday turning the title away from us.

Still makes me angry whenever I get reminded. What was the 95th and 97th minutes for a game with virtually no stoppages?

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2023, 12:28:41 PM »
Same here, it still raises my hackles. I got down from the top of the North Stand, round the ground and had reached Aston Hall when they scored.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2023, 01:05:26 PM »
Memory tells us both goals were in injury time but the first one was 86th min, a Weds defender on the line making no effort to try and stop it. The other was late on but we tend to also forget that the ref got crocked and had to be replaced and by all accounts Sheff Weds did a mass of time wasting.

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2023, 02:30:47 PM »
Bloody hell  you can prove anything with facts. 😁

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2023, 07:30:37 PM »
It was bollocks and still borderline at the time as to how much they added on IIRC.

However, we had run out of ideas and steam, as was demonstrated v Cov that day.  nicked a goal win at Highbury a few days later but they had 2 Cup Finals coming up. And beat Cit-eh who gifted us the game the next one. We were playing catch up after Cov game. We win that one and the pressure heaps back to them and they hadn't handled it well the year before.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2023, 10:18:05 AM »
It was bollocks and still borderline at the time as to how much they added on IIRC.

However, we had run out of ideas and steam, as was demonstrated v Cov that day.  nicked a goal win at Highbury a few days later but they had 2 Cup Finals coming up. And beat Cit-eh who gifted us the game the next one. We were playing catch up after Cov game. We win that one and the pressure heaps back to them and they hadn't handled it well the year before.

They won their last 7 games, there wasn't any room to make the slips we did. Not putting Cov away, losing at Norwich and Sid taking us apart at Blackburn killed us

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2023, 05:50:55 PM »
I remember hearing we were three down at Blackburn, I was on the front green playing football with neighbours. I couldn't believe it. Hope Sid apologised in any post-match interviews.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2023, 07:38:46 PM »
I was there. We had a limited allocation due to redevelopment and they put us in their ancient main stand. I recall walking through the tiny, wooden corridor to the toilet at HT, stunned at the score with Duran Durans latest single echoing in the background, aptly titled "Come Undone".

The feeling of loss and desolation, knowing it was all but gone and to lose it to them of all teams. I've never got over it.

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2023, 11:26:55 AM »
I was there. We had a limited allocation due to redevelopment and they put us in their ancient main stand. I recall walking through the tiny, wooden corridor to the toilet at HT, stunned at the score with Duran Durans latest single echoing in the background, aptly titled "Come Undone".

The feeling of loss and desolation, knowing it was all but gone and to lose it to them of all teams. I've never got over it.

The thing about that Blackburn game was we should have been 2 up before they scored. Oh that and rushing Dalian back into the team at Yorkes expense.

However the two home 0-0 draws with Spurs and Cov were what did for us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal