collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Leon Bailey - signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 04:52:43 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Footy-Vill
[Today at 04:49:46 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 04:49:27 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 04:47:52 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 04:47:48 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Jane
[Today at 04:47:05 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:46:48 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Axl Rose
[Today at 04:46:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 30 years ago - Stans "crackerjack"  (Read 5725 times)

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
Re: 30 years ago - Stans "crackerjack"
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2023, 10:51:30 AM »
I was there. We had a limited allocation due to redevelopment and they put us in their ancient main stand. I recall walking through the tiny, wooden corridor to the toilet at HT, stunned at the score with Duran Durans latest single echoing in the background, aptly titled "Come Undone".

The feeling of loss and desolation, knowing it was all but gone and to lose it to them of all teams. I've never got over it.

The thing about that Blackburn game was we should have been 2 up before they scored. Oh that and rushing Dalian back into the team at Yorkes expense.

However the two home 0-0 draws with Spurs and Cov were what did for us.
I went to both home games against Coventry & Spurs, very frustrating. We totally dominated both games and should have won both about 3-4 nil. Our luck just ran out. How many times did Deano hit the woodwork in the run in, when prior to that everything was hitting the back of the net. 

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2023, 11:17:38 AM »
That clearance off the line by Justin Edinburgh

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2023, 11:28:59 AM »
I think that might have been the Spurs game I went in the away end as the Holte had filled and we were locked out. As many Villa in there as Spurs fans.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2023, 11:39:38 AM »
If we had won the league in that season, do you think the next 10 years would have panned out differently?

Personally - I don't think it would have been that different but I was only 12 at the time

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2023, 12:05:36 PM »
If we had won the league in that season, do you think the next 10 years would have panned out differently?

Personally - I don't think it would have been that different but I was only 12 at the time

I don't think it would have changed much. The only possible question is whether Ferguson would have stayed there after losing out twice.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2023, 01:24:37 PM »

I don't think it would have changed much. The only possible question is whether Ferguson would have stayed there after losing out twice.

The main thing that happened is that Ellis carried on running Villa like the provincial businessman he was. Man U realised the opportunity the Premier League was bringing in and reacted accordingly. That mindset combined with Ferguson's managerial ability was a tremendously powerful combination. Same with Arsenal and Wenger. Liverpool had the global reach but never really picked the right manager to capitalise on it.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2023, 06:17:16 PM »
I was there. We had a limited allocation due to redevelopment and they put us in their ancient main stand. I recall walking through the tiny, wooden corridor to the toilet at HT, stunned at the score with Duran Durans latest single echoing in the background, aptly titled "Come Undone".

The feeling of loss and desolation, knowing it was all but gone and to lose it to them of all teams. I've never got over it.

The thing about that Blackburn game was we should have been 2 up before they scored. Oh that and rushing Dalian back into the team at Yorkes expense.

However the two home 0-0 draws with Spurs and Cov were what did for us.
I went to both home games against Coventry & Spurs, very frustrating. We totally dominated both games and should have won both about 3-4 nil. Our luck just ran out. How many times did Deano hit the woodwork in the run in, when prior to that everything was hitting the back of the net. 

Yeah but what was our xG in those games...

Online AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #37 on: April 14, 2023, 09:38:23 PM »

The main thing that happened is that Ellis carried on running Villa like the provincial businessman he was. Man U realised the opportunity the Premier League was bringing in and reacted accordingly. That mindset combined with Ferguson's managerial ability was a tremendously powerful combination. Same with Arsenal and Wenger. Liverpool had the global reach but never really picked the right manager to capitalise on it.

At least Liverpool kept on ticking the trophy count over though even if not at the same rate as the seventies/eighties.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2023, 09:40:25 PM »

Very true.  Atkinson was soon being overtaken by more modern managers by 93.  Winning the league Cup papered over the cracks in 94, as we were generally underwhelming in the league for the rest of his reign.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2023, 02:10:09 AM »
The thud on the post sound is glorious

Online CorkVilla

« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2023, 03:20:30 AM »
How does one score a goal directly from a corner kick? Seems almost impossible but Staunton used to do it quite often. I remember him doing it at least twice for Ireland.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2023, 12:24:16 PM »
How does one score a goal directly from a corner kick? Seems almost impossible but Staunton used to do it quite often. I remember him doing it at least twice for Ireland.

Thankfully, his spirit lives on in Dougee Luiz.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2023, 12:48:45 PM »
The first goal scored direct from a corner if my memory holds up was by Harry Burrows at home to Leyton Orient about 1961/62.  They were rare back then, at least for me.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #43 on: June 30, 2023, 12:19:02 AM »
I vaguely remember Johnny McLeod scoring direct from a right-wing corner against Charlton Athletic in January 1968 in a 4-1 win.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2023, 12:32:43 AM »
I'll correct myself!

It was at home to Derby County two weeks earlier.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal