collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by AV84
[April 30, 2024, 11:56:01 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by eamonn
[April 30, 2024, 11:51:07 PM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by ASHTONVILLA
[April 30, 2024, 11:44:13 PM]

NSWE Investment by luke95
[April 30, 2024, 11:17:05 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by garyellis
[April 30, 2024, 10:55:43 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by Dogtanian
[April 30, 2024, 10:41:39 PM]

Champions League Contention by dave.woodhall
[April 30, 2024, 10:28:40 PM]

Kits 23/24 by KRS
[April 30, 2024, 09:53:38 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: UEFA Europa Conference League - Alkmaar, Legia and Zrinjski  (Read 372767 times)

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
Re: UEFA Europa Conference League
« Reply #2610 on: July 19, 2023, 10:12:51 PM »
Is it just me , or does the permutations of seeding , fixtures , cup draws and all the other gubbins that go with Europa Conference League seem more complex than Quantum Physics.

We'll probably get drawn against Hajduk Split.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #2611 on: July 19, 2023, 10:16:17 PM »
Is it just me , or does the permutations of seeding , fixtures , cup draws and all the other gubbins that go with Europa Conference League seem more complex than Quantum Physics.

I wouldn't mind a trip to their Poljud ground.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #2612 on: July 19, 2023, 10:34:17 PM »

Yes agree. Im just waiting for someone to tell me exactly what is happening, given up trying to work it out.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2613 on: July 20, 2023, 10:51:45 PM »
Derry, Dundalk, Linfield, Crusaders and Haverfordwest are through in tonight's qualifiers.
St. Pat's, Glentoran and Connah's Quay Nomads are out.
Shamrock Rovers and Larne lost in last night's CL qualifiers and have dropped into the UECL.

Online coreyfeldman

« Reply #2614 on: July 20, 2023, 10:53:44 PM »

I wouldn't mind a trip to their Poljud ground.

It's fucking well rowdy over there, would make me nervous that one. Most of the balkans tbh, and Greece would be scary and all

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2615 on: July 20, 2023, 11:55:16 PM »
Comedy own goal for St. Pat's tonight but it still wasn't enough. https://twitter.com/brfootball/status/1682127679410012160

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2616 on: July 21, 2023, 01:42:09 AM »
Derry, Dundalk, Linfield, Crusaders and Haverfordwest are through in tonight's qualifiers.
Shamrock Rovers and Larne lost in last night's CL qualifiers and have dropped into the UECL.

The Irish/UK teams that got knocked out - would they have expected to beat the clubs they came up against? ie which countries were they from?
I only heard that Derry City had squeaked through in their Conference League tie and I thought they might have taken a scalp. Then I saw it was a bunch of amateurs from the Faroe Islands! FFS!

I don't see how things have noticeably improved since the switch to summer soccer in Ireland. Ostensibly done to improve European chances and improve attendances but apart from Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers making a Europa group stage before being also-rans, has anything actually got better as a whole for the League of Ireland?

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #2617 on: July 21, 2023, 07:27:35 AM »

The Irish/UK teams that got knocked out - would they have expected to beat the clubs they came up against? ie which countries were they from?
I only heard that Derry City had squeaked through in their Conference League tie and I thought they might have taken a scalp. Then I saw it was a bunch of amateurs from the Faroe Islands! FFS!

I don't see how things have noticeably improved since the switch to summer soccer in Ireland. Ostensibly done to improve European chances and improve attendances but apart from Dundalk and Shamrock Rovers making a Europa group stage before being also-rans, has anything actually got better as a whole for the League of Ireland?
Dunno about the others, but ..

Welsh clubs in Europe:

Haverfordwest did brilliantly to win against Shkėndija. They finished 7th in the Welsh league, only qualified through the playoffs, and on paper had the hardest draw of the Conference League clubs. Lost 1-0 in the away leg, won 1-0 in the home leg. Sure home advantage helps for them - it's a git of a place to get to.

Connah's Quay Nomads - lost to KA (Iceland) 4-0 on agg. Slightly disappointing, thought it was a winnable game for CQN and the next round would've seen them play Dundalk, another potentially beatable team.

Penybont - lost to Santa Colomba (Andorra). Disappointing. There's not many national leagues that you'd expect Welsh teams to generally go in favourites against. I mentioned CQN's games as winnable - that was glass half full territory, realistically the Icelandic league is much stronger than the Welsh league currently. Penybont I thought were nailed on to go through.

The New Saints - lost to Hacken BK (Sweden). As expected really. Kept the scores respectable, which is a good start. They've got some club from Luxembourg next round. Beat them and I think maybe TNS have a chance of making the group stages, if they get a kind draw. There's 3 or 4 decent sides in the Champions Path for the Conference League, but they're mostly ones that are ... well, they're winnable games in the sense that it might be a bit of an unexpected result, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 07:31:02 AM by algy »

Offline algy

« Reply #2618 on: July 21, 2023, 07:42:35 AM »
Overall, it's been a reasonably decent year for the Welsh clubs. You don't expect much, you know that the best Welsh players - the ones who are good enough to be professional footballers & identified as such will play in the English league, so you're hoping for Mark Delaney undiscovered gems and getting the most out of semi-pro footballers.

Haverfordwest did well, and I'm still hopeful that at some point TNS will do something. I know they're not particularly popular with most Welsh football fans, but the way I see it is that they represent the best chance of raising the profile of the Welsh game, maybe making it slightly more attractive for Welsh players to stay in Wales. And bring Merthyr Town in to the Welsh league system maybe - they're an outlier in being a side playing in England but would maybe be better off in the Welsh league (and the Welsh league would be better with them in it). Especially now that Colwyn Bay have moved over.

Offline teamvillage

« Reply #2619 on: July 21, 2023, 11:04:38 AM »
What do you mean stay in Wales, Algy? TNS is in England!

Gutted about Penybont, had already pencilled in a trip across from Cardiff for the next round...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 11:06:28 AM by teamvillage »

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #2620 on: July 21, 2023, 02:37:04 PM »

Dunno about the others, but ..

Welsh clubs in Europe:

Haverfordwest did brilliantly to win against Shkėndija. They finished 7th in the Welsh league, only qualified through the playoffs, and on paper had the hardest draw of the Conference League clubs. Lost 1-0 in the away leg, won 1-0 in the home leg. Sure home advantage helps for them - it's a git of a place to get to.

Connah's Quay Nomads - lost to KA (Iceland) 4-0 on agg. Slightly disappointing, thought it was a winnable game for CQN and the next round would've seen them play Dundalk, another potentially beatable team.

Penybont - lost to Santa Colomba (Andorra). Disappointing. There's not many national leagues that you'd expect Welsh teams to generally go in favourites against. I mentioned CQN's games as winnable - that was glass half full territory, realistically the Icelandic league is much stronger than the Welsh league currently. Penybont I thought were nailed on to go through.

The New Saints - lost to Hacken BK (Sweden). As expected really. Kept the scores respectable, which is a good start. They've got some club from Luxembourg next round. Beat them and I think maybe TNS have a chance of making the group stages, if they get a kind draw. There's 3 or 4 decent sides in the Champions Path for the Conference League, but they're mostly ones that are ... well, they're winnable games in the sense that it might be a bit of an unexpected result, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

Gutted Pen-y-Bont went out, but brilliant news for Welsh league that Haverfordwest got through as it currently means that 4 teams from Welsh premier will qualify for Europe again this season.

Online AV84

« Reply #2621 on: July 21, 2023, 02:39:20 PM »
Haverfordwest sounds like a town that would buy a monorail

Offline algy

« Reply #2622 on: July 21, 2023, 02:55:49 PM »

Gutted about Penybont, had already pencilled in a trip across from Cardiff for the next round...
Nah, people bring this up but I'm not having it. Croesoswallt* is Welsh. It's blatantly obvious that it's Welsh to anyone who's been there. It may be the 'wrong' side of the border, but I'm not having it that it's anything other than a predominantly Welsh town. In fact, I'm going down Wrexham barracks tonight to round up the TAs and we're gonna take the fucker back.

* I know technically they don't play in Oswestry either ...

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #2623 on: July 21, 2023, 08:42:11 PM »

Nah, people bring this up but I'm not having it. Croesoswallt* is Welsh. It's blatantly obvious that it's Welsh to anyone who's been there. It may be the 'wrong' side of the border, but I'm not having it that it's anything other than a predominantly Welsh town. In fact, I'm going down Wrexham barracks tonight to round up the TAs and we're gonna take the fucker back.

* I know technically they don't play in Oswestry either ...

I thought TNS were Total Network Solutions, are they the same team as The New Saints?

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #2624 on: July 22, 2023, 08:21:31 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal