collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Champions League Contention by chrisw1
[Today at 10:15:34 AM]

Peter McParland 90 today by eamonn
[Today at 10:15:18 AM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by tomd2103
[Today at 10:06:28 AM]

Games Moved for TV by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 10:03:28 AM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 09:44:04 AM]

NSWE Investment by pauliewalnuts
[Today at 09:29:01 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 09:10:10 AM]

Ollie Watkins by LeeB
[Today at 08:12:59 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: UEFA Europa Conference League - Alkmaar, Legia and Zrinjski  (Read 372961 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Europe
« Reply #1140 on: May 06, 2023, 07:20:58 PM »
Fuck it. Might be nuts but I say we still make it. We do Spurs next weekend, we will get a point at Anfield and beat Brighton. Spurs to draw vs Brentford and then lose last day at relegation threatened Leeds. We take that last spot.

Nah. That's the sort of thing that Arsenal fans are saying despite their title ambitions evaporating weeks ago. We won't win another game this season. Draw against Spurs, losses to both Liverpool and Brighton. Emery's still done a great job, but this tail off is hugely disappointing.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1141 on: May 06, 2023, 07:39:37 PM »
If we are going to go down in this fight for that last spot then let’s go down swinging. I don’t believe we will just throw in the towel. Everyone at the club wants to be in with a chance going into the last two games. Spurs on paper have easier games than us after next week but it won’t matter if we don’t put ourselves in position to put pressure on them. A big performance next week and we are right back in it.

It will be interesting to see how Emery approachs next week. I get the feeling he'll play it like the away game, keep things tight and 0-0 at half time and then step it up second.

I think we need to come out swinging like v Newcastle. It might go wrong but the manager talks of us playing with more risk so this is a perfect game to do that.

Liverpool and Newcastle were 3 or 4 nil up in first 15 minutes v this lot so you don't need endless exceptional moves to come off to score goals v Spurs.

Think crowd will start getting a bit tetchy again if we show fear in our play aswell.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #1142 on: May 06, 2023, 07:58:36 PM »
Didn’t NSWE have a five-year plan to be ‘best of the rest’? We’re there or thereabouts now I’d say. Time for the next plan?

Offline Risso

« Reply #1143 on: May 06, 2023, 07:59:19 PM »
Spurs haven't been great, but Kane has 8 goals in his last 9 league games including 3 in the last 4, and Son has 4 in 6. Watkins has 0 in 4 and doesn't really look like he's getting back to his form before that any time soon.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1144 on: May 06, 2023, 08:53:40 PM »
Spurs haven't been great, but Kane has 8 goals in his last 9 league games including 3 in the last 4, and Son has 4 in 6. Watkins has 0 in 4 and doesn't really look like he's getting back to his form before that any time soon.

You might end up being right. Last three weekends haven’t been great and maybe we’ve run out of steam at the wrong moment. I just think there is one more big effort next week and we beat Spurs leaving it all in the balance with two games to go. But 4 points from the last 12 has put a massive dent in our chances so it’s an uphill climb.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2023, 08:55:17 PM by Toronto Villa »

Offline Risso

« Reply #1145 on: May 06, 2023, 09:04:34 PM »

You might end up being right. Last three weekends haven’t been great and maybe we’ve run out of steam at the wrong moment. I just think there is one more big effort next week and we beat Spurs leaving it all in the balance with two games to go. But 4 points from the last 12 has put a massive dent in our chances so it’s an uphill climb.

We need to beat them 3-0 just to go ahead of them. They've then got Brentford at home and Leeds away. We've got Liverpool away and Brighton at home. No chance we're finishing above them, basically.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1146 on: May 06, 2023, 09:11:18 PM »
We need to get to that final weekend with a shot at overtaking them. Much like Brighton will be hard for us Leeds away won’t be easy for them if Leeds need the points. Like I said, you’re probably right we fall short but it’s not over.

Offline Risso

« Reply #1147 on: May 06, 2023, 09:14:29 PM »
Leeds are dreadful. Spurs will beat them easily, whether Leeds need the points or not. Brighton are probably the most in form team in the league right now other than Man City, and need the points too. I'd much rather have to face Leeds than them.

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #1148 on: May 06, 2023, 09:20:02 PM »
That might be true but Spurs have lost plenty of games that on paper they should have done better in. If we beat them it’s not over.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #1149 on: May 06, 2023, 09:47:13 PM »
After Project Gerrard, getting ourselves in the position where European football was even a possibility has required us to maintain the third best form in the league over more than half of the season. However, we aren’t the third best team in the league, so the fact that we haven’t been able to maintain that form over the last 4-games shouldn’t be too surprising or dispiriting. It does feel like teams have been able to work us out, so I’m hoping that recruitment in the summer will allow us to adapt better to different opposition.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #1150 on: May 07, 2023, 12:31:49 AM »
I think Brentford will beat Spurs and they'll beat Leeds. I just also think we'll lose to Liverpool and at best get a draw against Brighton so it won't matter.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1151 on: May 07, 2023, 12:44:11 AM »

Yes their forwards will be a problem and can always decide tight games.

Just shows we need far more in final third next season if we seriously want to challenge for 6th or above. Son's had a very poor season but still got 10 premier league goals which is still more than Bailey and Buendia's combined totals which puts things in perspective a bit.

Duran punts are all well and good but we need some proven quality and also give Archer a proper chance.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #1152 on: May 07, 2023, 05:58:11 AM »
Or maybe, maybe our players shouldn't have been giving away our tactics in interviews! But meh, I'm sure that actually made no difference, you just have to wonder.

Yes, that's what I and a mate chatted about yesterday too. Ever since we told the world about exactly what Watkins now does, he has been shut down. And Ten Hag did a number on us for sure, completely nullifying our midfeld. I can't help thinking all our crowing in the press about what we do has had some impact.

Anyway, said mate of mine is a hopeless pessimist who always predict we'll lose. It's clearly self-aimed reverse psychology but he also proceeded to say we will now end the season with five straight losses. Which I nervously laughed away. But now I can't get it out of my head.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1153 on: May 07, 2023, 06:26:26 AM »
Add me to the list of worriers that we were spilling our secrets a bit too readily.

And add a side order of very gentle fury at the people who moan that we never get 'credit' in the media after a half-decent draw against Ipswich. I am a rationalist. I therefore believe in the savage power of the jinx, as it relates to football. Whatever 'credit' is, we got it a few weeks ago. It now looks like that's all we're getting

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1154 on: May 07, 2023, 07:18:40 AM »
All the managers get all the tapes of all the games.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal