collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 08:40:29 PM]

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Forge10
[Today at 08:38:28 PM]

Re: Robin Olsen by ASHTONVILLA
[Today at 08:37:36 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 08:37:32 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Skerra
[Today at 08:35:57 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Skerra
[Today at 08:33:49 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by dave.woodhall
[Today at 08:33:32 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Goldenballs
[Today at 08:31:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: That Night- 20 Years On  (Read 12660 times)

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: That Night- 20 Years On
« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2023, 01:26:39 PM »
No, if you're going to drop the nut at least hit his nose and spill some bloody claret.

...and leave him feeling blue?

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2023, 01:33:36 PM »
A Tesco-bag supporter mate of mine from the Wood was born on the 3rd March. I was tempted to send him a Happy ****** Night! on FB but 1) He would be nonplussed and 2) He's a great lad.

My son’s birthday today - an easy one for me to remember. Also, the 1983 game (Blake butting McMahon, “Brum’s day of shame” - according to the mail) was on my birthday. Unusually, I watched both games from the Trinity.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2023, 01:43:43 PM »
I wasn't at the 03 game, but went the year after and that was extremely tetchy as well, the game where Stern John equalised. I've never seen so many police dogs before or since. Three crap years against them, with no wins, two draws and four defeats. Thankfully the universe has righted those wrongs in no small measure since.

That Stern John game was awful. Was living on Kos at the time and couldn't bear to watch the last couple of minutes so went to the toilet, leaving my girlfriend at the bar to carry on watching.

I came out of the toilet when I thought it was safe, and her face told me everything I didn't want to know.

I was sat next to somebody who turned out to be a Nose in the Holte End. We'd exchanged a couple of words during the game, nothing much, then when Stern John equalised he wasn't bright enough to contain his excitement. He tried to give an old chap a slap, then got a proper good shoeing himself on his way out.

Sounds absolutely dreadful, mate.

I absolutely love beating those bastards.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2023, 01:56:51 PM »
I wasn't at the 03 game, but went the year after and that was extremely tetchy as well, the game where Stern John equalised. I've never seen so many police dogs before or since. Three crap years against them, with no wins, two draws and four defeats. Thankfully the universe has righted those wrongs in no small measure since.

I remember that match the year after too, and recall the sheer numbers of police dogs really vividly - basically from the Leisure Centre car park to the ground it was an unbroken line of coppers with dogs.

I've genuinely never seen so many police at a football match since then.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2023, 01:59:00 PM »
Thankfully I wasn't there that night. Was the violence random/spontaneous, or was it more of the Danny Dyer 'pwopah nawty' variety?

It was arranged, spontaneous, targeted, random, intense and brutal. I wasn't at the Rangers game but it was by far the worst I've ever known.

And it was mostly perpetrated by 'us'?

A lot of it, yes. Blues fans had started to believe their own publicity, that all Villa fans would cower when confronted by their might. Quite a number had tickets in home stands and basically took the piss and were shocked that there were people who would react badly. That’s not to justify anything but rather to give it some context. It culminated, if that’s the right word, with about 30-40 Villa fans running from the Holte down in front of the Witton Lane to get at them.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #35 on: March 03, 2023, 02:01:03 PM »

I remember that match the year after too, and recall the sheer numbers of police dogs really vividly - basically from the Leisure Centre car park to the ground it was an unbroken line of coppers with dogs.

Was that the awful Sorensen mistake game?

I was in the Lower Holte for that, depressed, watching Heskey, David Dunn and Damien fucking Johnson run us ragged.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #36 on: March 03, 2023, 02:20:49 PM »

Was that the awful Sorensen mistake game?

I was in the Lower Holte for that, depressed, watching Heskey, David Dunn and Damien fucking Johnson run us ragged.

No, that one was on my fucking birthday

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #37 on: March 03, 2023, 02:22:11 PM »

The grassy hill between Trinty Road and Aston Hall must have had hundreds of them. About every 6 foot there was a copper with a vicious looking dog. Horrible atmosphere.

Online garyellis

« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2023, 02:37:24 PM »
Wasn’t there 20 years ago but I agree a horrible night all round even with a lot of their crew getting a reality check.
I was at the 1968 game when the Doc was in charge. I was only a kid and it frightened the shit our of me outside the ground and inside where I was stood on the Holte.

Offline Dr Butler

• GM : 10.08.2022
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2023, 02:50:53 PM »
a horrible night, against a horrible club, with a horrible performance and a horrible result to boot...

UTV
The Doc

Online Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2023, 03:08:31 PM »
One of the only times I've left Villa Park early (just after Gudjonsson got sent off) because it wasn't going to be worth the hassle at full time.

I was with my now wife who used to some with us quite a bit, home and away, and it's the only time I've left a game early because I was worried for her.

Good for you mate. I mean, you could've stayed with her and backed her up, but if you felt you had to get away, you had to get away. And I'm sure she was fine in the end anyway. Did you wait outside for her? Wink.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #41 on: March 03, 2023, 03:19:23 PM »
One of the only times I've left Villa Park early (just after Gudjonsson got sent off) because it wasn't going to be worth the hassle at full time.

I was with my now wife who used to some with us quite a bit, home and away, and it's the only time I've left a game early because I was worried for her.

Good for you mate. I mean, you could've stayed with her and backed her up, but if you felt you had to get away, you had to get away. And I'm sure she was fine in the end anyway. Did you wait outside for her? Wink.

No, I meant I left with her.

Because I know I'm faster and then I've only got to outrun her.

Online ian c.

• GM : 19.06.2024
« Reply #42 on: March 03, 2023, 03:21:30 PM »
I flew back from Germany to watch it. Not one of my better decisions.

Offline Breezeblock

• GM : 29.11.2024
« Reply #43 on: March 03, 2023, 03:22:00 PM »
I wasn't there on 030303 as i'd bust my ankle egg-chasing the saturday before.  Me and the fart watched the match at the Pip club, Fazeley and the fart, being an ex-referee was doing his nut about the Enkleman goal not being a goal. A couple of noses took exception to him and started threatening us. Me being in plaster and on crutches was of no use whatsoever so we had to leave. Typical fucking knuckledraggers, picking on an old man and a cripple >:(

Offline johny

« Reply #44 on: March 03, 2023, 03:23:55 PM »
A vile night with a toxic atmosphere. People of all ages quite literally frothing at the mouth in anger all around us in the Holte. The fun and games then spilled onto here after the game with the C-bomb gate. The world turned crazy for 24 hours! Was less intimidating getting into the Atletico Madrid ground through the truncheon happy coppers.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal