collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Holte End v South Bank (Molineux)  (Read 10264 times)

Offline wittonwarrior

Re: Holte End v South Bank (Molineux)
« Reply #75 on: March 02, 2023, 07:39:29 PM »
Bloody weird that South Bank it didn't line up with the pitch.  The end of season game that Wolves needed to win to stay up and us to win to get into Europe late 70's is the one where I stood furthest back there.  All in all the biggest shithole I have ever stood on.

Online Rico

« Reply #76 on: March 02, 2023, 10:25:36 PM »
If the original plans for Villa Park to hold 120,000 are correct, then it was probably going to be something like Holte End and Witton End 40,000 each, and the Trinity and Witton Lane 20,000 each.

I've stood on the South Bank in the 80s for a mid week game. If memory serves me right it was a League Cup game. There was some incident involving Steve Bull, but I can't remember exactly what it was. Anyway the South Bank didn't strike me as being anywhere near as big as the Holte. The ground in general was a dump, and the John Ireland Stand may as well of been in a different county it was so far from the pitch.

Offline Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #77 on: March 02, 2023, 11:00:54 PM »
If the original plans for Villa Park to hold 120,000 are correct, then it was probably going to be something like Holte End and Witton End 40,000 each, and the Trinity and Witton Lane 20,000 each.

I've stood on the South Bank in the 80s for a mid week game. If memory serves me right it was a League Cup game. There was some incident involving Steve Bull, but I can't remember exactly what it was. Anyway the South Bank didn't strike me as being anywhere near as big as the Holte. The ground in general was a dump, and the John Ireland Stand may as well of been in a different county it was so far from the pitch.

That game was an early League Cup game, a second leg. I think Mountfield scored and Bull equalised but got clattered by Spink as they both went for the high ball. We were on a section of the South Bank, much of it was closed as was the North Bank and old Waterloo Road Stand. It was the one and only time I've seen a game there, although I did see Rod Stewart a few years ago.

Online Weedy

« Reply #78 on: March 03, 2023, 12:47:19 AM »
The Holte 70s/ 80s ? (see the balloons)

The planned expansion:

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #79 on: March 03, 2023, 12:57:02 AM »

The Holte End

That picture is both scary and beautiful at the same time. Don't recall seeing it before, nice one.

It's giving me vertigo. And how long did they all have to wait for some kid to pour them a beer at half-time...

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #80 on: March 03, 2023, 01:03:15 AM »
Spurs v Burnley, 1961 semi final

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #81 on: March 03, 2023, 01:24:51 AM »
The Holte 70s/ 80s ? (see the balloons)

The planned expansion:

90s IMO.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #82 on: March 03, 2023, 01:32:19 AM »
I'm surprised anyone wouldn't know that's the last day of the Holte v Liverpool.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2023, 02:01:06 AM »
I'm surprised anyone wouldn't know that's the last day of the Holte v Liverpool.

That’s what I thought.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2023, 05:30:46 AM »

That’s what I thought.
Is it?
I'm in there somewhere then.........where's my magnifying glass?

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2023, 06:48:23 AM »
Ask any four year old to draw a football ground with a thick crayon on corrugated cardboard and you'll be looking at the molineux thirty years ago.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #86 on: March 03, 2023, 11:26:04 AM »

That game was an early League Cup game, a second leg. I think Mountfield scored and Bull equalised but got clattered by Spink as they both went for the high ball. We were on a section of the South Bank, much of it was closed as was the North Bank and old Waterloo Road Stand. It was the one and only time I've seen a game there, although I did see Rod Stewart a few years ago.

My Dad was at that one. He said Bull clattered into Spink earlier in the game. So the next time a cross came into the box, Spink completely ignored the ball and laid out Bull.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2023, 05:12:51 PM »
I was in there upper right for the Holte End Last Stand but how can you tell from that picture? Hazy memories due to large amounts of alcohol. We took our lifelong blues supporting brother who asked to come with us that day to stand where our dad used to stand for many years. Even they understood the significance of that day. Someone let off a fire extinguisher one of those powder ones when we scored and that was fucking frightening. It literally saucked all the air out and for a few seconds we could not breathe. We survived though. Happy days and what a privilege it was to stand there one last time on one of THE most iconic terraces ever built. I don't think anyone can say that about the South Bank at Molineux. Holte End wins this debate hands down.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2023, 05:14:31 PM by The Edge »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal