collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by astonvilla82
[Today at 05:25:54 PM]

Re: Joe Gauci - Signed by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:25:04 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by paul_e
[Today at 05:24:21 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by chrisw1
[Today at 05:23:50 PM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by ChicagoLion
[Today at 05:22:42 PM]

Re: Champions League Contention by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:22:39 PM]

Re: Season Tickets - 2023/24 by AV82EC
[Today at 05:20:30 PM]

Re: FFP by Footy-Vill
[Today at 05:18:29 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Old and New Grounds  (Read 5462 times)

Offline nordenvillain

Re: Old and New Grounds
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2023, 12:19:21 PM »
Bolton, Wigan, Man City, Hull, Middlesborough, Rotherham and Wembley.

The old Wigan and Hull grounds were definitely the most open and soulless grounds I have ever been to.

Offline Des Little

• GM : 03.05.2021
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2023, 12:26:39 PM »
Coventry, Derby, Leicester, Doncaster, Manchester City, Bolton, Stoke, Arsenal, Middlesbrough, Sunderland, Brentford, West Ham, Southampton, Oxford, plus Wembley and Charlton/Wimbledon/Fulham at different grounds

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2023, 02:44:50 PM »

The old Wigan and Hull grounds were definitely the most open and soulless grounds I have ever been to.

I liked Sprigfield Park. I can't say it was vastly different to most lower league grounds of its day to be honest, and soulless isn't a word I'd use. That for me is more the identikit new grounds.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #33 on: March 01, 2023, 12:32:44 AM »
Agreed. A lot of the old grounds had a lot going for them.

Derby's Baseball Ground was a good example -stands that were tight to the pitch. On cup nights, the atmosphere was amazing.

Online ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2023, 07:07:52 AM »
Tend to find new Bowl grounds more soulless. They're usually stuck on a motorway nowhere near the centre of town/city and are a bit indentikit.

Reading comes to mind, although the game I went to there was a Cracker.

Offline joe_c

• Location: My secret hayloft, shot with shafts of afternoon sunlight
  • GM : 31.03.2020
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2023, 10:15:03 AM »
Arsenal, Spurs, West Ham, Man City, Wembley. Been to both Coventrys (Coventries?) but only seen concerts at the new edition, a California funk rock band whose name I don't recall and Bruce Springsteen.

Online simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2023, 10:25:38 AM »
Derby, Man City, Leicester, Middlesbrough, Arsenal, Wembley, Walsall.

Offline Risso

« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2023, 12:05:13 PM »
I've been to Spurs as well but wasn't sure if it counted if it's on the same site?

Offline Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2023, 02:33:49 PM »
Aresenal, Man City, Southampton, Hull City, Middlesbrough, Stoke, Sunderland, Wigan Athletic, Bolton Wanderers, Derby County, Oxford United, Shrewsbury Town, Doncaster Rovers, Walsall, and Chester. Plus old and new Wembley. Wimbledon at the original Plough Lane then Selhurst Park. If I'm really stretching it, Paget Rangers at 5 different places.. Springfield Road Walmley, Castle Vale, Boldmere St Michaels, Sutton Town, and the old Gas ground in Erdington. Admittedly Boldmere and Sutton wasn't to watch Paget, and the Gas ground was for a function.

• Location: Upton Park....No, Olympic Stadium....No, Aston Park...Yes that's it,Turf Moor.
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2023, 02:59:52 PM »

I liked Sprigfield Park. I can't say it was vastly different to most lower league grounds of its day to be honest, and soulless isn't a word I'd use. That for me is more the identikit new grounds.

Wigans Springfield Park was certainly very open, Lancashires answer to The Shay at Halifax.  I think both of them has Speedway tracks round the pitch.
As for Hull City being souless,  I can remember sitting in the stand seeing trains  arriving at Boothferry Park Halt. The railway station operated purely for match days.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2023, 03:39:56 PM »
Aresenal, Man City, Southampton, Hull City, Middlesbrough, Stoke, Sunderland, Wigan Athletic, Bolton Wanderers, Derby County, Oxford United, Shrewsbury Town, Doncaster Rovers, Walsall, and Chester. Plus old and new Wembley. Wimbledon at the original Plough Lane then Selhurst Park. If I'm really stretching it, Paget Rangers at 5 different places.. Springfield Road Walmley, Castle Vale, Boldmere St Michaels, Sutton Town, and the old Gas ground in Erdington. Admittedly Boldmere and Sutton wasn't to watch Paget, and the Gas ground was for a function.

I've played on all of those Paget pitches listed

Offline Risso

« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2023, 03:55:22 PM »

Wigans Springfield Park was certainly very open, Lancashires answer to The Shay at Halifax.  I think both of them has Speedway tracks round the pitch.
As for Hull City being souless,  I can remember sitting in the stand seeing trains  arriving at Boothferry Park Halt. The railway station operated purely for match days.

I'm fairly certain Springfield Park never had a speedway track, at least it didn't when I was there. There used to be a speedway track in another part of Wigan called Poolstock, but that was demolished in the 70s I think.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2023, 04:17:53 PM »
What was the fucking point of Speedway exactly?

« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2023, 04:47:03 PM »

I'm fairly certain Springfield Park never had a speedway track, at least it didn't when I was there. There used to be a speedway track in another part of Wigan called Poolstock, but that was demolished in the 70s I think.

I've checked, your right. But it was used by almost anybody vaguely wigany and most sports other than speedway.

The stadium had previously been home to Wigan County, Wigan United, Wigan Town, and Wigan Borough (previously Wigan United and Wigan Association) as well as Wigan and Springfield Borough rugby league sides. It was also used for horse trotting, as a track cycling velodrome, for wrestling and for athletics

You can see the horse trotting here. Not sure which carriage Nii Lamptey was in.

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-trotting-match-at-springfield-park-wigan-1904-1904-online

« Last Edit: March 02, 2023, 05:01:53 PM by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air »

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2023, 05:04:50 PM »
Sporting and Benfica.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal