collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 11:18:28 PM]

Champions League Contention by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 11:18:27 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Clampy
[Today at 11:17:56 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:15:22 PM]

Diego Carlos by Risso
[Today at 11:15:08 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:10:50 PM]

Ollie Watkins by VillaTim
[Today at 11:09:30 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:00:21 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa 2 The Arse 4 Post Match ah well what could have been thread  (Read 28847 times)

Online aj2k77

Re: Aston Villa 2 The Arse 4 Post Match ah well what could have been thread
« Reply #405 on: February 21, 2023, 03:47:43 PM »
It's funny that they decry the players attitudes towards the refs but then on the same hand use it as one of the reasons not to give a decision because the players didn't surround or harangue him.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #406 on: February 21, 2023, 03:50:52 PM »
I've been an amateur ref, and it's the most thankless, joyless task in the world, short of being Carol Vorderman's dry cleaner. Any abuse whatsoever is completely out of order. At the professional level though, it's a highly paid job like any other, and if you haven't got the competency to do it, then it' right that you should lose your job if your performance is consistently bad.

Online Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #407 on: February 21, 2023, 04:34:54 PM »
It's funny that they decry the players attitudes towards the refs but then on the same hand use it as one of the reasons not to give a decision because the players didn't surround or harangue him.

Correct but it really is a case of if you can’t beat them, join them. I don’t like us or other teams doing but as the Southampton goal against us can testify it can make a difference. They shouldn’t need to but…
Again it’s the lack of consistency but I’d agree if anyone was going to complain about it, it would be Martinez irrespective of whether it hit him on the head or not.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #408 on: February 21, 2023, 04:52:51 PM »
The truth is that going into last weeks games the narrative for the media; Sky/BBC/Talkshite. The Premier League and PGMOL was that Araenal had been robbed and mustn't suffer again.  The excitement. anticipation and then joy when Araenal scored was overwhelming - so much so that no one was interested in whether there was a valid reason the goal shouldn't stand.  Compare that to us at Old Trafford last year where we were subjected to "Did he handle it -   No " was he offside"  - No "was there anyone else in an offside position we can pin anything on" - YES glory be goal disallowed. 

Clearly on Saturday it went "good shot" thank fuck for that!  If they even bothered to ask the basic question "were any Arsenal players in an offside position we must conclude they decided yes but its only Villa - fuck em!

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #409 on: February 21, 2023, 05:42:40 PM »
I dunno, Emi is the first person you'd expect to piss and moan at a decision like that and he didn't. He wasn't getting anywhere near the ball, the cannoning off his head was unfortunate.

Maybe he doesn't get to the shot anyway, the way it went in off his back was a complete fluke too. But two opposition players clearly offside in front of him and making no effort to get out of way are clearly impacting play. Maybe a lack of leadership on pitch as our senior players should have gone absolutely ballistic like they did at Southampton when the VAR decision went our way. That goal cost us a point.

That time with the McGinn goal at Arsenal that VAR disallowed Barkley, I think it was, clearly tries to jump out of the way and two keepers weren't getting to the shot anyway. I don't think we complained all that much at the time.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #410 on: February 21, 2023, 07:29:39 PM »
... the most thankless, joyless task in the world, short of being Carol Vorderman's dry cleaner.

I have no idea what this is referring to, but it's intriguing.

Went completely over my head (which, from the context, I deduce is more than can be said for Carol).

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #411 on: February 21, 2023, 07:30:51 PM »
... the most thankless, joyless task in the world, short of being Carol Vorderman's dry cleaner.

Went completely over my head (which, from the context, I deduce is more than can be said for Carol).

Can’t believe somebody of such long-standing has missed it!

Online astonvilla82

« Reply #412 on: February 21, 2023, 07:33:48 PM »
When you see an official lose their job for making an incorrect decision against one of the media darlings, what is most likely to happen when it comes to making a decision against said media darling next time? That is the problem. These guys don’t want abuse or to lose their job anymore then you or I and therein lies the problem with VAR; it’s still operated by humans. And making or not a decision for Villa is going to get less heat then Arsenal.
well do the job and you won't get abuse,

This is what is wrong with football culture and what has been mentioned previously on the thread. Abuse is not ok regardless of whether a decision was wrong. Saying it's ok to abuse them because they got it wrong filters down to the Sunday League game where referees are getting abused and have no protection against it. Don't be surprised that standards of refereeing are low when the referee pool is small and getting smaller because your average volunteer referee doesn't want to put themselves through it anymore

It's fine to have an opinion on how things can be better but abusing these people is plain wrong
they didn't get a abuse they get criticism, same with the players as well

Online Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #413 on: February 21, 2023, 08:24:38 PM »

I still think about that story every time she appears on the tele.  It must be 10 years since I originally read it on here?

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #414 on: February 21, 2023, 09:08:30 PM »

I still think about that story every time she appears on the tele.  It must be 10 years since I originally read it on here?

Much longer ago than that, I reckon.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #415 on: February 21, 2023, 10:12:39 PM »
I'm also in the dark re Vorderman.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #416 on: February 22, 2023, 09:26:23 AM »

You'd want to be if you were the dry cleaner

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #417 on: February 22, 2023, 09:43:03 AM »
I am one of the people who immediately think of dry cleaning when Vorderman is mentioned, thanks to a post (by Chico Hamilton III, IIRC) back in the day.

Offline Towser

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #418 on: February 22, 2023, 11:45:12 AM »
Here you go

The Vorderman story was one of mine, nothing like as funny as the Una Stubbs story though, I'm afraid.

An ex girlfriend of mine, her best mate was a student in London about 20+ years ago and worked part time in a dry cleaner's shop. One day Carol Vorderman came into the shop and left a light-coloured trouser suit to be cleaned. Obviously, the first thing the kids working in the shop did after she left was to "inspect" the keks and by all accounts the inside of her trousers resembled Silverstone after the start of an F1 race. Skidmarks everywhere. Celebrity skidmarks.

Offline tony scott

• GM : 31.05.2020
« Reply #419 on: February 23, 2023, 11:37:13 PM »
Arsenal 3rd goal should be shown over and over again and our players must shown it ,and from now appeal against every goal we concede. Unsportsmanlike yes but we can’t rely on the referee to check var properly without us kicking up a fuss.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal