collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by VillaTim
[Today at 11:10:56 AM]

Champions League Contention by Ads
[Today at 11:09:58 AM]

Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:08:39 AM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 11:08:13 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 11:00:38 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Risso
[Today at 10:53:07 AM]

Ollie Watkins by andyh
[Today at 10:53:07 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by Ads
[Today at 10:04:48 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Arsenal Match Thread  (Read 15113 times)

Offline supertom

Re: Aston Villa v Arsenal Match Thread
« Reply #405 on: February 18, 2023, 02:48:11 PM »
Some might think it was a madcap game full of surprises, yet why am I not at all surprised? That was pure unadulterated Villa.
My biggest gripe in the game, and a lot of games this season is that we seem really cumbersome with pressing or moments where the ball is pinging around and it inevitably ends up with the opponents breaking on us. Too many slow players. Too many players with a poor touch (which is particularly evident with playing out from the back).

Yeah, we saw some good moments today, but the shit outnumbered it some way.

We've got the tough games out the way. We can't just concede that "it's City" or "it's Arsenal." There's no excuses in the next two.

I'm not convinced with this system defensively, and right now, though we look like scoring, we also look like we'll concede 2-3 (at least) every game and we can't play a side as monumentally shit as Leeds or Southampton (both of whom outplayed us if we're being honest) every week.

This is the true test of Emery coming. Gerrard started well and then couldn't arrest a slump and turn it around. We've got to be a bit more pragmatic. I think he needs to acknowledge that we're too easy to manoeuvre around, too open and that we're still exceptionally shit from set pieces (both ends). Maybe this will benefit us next season but the worry is that you hit a system and style all guns blazing and sink under it. Gerrards shitty narrow (and tactically naive) 4-3-3 system buried him. We're making the same errors on repeat, even putting aside the misfortune of their third.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Aston Villa v Arsenal Match Thread
« Reply #406 on: February 18, 2023, 02:52:12 PM »
Get that fucking joker out of our club.

Who?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal