collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Kicking towards the Holte  (Read 5599 times)

Offline Bully2345

Re: Kicking towards the Holte
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2023, 09:22:53 AM »
I always thought O'Neill requested to swap the dugouts at around the same time we moved the away fans from the North to the Witton?

I did a quick google and it was Lambert

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-i-want-my-dugout-closer-186520

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2023, 11:05:01 AM »
Bruce changed it back because he thought it was a jinx or something!

Never got that either. You'd think if we score in last minute a manager would enjoy having a gentle jog halfway down the touchline to salute the Holte. As it is now you'd have to cross the opposition bench and that's a big no no really.

I assume the Liverpool dugout is closest to the Kop given the celebrations Klopp does after some goals.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #47 on: February 10, 2023, 09:44:32 AM »
I don't like it. We have always attacked the Holte second half. I used to love cheering the away keeper as he approached the old Holte for the second half only to boo loudly when he acknowledged us. Great banter. Stick with tradition.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #48 on: February 10, 2023, 09:59:44 AM »
I don't like it. We have always attacked the Holte second half. I used to love cheering the away keeper as he approached the old Holte for the second half only to boo loudly when he acknowledged us. Great banter. Stick with tradition.

That was something I've only ever seen us do and it was great, rapturous and generous applause that once acknowledged turned 'aahhs' and thousands of 'Nescafe handshakes'

Dave Seaman was for me always the best for taking it, always got extra stick for his Bluenose days but used to play up to it and have a laugh. Bloody good keeper as well. They've had some decent keepers down the years that have hardly played for them and been out the door the minute anyone noticed they were any good.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #49 on: February 10, 2023, 10:43:38 AM »

That was something I've only ever seen us do and it was great, rapturous and generous applause that once acknowledged turned 'aahhs' and thousands of 'Nescafe handshakes'

Dave Seaman was for me always the best for taking it, always got extra stick for his Bluenose days but used to play up to it and have a laugh. Bloody good keeper as well. They've had some decent keepers down the years that have hardly played for them and been out the door the minute anyone noticed they were any good.

Yes, he always had a bit of humour about him almost to the point he liked the attention/notoriety. It would have had more of an effect on his game if we just ignored him. These window adverts he's currently 'starring' in are beginning to grate though.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #50 on: February 10, 2023, 01:08:03 PM »

Yes, he always had a bit of humour about him almost to the point he liked the attention/notoriety. It would have had more of an effect on his game if we just ignored him. These window adverts he's currently 'starring' in are beginning to grate though.
Yeah they are a bit of a pane.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2023, 06:02:32 PM »

Yeah they are a bit of a pane.
... well, if you frame it like that ....

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #52 on: February 10, 2023, 11:02:39 PM »
I can see straight through adverts like that

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #53 on: February 11, 2023, 03:17:58 AM »
David Seaman in a TV ad? Bollocks!

Offline itmustbe_it is!

« Reply #54 on: February 11, 2023, 02:19:43 PM »

Agree with this

Offline Rory

« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2023, 04:54:05 AM »
I always thought O'Neill requested to swap the dugouts at around the same time we moved the away fans from the North to the Witton?

I did a quick google and it was Lambert

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/aston-villa-i-want-my-dugout-closer-186520

It certainly worked for him!...

Offline Rory

« Reply #56 on: February 12, 2023, 05:02:16 AM »
Bruce changed it back because he thought it was a jinx or something!

Never got that either. You'd think if we score in last minute a manager would enjoy having a gentle jog halfway down the touchline to salute the Holte.

I always got the feeling Bruce was afraid of our fans giving him shit for being ex-SHA.

I'm maybe one of the few guys who admits to being very pleased when Bruce took over. But he never seemed to be fully comfortable with being our manager.

I think he did a lot of good for us, but I do wonder if he saw it as a bet to nothing, because his exit line ("I managed Birmingham, they were never going to embrace me") was already set.

Online olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #57 on: February 12, 2023, 06:29:23 AM »
You being a youngster Lee I can understand what you said but it started at OT with Stretford End doing it and we picked it up.

Offline CT

• http://astonvilla.blogfootball.com/CT
  • GM : 11.02.2024
« Reply #58 on: February 12, 2023, 11:21:18 AM »
You being a youngster Lee I can understand what you said but it started at OT with Stretford End doing it and we picked it up.

I hadn’t seen it before going to Leeds in the 80s and their kop end all clapping Nigel Spink - he clapped back and got pelters!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal