collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Leicester City Post Match Thread  (Read 27352 times)

Offline LeonW

Re: Aston Villa v Leicester City Post Match Thread
« Reply #300 on: February 05, 2023, 07:56:18 PM »
What's also pissing me off, and I know this is a Twitter thing, is that some of our supporters believe it's all going to happen automatically and anyone who isn't a True Believer is one of the reasons why we've got the worst fanbase in the world.

Yep, "trust the process" is the mantra of the new better-fan-than-you, as if weakening your team is some sort of super new tactic that nobody else has thought of before.
We sold Danny Ings, he who blows out of his arse after 60 mins, he’s now crocked, its hardly dismantling spine of the team stuff??

I think there’s more to it than that. It’s not just about selling a player -who was and still is our top scorer this season-it’s about not replacing him and selling him before getting a replacement in which in itself automatically puts the price up on anyone we buy when they know we’ve just got money in. If someone wasn’t available, don’t sell him. It’s poor squad management which leaves a very good manager we appointed short of an option. And for what? A little bit extra on top of the amortized amount of Ings remaining contract. That’s no benefit at all. A higher league placing would automatically achieve that anyway and having a higher league placing is important in terms of attracting players for next season and keeping those that will help us kick on. This season is not dead for us to have a decent league finish but I’m struggling to see what the benefit is of what we did in January apart from saving what accounts to peanuts in premier league terms for 5 months.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #301 on: February 05, 2023, 08:00:48 PM »
What's also pissing me off, and I know this is a Twitter thing, is that some of our supporters believe it's all going to happen automatically and anyone who isn't a True Believer is one of the reasons why we've got the worst fanbase in the world.
100% - all this you’ve got to trust the process bollocks.  I get we have got to give Unai time and happy with that.  But it’s all these people pretending to sagely rub their chins and say it’s all part of the process.  Most said exactly the same with Gerrard while the rest of us could see straight through the whole empires new clothes routine
Lose the next two and Emery will have a similar record to Gerrard after 10 or so games. Nothing has changed just yet. We will improve if the manager is given better resources.

Yeah but even then we'd still have a manager regarded as one of the best in the world, rather than one with loads of media mates and a pointless - and even then slightly meh - back story in a shit league nobody cares about.
Yes we will - but I think the point is we were told the same thing when SG was the a manger by the same people.  I don’t think anyone is suggesting that Unai isn’t good - just the fact that if anyone questions anything the response is trust the process.  Which is what the same people safe under SG

Any one of us is allowed to be pissed off, annoyed etc etc, im no apologist for those running the club, and was gutted yesterday. However, the records of Gerrard and Emery are incomparable whichever way you look at it, so whatever we did or didnt do in January, there is room for not blind faith, but optimism in my view.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #302 on: February 05, 2023, 08:01:46 PM »
I know it’s mainly because I’ve got a shit day at work tomorrow - but i do get fucked off of this nearly man bollocks. 

See spurs - who have won fuck all for 30 odd years like us - but somehow they can keep one of the best strikers in the world who has just scored his 200th PL goal for them

But we have to put up with all our best players fucking off at their earliest opportunity.  We now have one of the best managers in the world - but he has to spend is first transfer window flogging off all the mistake from the previous few transfer windows. 

Literally villa are the definition of being on the loo when opportunity comes knocking

We’ve had Emery, a really top drawer manager for 8 league games, of which he has a W5 D1 L2 record. Maybe we should just get over yesterday, see it for what it was, a bad defensive day at the office and have some patience. Theres no point referencing Newcastle as a comparator, they made a good managerial appointment in Howe, we made what turned out to be an appalling one in Gerard. Whether it feels like we’ve been here before or not, Emery simply needs time and our patience.

And there's the problem. Every few years we look like we're doing something, but we never get there. It's hard to have patience when you've been let down so many times.

Offline mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #303 on: February 05, 2023, 08:05:51 PM »

Yep, "trust the process" is the mantra of the new better-fan-than-you, as if weakening your team is some sort of super new tactic that nobody else has thought of before.
We sold Danny Ings, he who blows out of his arse after 60 mins, he’s now crocked, its hardly dismantling spine of the team stuff??

Danny Ings our top scorer? Who came off the bench and won us 3 points against Brighton and 1 against Wolves? Danny Ings who played against Newcastle yesterday and who therefore very much isn't crocked?

What about the Danny Ings that hardly touched the ball against a League 2 side? The Danny Ings that didn't do anything against Leeds to name just one game where hes been anonymous. The Danny Ings that said he didn't want to play for us anymore?

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #304 on: February 05, 2023, 08:12:49 PM »
If we didn’t replace Danny Ings who was that bloke who came on for Bailey yesterday? Yes, he’s going to take time to get up to speed but if you sell one striker and sign another it’s pretty difficult to argue that he isn’t a replacement.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #305 on: February 05, 2023, 08:18:43 PM »
I know it’s mainly because I’ve got a shit day at work tomorrow - but i do get fucked off of this nearly man bollocks. 

See spurs - who have won fuck all for 30 odd years like us - but somehow they can keep one of the best strikers in the world who has just scored his 200th PL goal for them

But we have to put up with all our best players fucking off at their earliest opportunity.  We now have one of the best managers in the world - but he has to spend is first transfer window flogging off all the mistake from the previous few transfer windows. 

Literally villa are the definition of being on the loo when opportunity comes knocking

We’ve had Emery, a really top drawer manager for 8 league games, of which he has a W5 D1 L2 record. Maybe we should just get over yesterday, see it for what it was, a bad defensive day at the office and have some patience. Theres no point referencing Newcastle as a comparator, they made a good managerial appointment in Howe, we made what turned out to be an appalling one in Gerard. Whether it feels like we’ve been here before or not, Emery simply needs time and our patience.

And there's the problem. Every few years we look like we're doing something, but we never get there. It's hard to have patience when you've been let down so many times.

Yes and I’m not at all convinced the club hierarchy are prepared to take the financial steps necessary to move us beyond being a mid table side. Maybe come august 31st we’ll have seen otherwise but I don’t think we will. From the outside, it looks as though our plan is to give Emery the keys to kingdom and let him shape the club in his image with some financial support, supplemented by all of what we make from selling our best players.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #306 on: February 05, 2023, 08:32:09 PM »

Ings seems to have swapped his last 10-15 mins role for another team in claret and blue.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #307 on: February 05, 2023, 08:36:07 PM »
If we didn’t replace Danny Ings who was that bloke who came on for Bailey yesterday? Yes, he’s going to take time to get up to speed but if you sell one striker and sign another it’s pretty difficult to argue that he isn’t a replacement.

Do you think he’s been signed to be the automatic replacement for Ings? Or is it a role he’s having to fill?

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #308 on: February 05, 2023, 08:44:27 PM »

I see that Dave, I’ve spent 40 of my 48 years on this earth going down to Villa Park. But Emery has had 8 league games, of which of our record, even including yesterday is some of the top form in the division. Im just struggling a bit with the angst at the moment, i can feel this building to a crescendo with man city and Arsenal coming up.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #309 on: February 05, 2023, 08:52:05 PM »
Yeah - unai deserves all the good faith in the world - but at the same time I’m 40 and so far blind faith hasn’t worked out great for me!

That’s not saying I don’t have faith in Unai - I think there is a good chance he’s the most respected manager most of us will ever see manage the Villa - but the PL is so ridiculous that it takes more than just one good element.  You need a good manager a good squad and to be backed.  And I’m just concerned the other two will never happen because we’re too busy trying to find a short cut

Offline Beard82

« Reply #310 on: February 05, 2023, 08:53:37 PM »

I see that Dave, I’ve spent 40 of my 48 years on this earth going down to Villa Park. But Emery has had 8 league games, of which of our record, even including yesterday is some of the top form in the division. Im just struggling a bit with the angst at the moment, i can feel this building to a crescendo with man city and Arsenal coming up.
I don’t think any of this about is Unai

Online boozey182

• GM : PCM
« Reply #311 on: February 05, 2023, 08:55:40 PM »
100% - all this you’ve got to trust the process bollocks.  I get we have got to give Unai time and happy with that.  But it’s all these people pretending to sagely rub their chins and say it’s all part of the process.  Most said exactly the same with Gerrard while the rest of us could see straight through the whole empires new clothes routine

I feel this a lot - spend 5 minutes on browsing Twitter and I'm an idiot for not thinking some of our players are world class, a moron for thinking the other half can ever be Premier League players and just generally getting being a fan wrong.

But, having said that, I am someone that is rubbing my chin and saying that this is all part of the process... I am really excited to have Emery as our manager, and I really believe that there is a plan here that could make us a proper team again. A modern team, that plays lovely football as well as grinding out results when they need to. I think we've seen glimpses of that - one positive thing about Twitter is the mini-compilations you get after a game. Some of our passing recently has been a joy to watch, and I am certain that will continue to get better.

And I wasn't saying this under Gerrard. From early 2022, I was certain that he wouldn't make it to Christmas, I'm actually surprised he lasted as long as he did. I couldn't work out what he was trying to do, I couldn't see what he was aiming for.

The thing is, though, I don't think it's reasonable to expect any Villa fan to buy into this at the moment. We have had so many, not so much false dawns, but more like those winters you get in some north Norwegian towns where the sun doesn't come up at all. Of course we're going to be cynical. Of course we're going to be nervous. Add in the fact that we're now playing a much riskier tactic and you can see why we're, as a whole, a bit jumpy. It will take the fans longer than it will take the players to adapt to this new style.

The main reasons I am fully behind it is not because I'm a football expert or know any better than people who are a bit more wary, but I think partly because I was so convinced that Gerrard was a complete waste of space and so our players are nowhere near as bad as he had them playing, partly because I like watching us pass and take risks, but also, a bit more troublingly, because I am terrified about what happens if this goes wrong. We have billionaire owners and one of the best managers around - if it doesn't work this time, maybe I really am part of the problem. That's why I am being positive, and that's why I am hoarse today from desperately trying to not let chants fizzle in the upper Holte yesterday. Failure isn't an option this time. It just isn't. That's why I feel I have to be a True Believer, and why I really think the Emperor's new shiny coat looks fantastic.

Offline Beard82

« Reply #312 on: February 05, 2023, 09:19:04 PM »

I feel this a lot - spend 5 minutes on browsing Twitter and I'm an idiot for not thinking some of our players are world class, a moron for thinking the other half can ever be Premier League players and just generally getting being a fan wrong.

But, having said that, I am someone that is rubbing my chin and saying that this is all part of the process... I am really excited to have Emery as our manager, and I really believe that there is a plan here that could make us a proper team again. A modern team, that plays lovely football as well as grinding out results when they need to. I think we've seen glimpses of that - one positive thing about Twitter is the mini-compilations you get after a game. Some of our passing recently has been a joy to watch, and I am certain that will continue to get better.

And I wasn't saying this under Gerrard. From early 2022, I was certain that he wouldn't make it to Christmas, I'm actually surprised he lasted as long as he did. I couldn't work out what he was trying to do, I couldn't see what he was aiming for.

The thing is, though, I don't think it's reasonable to expect any Villa fan to buy into this at the moment. We have had so many, not so much false dawns, but more like those winters you get in some north Norwegian towns where the sun doesn't come up at all. Of course we're going to be cynical. Of course we're going to be nervous. Add in the fact that we're now playing a much riskier tactic and you can see why we're, as a whole, a bit jumpy. It will take the fans longer than it will take the players to adapt to this new style.

The main reasons I am fully behind it is not because I'm a football expert or know any better than people who are a bit more wary, but I think partly because I was so convinced that Gerrard was a complete waste of space and so our players are nowhere near as bad as he had them playing, partly because I like watching us pass and take risks, but also, a bit more troublingly, because I am terrified about what happens if this goes wrong. We have billionaire owners and one of the best managers around - if it doesn't work this time, maybe I really am part of the problem. That's why I am being positive, and that's why I am hoarse today from desperately trying to not let chants fizzle in the upper Holte yesterday. Failure isn't an option this time. It just isn't. That's why I feel I have to be a True Believer, and why I really think the Emperor's new shiny coat looks fantastic.
Boozey - you have to be one of my favourite posters

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #313 on: February 05, 2023, 09:26:34 PM »

I don’t think any of this about is Unai

I didnt say it was, my point i suppose is he and his record as a manager are the reasons i am optimistic.

Online ez

« Reply #314 on: February 05, 2023, 09:35:29 PM »
I get what people are saying. Since promotion we do seem to be in a permanent state of consolidating in the Premier league.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal