collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Astnor
[Today at 02:28:48 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:25:34 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window - The Verdict.  (Read 67915 times)

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
Re: January Transfer Window - The Verdict.
« Reply #285 on: February 02, 2023, 11:06:48 AM »
As I said, denail was the wrong word because that made it look like I was talking about a statement from the club(s) or player, I mean that some of the trasnfer experts in the press would've reported it as bullshit if they had any hint that it hadn't happened. Even those people don't comment on every story but Villa breaking our transfer record to sign one of the best young players in Spain is big enough for them to comment on.

It definitely would be big enough for them to comment on. Which makes you wonder, if it happened and they knew that it happened, why they didn't?

Romano did, he said a few days ago that it's more likely to happen in the summer, that was reported pretty widely at the time.

He said "it's true they have an interest".

That's not the same as the claim that we offered Bilbao enough money to meet his buy-out clause. Unless there are other quotes to the above?

I think it was also in the context of a live video Q&A, and (while I appreciate I'm the one speculating now) it strikes me as the sort of answer you might give if you'd never heard the words Aston Villa and Nico Williams in the same sentence before but you need to hedge your bets in case it turns out that there is something in it.

If he knew that we'd made an acceptable bid, that would have been his opportunity to say "yes, Villa offered enough money to buy him but he didn't want to join them". But he decided not to, for some reason.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 11:10:00 AM by Dave »

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #286 on: February 02, 2023, 11:08:12 AM »
Let me try this again, people like John Percy and Fabrizio Romano have made their reputations on being right about stuff like this. If there was nothing to the idea that we had a bid accepted but the player said no people like that would report it because it would reinforce the idea that they're the people worth listening to and putting the boot in on the sources that reported it.

I freely admit I might be wrong but for this specific story I think it's far more likely to be real than not. Whereas for all the people you've listed the stories fit more neatly into general speculation.

I can't see that either of them have mentioned him at all, where did you see that they did?

I haven't seen anything from Percy (I just picked him as another option). Romano commented on it in a livestream (on Monday I think). There's plenty of stories in the normal rumour papers running the exact quote, e.g. https://www.givemesport.com/88110952-aston-villa-fabrizio-romano-nico-williams-athletic-bilbao-transfer-news-villa-park

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #287 on: February 02, 2023, 11:21:36 AM »
Aren't Givemesport just another load of Football Insider type bullshit merchants? Romano usually puts absolutely everything he says on his Twitter, and hasn't mentioned Williams once. Nor has Percy, so I honestly don't think there was anything remotely concrete whatsoever.

Online paul_e

« Reply #288 on: February 02, 2023, 11:25:56 AM »
Aren't Givemesport just another load of Football Insider type bullshit merchants? Romano usually puts absolutely everything he says on his Twitter, and hasn't mentioned Williams once. Nor has Percy, so I honestly don't think there was anything remotely concrete whatsoever.

quoted him though, even the bullshit merchants don't fake quotes.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #289 on: February 02, 2023, 11:30:22 AM »
“The expectation of those close to Nico Williams is for the player to leave, possibly in the summer. So at the moment, the situation is still complicated.”

Thats the quote in that article.

Online paul_e

« Reply #290 on: February 02, 2023, 11:35:16 AM »
“The expectation of those close to Nico Williams is for the player to leave, possibly in the summer. So at the moment, the situation is still complicated.”

I honestly don't care enough to carry on with this, I made a bit of a throwaway comment and have had 3 of you grilling me over it for nearly 4 hours. I think if it was completely made up that we were so close to a very big signing we'd know by now, you don't have to agree but we're just gonig in circles now.

Online Dave

« Reply #291 on: February 02, 2023, 11:36:50 AM »

Elsewhere there is the quote “I think (Villa) will try for many players; for Nico Williams, it’s true that they have an interest, but from what I’m told, Nico Williams is not leaving now. So he’s not leaving in January unless something crazy happens in the final days.”

Which is still a million miles away from us having a bid accepted for him.

Offline Risso

« Reply #292 on: February 02, 2023, 11:37:36 AM »

I honestly don't care enough to carry on with this, I made a bit of a throwaway comment and have had 3 of you grilling me over it for nearly 4 hours. I think if it was completely made up that we were so close to a very big signing we'd know by now, you don't have to agree but we're just gonig in circles now.

Well you've implied that people you trust like Percy and Romano have mentioned it, when in fact neither of them have, and the only mention is a supposed quote from a bullshit site that doesn't even mention Villa.

Online Dave

« Reply #293 on: February 02, 2023, 11:39:26 AM »

Well you've implied that people you trust like Percy and Romano have mentioned it, when in fact neither of them have, and the only mention is a supposed quote from a bullshit site that doesn't even mention Villa.

To be fair, Paul actually suggests that it's the very fact that they haven't mentioned it that means the story is obviously true.

Online paul_e

« Reply #294 on: February 02, 2023, 11:57:26 AM »

To be fair, Paul actually suggests that it's the very fact that they haven't mentioned it that means the story is obviously true.

No I don't, I said that I believe it's true and that you lot can believe whatever you like, that's really not the same as me saying it's obviously true.

I think if Romano is asked about it and quoted as having spoken to a source it's reasonable to expect that he'd say "there's been no contact between Villa and Williams" if that were the case. That's it, you lot have made this a much bigger deal than I ever intended.

Online paul_e

« Reply #295 on: February 02, 2023, 11:58:41 AM »

Again I mentioned Percy as someone who, if he heard it was bullshit, would've posted about it.

Offline Risso

« Reply #296 on: February 02, 2023, 12:00:31 PM »
I freely admit I might be wrong

Might have been better to leave it at that point then.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #297 on: February 02, 2023, 12:19:01 PM »
Tough crowd, you can't as much as fart in the wrong direction on this thread!

Online paul_e

« Reply #298 on: February 02, 2023, 12:19:46 PM »
I freely admit I might be wrong

Might have been better to leave it at that point then.

I'd rather be wrong about something this utterly inconsequential than about things that actually matter, like thinking Sunak would make a good prime minister.

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #299 on: February 02, 2023, 12:38:17 PM »
Tough crowd, you can't as much as fart in the wrong direction on this thread!

There's certainly nothing har-farted about some of the posts at the moment that's for sure :-)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal