collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:16:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 03:07:56 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by LeeB
[Today at 03:00:41 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Risso
[Today at 02:58:06 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Monty
[Today at 02:54:11 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by LeeB
[Today at 02:51:15 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Astnor
[Today at 02:46:26 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 02:36:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window - The Verdict.  (Read 67922 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: January Transfer Window - The Verdict.
« Reply #270 on: February 02, 2023, 09:38:22 AM »
Surely precisely that happens hundreds of times this time of year? It’s media tittle tattle.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #271 on: February 02, 2023, 09:51:50 AM »
Surely precisely that happens hundreds of times this time of year? It’s media tittle tattle.

Yep it's like Footy with his idea that a manager not buying a player from a previous club is proof that a clause exists that they're not allowed to. Something not happening isn't proof of anything, and if you spent your time denying such nonsense you'd be at it all day.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #272 on: February 02, 2023, 09:53:16 AM »
They have never denied FV's assertions though so they must be true.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #273 on: February 02, 2023, 10:16:29 AM »
It feels like a weird thing to make up and there's been no denials anywhere in over a week.

Why would there be any "denials"?

If a club commented on every random bit of transfer gossip there wouldn't be much time for anything else.

There haven't been denials about anyone we were linked to last month, but that doesn't mean we actually were trying to sign all fifty of them.

Denials is probably the wrong word but I can't imagine a story like that getting through with nothing to contradict it after a couple of weeks.

Nobody has contradicted the reports about us buying Joao Felix, Thuram, Luis Henrique, Jonathan David or any of the other players that were talked about in this thread either.

It doesn't mean we tried to buy any of them.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #274 on: February 02, 2023, 10:19:34 AM »

Had a bid accepted and the player has chosen to stay is a bid different from the normal media bullshit, that's my point really.

Either way everyone is free to believe what they want over this but, for me enough people I'd trust have repeated this that I think it's true. Interesting most people (not necessarily on here) who are suggesting it's bullshit are the same ones who are also claiming that NSWE are cutting funding and that they've given up.

Online paul_e

« Reply #275 on: February 02, 2023, 10:40:07 AM »
It feels like a weird thing to make up and there's been no denials anywhere in over a week.

Why would there be any "denials"?

If a club commented on every random bit of transfer gossip there wouldn't be much time for anything else.

There haven't been denials about anyone we were linked to last month, but that doesn't mean we actually were trying to sign all fifty of them.

Denials is probably the wrong word but I can't imagine a story like that getting through with nothing to contradict it after a couple of weeks.

Nobody has contradicted the reports about us buying Joao Felix, Thuram, Luis Henrique, Jonathan David or any of the other players that were talked about in this thread either.

It doesn't mean we tried to buy any of them.

Let me try this again, people like John Percy and Fabrizio Romano have made their reputations on being right about stuff like this. If there was nothing to the idea that we had a bid accepted but the player said no people like that would report it because it would reinforce the idea that they're the people worth listening to and putting the boot in on the sources that reported it.

I freely admit I might be wrong but for this specific story I think it's far more likely to be real than not. Whereas for all the people you've listed the stories fit more neatly into general speculation.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #276 on: February 02, 2023, 10:43:21 AM »

Had a bid accepted and the player has chosen to stay is a bid different from the normal media bullshit, that's my point really.

Either way everyone is free to believe what they want over this but, for me enough people I'd trust have repeated this that I think it's true. Interesting most people (not necessarily on here) who are suggesting it's bullshit are the same ones who are also claiming that NSWE are cutting funding and that they've given up.

It's not so much whether it is true or not that I am getting at, more that the fact the club haven't denied it doesn't really mean anything, as, well, they wouldn't, because if they did, they'd spend half their working week issuing denials, there's so much of this chatter around.

Maybe Emery will be asked at his Leicester press conference.

Online paul_e

« Reply #277 on: February 02, 2023, 10:48:58 AM »

It's not so much whether it is true or not that I am getting at, more that the fact the club haven't denied it doesn't really mean anything, as, well, they wouldn't, because if they did, they'd spend half their working week issuing denials, there's so much of this chatter around.

Maybe Emery will be asked at his Leicester press conference.

As I said, denail was the wrong word because that made it look like I was talking about a statement from the club(s) or player, I mean that some of the trasnfer experts in the press would've reported it as bullshit if they had any hint that it hadn't happened. Even those people don't comment on every story but Villa breaking our transfer record to sign one of the best young players in Spain is big enough for them to comment on.

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #278 on: February 02, 2023, 10:52:31 AM »
I think you have hit denail on the head.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #279 on: February 02, 2023, 10:54:22 AM »
The doubters have a point and argue it very well. I’m not one for speculation usually, I just thought the stories surrounding Williams (release clause of 45 million euros offered), Delofeu (£20m bid made) and Guendouzi (‘stupendous offer’) rang true for me at the time. Maybe the fact that I wanted to believe made them that little bit more convincing to me, and I also think the sources were a bit more reliable than the usual FI shite.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #280 on: February 02, 2023, 10:57:31 AM »
As I said, denail was the wrong word because that made it look like I was talking about a statement from the club(s) or player, I mean that some of the trasnfer experts in the press would've reported it as bullshit if they had any hint that it hadn't happened. Even those people don't comment on every story but Villa breaking our transfer record to sign one of the best young players in Spain is big enough for them to comment on.

It definitely would be big enough for them to comment on. Which makes you wonder, if it happened and they knew that it happened, why they didn't?

Online paul_e

« Reply #281 on: February 02, 2023, 11:02:26 AM »

It definitely would be big enough for them to comment on. Which makes you wonder, if it happened and they knew that it happened, why they didn't?

Romano did, he said a few days ago that it's more likely to happen in the summer, that was reported pretty widely at the time.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #282 on: February 02, 2023, 11:04:56 AM »
Let me try this again, people like John Percy and Fabrizio Romano have made their reputations on being right about stuff like this. If there was nothing to the idea that we had a bid accepted but the player said no people like that would report it because it would reinforce the idea that they're the people worth listening to and putting the boot in on the sources that reported it.

I freely admit I might be wrong but for this specific story I think it's far more likely to be real than not. Whereas for all the people you've listed the stories fit more neatly into general speculation.

I can't see that either of them have mentioned him at all, where did you see that they did?

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #283 on: February 02, 2023, 11:05:44 AM »
I think you have hit denail on the head.
I wood have to agree

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #284 on: February 02, 2023, 11:06:45 AM »
No need to hammer it home.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal