collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January Transfer Window - The Verdict.  (Read 69558 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: January Transfer Window - The Verdict.
« Reply #690 on: March 20, 2023, 09:41:27 AM »
Spoke to my mate today who became the first Villa fan I think I’ve ever heard ask the question ‘do we even need to buy anyone in the summer?’

People get a bit giddy and dizzy with a bit of success. I think we need 4 really excellent players to drive us on. I’m definitely keen to see how Emery incorporates some of these talented players out on loan back into things.

If I make a bunch of assumptions I think 3-4 is about right.

Assumptions:
Every player we want to keep stays.
Olsen goes.
1 of Bailey or Bert goes.
None of the loaned youngsters are ready to be regulars in the squad (I am aware this one is contentious).

Priorities (in order):
2nd striker who can also cover for Watkins if needed
Midfielder who can play wide or central, cover for the wide roles is priority
Backup goalkeeper
Right back cover (we'll need to replace Young at some point)

If young stays for another year we might be able to leave the last one to see if Kessler develops.

With the other youngsters I'd see if we can use AJ Ramsey to slowly replace Countinho or Buendia, Tim to replace Dendoncker and Archer to replace Bert or Bailey over time. I'm not sure there's anyone else who could step up over the next year.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #691 on: March 20, 2023, 09:44:11 AM »
Yes he's got quality, but Lukaku hardly strikes me as the hard working team player that Emery will surely demand?  It would feel like an incredibly expensive vanity signing to me.  Let's let Everton fall into that trap.

Or Newcastle. Anyway, I'd be very surprised if we're interested in him..

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #692 on: March 20, 2023, 11:49:55 AM »
Of the players who started on Saturday we signed Konsa, Cash, Buendia, Watkins from the Championship. Mings, Martinez and Luiz weren't 1st choice at Premier League clubs. Ramsey is homegrown. only McGinn, Bailey & Moreno were first choice from top division sides elsewhere.

That's the reason we're where we are in mid-table. But our form under Emery means we're going the right way.

This is why we need some big signings and I get the feeling we're heading the right way to start signing players who are first choice elsewhere, rather than having to take other clubs' cast-offs.

We should be signing first choice players from other top division sides to progress.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #693 on: March 20, 2023, 11:50:12 AM »
El Aston Villa sueña con Lukaku
The Spanish media seem may have a little more ITK due to the links with the managers and coaches.

It could suggest Villa are in as he's a proven striker. It wouldnt be surprising but think be gard to obtain but good to hear aiming high.
I think we're keen admirers having seen report.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #694 on: March 20, 2023, 11:53:31 AM »
Of the players who started on Saturday we signed Konsa, Cash, Buendia, Watkins from the Championship. Mings, Martinez and Luiz weren't 1st choice at Premier League clubs. Ramsey is homegrown. only McGinn, Bailey & Moreno were first choice from top division sides elsewhere.

That's the reason we're where we are in mid-table. But our form under Emery means we're going the right way.

This is why we need some big signings and I get the feeling we're heading the right way to start signing players who are first choice elsewhere, rather than having to take other clubs' cast-offs.

We should be signing first choice players from other top division sides to progress.
A combination of Chelsea, Spurs, Brighton and Forest level and style signings.
So a Felix , a Richarlison, a Mitoma and a Kaylor Navas/Aurier

That means I suggest equivalent and big European and South American international. An astute signing and an experienced signing.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #695 on: March 20, 2023, 12:02:14 PM »
Richarlison isn't the greatest example I would argue.

Online Drummond

« Reply #696 on: March 20, 2023, 12:04:11 PM »

Well he's not a first choice player from a top division, no.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #697 on: March 20, 2023, 12:05:55 PM »

I assume that he means that he was when Spurs bought him. Not that we should sign him from Spurs.

Edit - I'd also say that he's a pretty good example. Signing the best players from teams a bit lower than us in the league is a pretty sensible idea. Zaha, Maddison, Johnson, Rice (not that we'd get him) etc. Just because Richarlison has been a bit rubbish at Spurs doesn't mean we shouldn't be looking to sign that sort of player.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 12:09:11 PM by Dave »

Offline Risso

« Reply #698 on: March 20, 2023, 12:07:07 PM »

I assume that he means that he was when Spurs bought him. Not that we should sign him from Spurs.

Either way, my point stands.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #699 on: March 20, 2023, 12:24:15 PM »
I think we need to be careful about being too prescriptive with what a player 'needs to be' to be signed. From that list Martinez wasn't first choice but that didn't stop him immediately being one of the best keepers in the league and turning into the best keeper in the world shortly afterwards. Luiz was a youngster who couldn't get a work permit but is now a top 6 level midfielder (but did take longer to get there). Established first team players at top flight clubs are, generally, going to be older, on higher wages and more expensive. Just signing players like that is how you end up in the sort of mess we were after MON or where Everton are now. 1-2 players like that where we need an immediate improvement is fine but after that I'd be happy for us to go more with the Duran style signings.

Offline Risso

« Reply #700 on: March 20, 2023, 12:28:37 PM »
I think we need to be careful about being too prescriptive with what a player 'needs to be' to be signed. From that list Martinez wasn't first choice but that didn't stop him immediately being one of the best keepers in the league and turning into the best keeper in the world shortly afterwards. Luiz was a youngster who couldn't get a work permit but is now a top 6 level midfielder (but did take longer to get there). Established first team players at top flight clubs are, generally, going to be older, on higher wages and more expensive. Just signing players like that is how you end up in the sort of mess we were after MON or where Everton are now. 1-2 players like that where we need an immediate improvement is fine but after that I'd be happy for us to go more with the Duran style signings.

I think we need a few more in their mid 20s. Players who are regulars for teams in the top leagues but who still have room to improve.  We're well stocked in the promising youth player ranks, and also quite heavy in the late 20s to early 30s area.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #701 on: March 20, 2023, 12:31:49 PM »
I agree but would make an exception for Zaha on a free.

Online Baldy

« Reply #702 on: March 20, 2023, 12:39:03 PM »
Could you imagine our existing team having a Salah/Saka/Mahrez style player in Bailey's position!! Our attack would be deadly. We are not going to get any of those but we need to find the next best thing.

We need to search wide and afar for a young emerging player with all the necessary attributes that Unai can put the finishing touches too.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 12:42:10 PM by Baldy »

Online Drummond

« Reply #703 on: March 20, 2023, 12:39:43 PM »
I get your point Lee, but the reality is that we haven't signed many players at the top of their game in a high-quality league. They are, naturally, more expensive, but get the right ones, as we started being linked with in January, and that's what can allow you to maintain consistency and add that extra thing we need.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #704 on: March 20, 2023, 12:41:06 PM »

I think we need a few more in their mid 20s. Players who are regulars for teams in the top leagues but who still have room to improve.  We're well stocked in the promising youth player ranks, and also quite heavy in the late 20s to early 30s area.

Players at the sort of age, level and profile of Bailey when we signed him. The stand-out players for the Champions League chasing teams in other top leagues.

Just, y'know - a bit better than the one example that we did sign.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal