collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 10:48:41 AM]

Euro 2024 by ChicagoLion
[Today at 10:43:51 AM]

Enzo Barrenechea - nearly signed by pablo_picasso
[Today at 09:57:02 AM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Monty
[Today at 09:51:17 AM]

Lewis Dobbin by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 09:46:49 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by astonvilla82
[Today at 09:09:01 AM]

FFP by jwarry
[Today at 08:50:55 AM]

Boxing 2024 by edgysatsuma89
[June 21, 2024, 11:19:09 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Jhon Durán - signed  (Read 204631 times)

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
Re: Jhon Durán - signed
« Reply #1155 on: October 06, 2023, 08:55:06 AM »
Talent and an attitude that could go either way. A better option off the bench than Keinan Davis, but still raw.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1156 on: October 06, 2023, 08:57:04 AM »
I’ve been impressed so far.

He’s in a slightly awkward position where he must either try to copy Watkins game so it’s easy to dovetail him into the team or he needs to be afforded more ‘bad’ games to impose his strengths onto the team.

It’s a testament to him that I think he’s good enough to do either.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #1157 on: October 06, 2023, 09:00:09 AM »
I've been impressed. He's young & raw and doesn't look afraid of the huge jump from MLS to the Premier League.

He'll get better with experience. Right now he's a great impact sub, throw the cat amonst the pigeons.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1158 on: October 06, 2023, 09:39:01 AM »
He's somebody to chuck on with 20 minutes to spare. His all round game is that of an academy player, and as such he's nowhere near ready to replace Watkins.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1159 on: October 06, 2023, 09:45:45 AM »
I've been impressed. He's young & raw and doesn't look afraid of the huge jump from MLS to the Premier League.

He'll get better with experience. Right now he's a great impact sub, throw the cat amonst the pigeons.

Absolutely. If someone had said in July "Duran will have scored four goals by October including a goal-of-the-month-contender late equaliser which led to a last-minute win", people would have assumed we'd unearthed a new Benteke.

He's miles ahead of schedule.

Online kipeye

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1160 on: October 06, 2023, 10:00:15 AM »

[/quote

Absolutely. If someone had said in July "Duran will have scored four goals by October including a goal-of-the-month-contender late equaliser which led to a last-minute win", people would have assumed we'd unearthed a new Benteke.

] I agree too. He is ahead of all expectations at this time.

Offline Bully2345

« Reply #1161 on: October 06, 2023, 10:16:53 AM »
It's easy to let the late goal make it all seem better but I think Unai got it the right way round yesterday. Gave Duran a start but not afraid to make the early switch. Not sure Watkins would have had a sniff first half with that midfield but got the first team in when we were more likely to dominate.

Another 45 minutes of learning for Duran

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1162 on: October 06, 2023, 10:23:44 AM »
He's doing just fine and is only going to get better.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1163 on: October 06, 2023, 10:24:34 AM »

Yep, If he gets close to double figures this season, which is clearly possible, he'll have done brilliantly. He's big, quick, strong, has a good technique, can finish and has a 'bit of magic' but he's still very raw, some of his decision making is poor and he can drift out of games, given it a year or 2 and we should see those negatives start to drop away, if they do he'll be a top striker.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1164 on: October 06, 2023, 11:00:56 AM »
Felt sorry for him a bit last night
Unai put all the best players on second half to create more and have a go and takes him off

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1165 on: October 06, 2023, 11:38:46 AM »

That's the thing. He probably IS ahead of schedule. He wasn't brought in to walk straight into the first 11 (at least, I hope he wasn't!).  At 19, Ollie was plying his trade on loan from Exeter with Weston-Super-Mare in the Conference South.  Duran is already contributing in the first team, but he's probably still a year or so away from being a regular starter when everyone is fit.  He has all the physical attributes to be a top striker, pace, power, a great shot.  He just needs experience and to sharpen his tactical play.  Thankfully, that can coached, and he's working for someone who is excellent at getting the very best out of players.  It also doesn't hurt that they literally speak the same language.

My expectations for him for this season were pretty low, and he's already exceeding them, but let's not get to disappointed that he doesn't look ready to replace Ollie just yet.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #1166 on: October 06, 2023, 12:33:32 PM »
He is very athletic & has a touch of technique about him, albeit still very raw.

But Im undecided if he has the brain of a mushroom, or if he is just trying too hard to impress.

Then again, he does lack a bit of experience, even though he has played a lot of games in the MLS & is a full international.

Maybe its just a lack of maturity. He is 19 after all...

I am definitely undecided...
« Last Edit: October 06, 2023, 12:36:23 PM by pablo_picasso »

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1167 on: October 06, 2023, 12:38:06 PM »
Felt sorry for him a bit last night
Unai put all the best players on second half to create more and have a go and takes him off

Me too, I thought he was one of better players first half, kept hold of the ball well in some tight situations.

Offline AV84

« Reply #1168 on: October 06, 2023, 12:57:30 PM »
Side note - and I know you’re not really saying this - but Bellingham is probably one of the best players in the world. He isn’t a baseline comparison for how 19 year old players should have progress.

Absolutely not. I just think "He's only 19" isn't in itself enough of a caveat to use *if* a player isn't delivering. Some 19 year olds have already peaked and are just shit, some are brimming with potential at 19 and clearly need more time with their development. From the responses most seem to think it's the 2nd with Durán.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1169 on: October 06, 2023, 01:01:07 PM »
I thought he did alright last night but Watkins looked a lot better

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal