collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Alex Moreno - shirt stretched  (Read 56625 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Alex Moreno - shirt stretched
« on: January 09, 2023, 11:55:50 AM »
Being reported that this one is getting closer, so probably worth starting a thread. Apparently he hasn't travelled to Saudi Arabia with the rest of the squad for a cup game.

He looks a good player, but another 30 year old left back wouldn't to me, be that urgent a signing.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2023, 11:52:44 AM by martin@ardenley »

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Álex Moreno
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2023, 12:10:28 PM »
It seems a strange first signing when we already have an expensive international left back.  But Moreno is highly rated and now for the first time in a long time I have real faith in the manager, so if it's what he wants then I'm glad the club is backing him.  I just hope that it's only speculation about Maguire as that really would shake my faith.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2023, 12:11:56 PM »
It seems a strange first signing when we already have an expensive international left back.  But Moreno is highly rated and now for the first time in a long time I have real faith in the manager, so if it's what he wants then I'm glad the club is backing him.  I just hope that it's only speculation about Maguire as that really would shake my faith.
if it means we won’t see Augustine again I am all for it.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2023, 12:13:54 PM »
With Augustinsson injured and not that good based on yesterday against lower league opposition maybe it's a very good signing. I know little about him but in Emery I still have some trust.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2023, 12:14:05 PM »
I like this (assuming it happens).

I don’t think Unai rates Digne, too defensively weak. This guy is highly rated, strong both on and off the ball, speaks Spanish, will fit well into how Unai wants to play, is at his peak, and even at 29 has 4-5 good years ahead of him.

A good first step in my book.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2023, 12:16:55 PM »

I don’t think Unai rates Digne, too defensively weak. This guy is highly rated, strong both on and off the ball, speaks Spanish, will fit well into how Unai wants to play, is at his peak, and even at 29 has 4-5 good years ahead of him.

Relative buttons at today's prices as well

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2023, 12:19:39 PM »
Not sure how long it takes to get international clearance but wouldn't shock me if we started him v Leeds although Southampton away looks more realistic.

He's coming as a starter anyway given he plays every week for Betis.

Probably not a shock that yesterday has accelerated this move.

Offline Risso

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2023, 12:22:07 PM »

Wasn't one of the pluses of Emery the fact that he'd be able to get the best out of the players we already have? Digne has played for PSG, Roma and Barcelona, and has nearly 50 caps for France.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2023, 12:26:45 PM »
This guy plays at full back and on the wing I think? So my guess is that we'll perhaps see him further forward.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2023, 12:30:37 PM »
This guy plays at full back and on the wing I think? So my guess is that we'll perhaps see him further forward.

Yes Betis played a 4-4-1-1 yesterday and he started infront of their LB so guess in short term he's a signing that can simply mean we play an actual wide player in final third which is a problem currently given how the squad in that area was dismantled by previous manager.

Digne stays in for now but he's on notice so hopefully he bucks his ideas up.

Offline Risso

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2023, 12:31:08 PM »

I'd much, much rather get a proper winger, than a sometimes winger who mainly plays in defence. Hopefully we'll get both of course.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2023, 12:40:52 PM »

If he does sign I'd be expecting him to be useful for this season and next which given the price seems fair. I'd hope by then we'd be looking for better than two 31 year old left backs. Not everybody can be Ashley Young.

Online Ger Regan

• GM : 25.11.2023
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2023, 12:50:09 PM »
Know nothing about him so can't really judge, but i don't really care what order new bodies come in, as long as the obvious and pressing deficiencies are sorted by the end of jan.

Online brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2023, 01:09:29 PM »
Strange signing but Emery obviously knows him well so just have to trust his judgement. I expect Augustinson was going to be moved on this month but his injury might have put a stop to it.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2023, 01:10:43 PM »
He is highly rated in Spain & many think he is the second best LB Spain have after Gaya. Very fast & energetic. If the price is right, his age wont concern me as I don't think he will be a long term solution, despite him probably becoming the first choice LB for the now. He might be the perfect pairing with Digne before Chrisene comes of age. Either way, he has far more quality than Augustinsson & probably stronger than Digne too in the system Emery wants to play, so having two decent LBs in the squad will be far more beneficial than what we currently have.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal