collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Very, very Press-ed off. More than ever before, ever  (Read 3766 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Very, very Press-ed off. More than ever before, ever
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2023, 01:56:55 AM »
Attendance was given as Attendance: 32,343. Which either means a fair number of ST holders didn't take up their free ticket or not many non ST holders bought tickets as that attendance is lower than the away support plus our ST holders. 

Online tomd2103

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2023, 02:35:08 AM »
Attendance was given as Attendance: 32,343. Which either means a fair number of ST holders didn't take up their free ticket or not many non ST holders bought tickets as that attendance is lower than the away support plus our ST holders.

The crowd looked much bigger than that PWS.  Couldn't see the rest of the North Stand, but the other stands all looked pretty full.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2023, 05:06:02 AM »
Top of the upper North looked like a lot of empty seats on the telly but that was in second half, not sure  how late on in game it was.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2023, 05:42:04 AM »
I agree, I think this is the most humiliating result I can remember, even worse than Bradford.
There are players that I never want to see in a Villa shirt after this.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2023, 05:58:30 AM »
I agree, I think this is the most humiliating result I can remember, even worse than Bradford.
There are players that I never want to see in a Villa shirt after this.

Oh they'll grovel on Instagram and be back on Friday. They were fucking hopeless last night. Twats

Offline TopDeck113

• GM : 27.07.2023
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2023, 06:19:20 AM »
It’s been around two decades since Premier League clubs started putting out weakened sides in cup matches

In changing the culture at Arsenal, Arsene Wenger did a lot of good when it came to changing the wholesale professionalism of English football. However, I also blame him for the whole concept of playing the second string in the cup competitions.

The stupidity in others following this has been to the actual benefit of the top clubs with a never ending rotation of Mancheter United/City, Arsenal or Chelsea in the F.A. Cup finals. With the exception of Portsmouth and Wigan, it's a rarity for a mid-ranking or small town club to have an open-top bus parade.  Half a century ago, every club in the top (and indeed second) division would start January with hopes and dreams. Now most just chuck in the towel.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2023, 06:46:02 AM »
It’s been around two decades since Premier League clubs started putting out weakened sides in cup matches

In changing the culture at Arsenal, Arsene Wenger did a lot of good when it came to changing the wholesale professionalism of English football. However, I also blame him for the whole concept of playing the second string in the cup competitions.

The stupidity in others following this has been to the actual benefit of the top clubs with a never ending rotation of Mancheter United/City, Arsenal or Chelsea in the F.A. Cup finals. With the exception of Portsmouth and Wigan, it's a rarity for a mid-ranking or small town club to have an open-top bus parade.  Half a century ago, every club in the top (and indeed second) division would start January with hopes and dreams. Now most just chuck in the towel.
Honestly can't understand why any manager or player would have a shot at a piece of silverware and think "nah, that's not for me". But the team selection and effort of the players yesterday suggested both were true.

It's fair enough playing that squad if you're having an unexpectedly good run in the league, or trying to fight a relegation battle. But we're going to finish mid table this season, there's no reason not to take the cups seriously.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2023, 08:33:45 AM »
The size of the squads teams have, with the overally quality in them that's the issue and why managers want to play a second string. All the Premier League clubs have a shit ton of internationals etc. It's not like days of old where you win the league using 14 players. There are 20 of them in a kit ready to play ffs.

We played a second string, who should have been good enough, against a first team in good form. They sat in, didn't panic and we went through the training ground exercise of playing a team with 10 men behind the ball.

The squad players know that's what they are, and that they won't get another run out for a bit. Wankers.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2023, 09:08:02 AM »

You can sort of understand it when the big teams are chasing the league and playing in Europe. We're just loitering in midtable, not likely to go down and very unlikely to challenge for the European places.

Offline RichardBatchelor

« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2023, 09:15:39 AM »
If we don't announce a full strength team in next year's 3rd round I refuse to watch, that simple. I don't care if other clubs do it - we don't have to. Why do keepers need a rest? If Emi plays he probably doesn't play that pass to Dendoncker and he 95% saves the second. If Mings plays he organises the defence and we put a man on Campbell at the corner, and we're in the 4th round, and there are FIVE days to recover for Leeds, only 1 or 2 days less than any other weekend. GRRRRRR...

Offline brian green

• GM : 19.06.2020
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2023, 10:00:45 AM »
An excellent and pin sharp summary of a truly shameful performance.  I can only add that the team did not get the vocal condemnation from the crowd it absolutely deserved. I have seen and heard better games than that when you could hear the Villa Park crowd's verdict from the city centre. We booed louder when Alex McLeish was punching the air at full time for a 0-0 draw.

Online Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2023, 10:16:09 AM »
It’s been around two decades since Premier League clubs started putting out weakened sides in cup matches and in all that time I can think of hardly a single occasion when I’ve come away from the game thinking that some young lad has shown promise

Archer at Carlisle and at Chelsea?

Archer against Barrow and Chelsea.

Offline Jon Crofts

• GM : PCM
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2023, 10:17:34 AM »
I'm struggling to think of any of the Villa starting 11 who aren't current or former internationals for their respective nations?

Online darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2023, 10:27:51 AM »
Spot on Dave.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2023, 10:28:24 AM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal