collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Stan Lynn and the art of the penalty  (Read 1124 times)

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

Offline Scratchins

• GM : 19.11.2024
Re: Stan Lynn and the art of the penalty
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2022, 08:40:56 AM »
I can't recall the date, opposition or score but I was at Villa Park for a reserve game and a very young Harry Burrows played. He was fouled badly but the next time that the perpetrator was on the ball Stan raced up to him, drew his knees up double and landed on his chest. I don't think he was booked! 

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2022, 01:14:13 PM »
Stan the Wham - penalty taker supreme.

Would you want to try and stop a caser hit by a player with the kick of a mule?

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2022, 05:07:13 PM »
I saw him play as right back for Villa and as the main striker for Blues against us.He was their joint leading goalscorer in the 64-65 season  at the age of 36.
Ian St.John mentioned him as having the most powerful shot that he'd ever seen.He would have been better deployed as a central midfield destroyer,a destroyer of limbs and nets.

Offline Exeter 77

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2022, 07:21:54 PM »
Stan Lynn was before my time but I love the story of the corner routine he worked with Les Smith. Apparently Smith would pull the corner back to Lynn on edge of the area who would hit it first time and either the net would bulge or, more often, the crowd would take evasive action.

Offline tricky59

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2022, 08:35:42 PM »
Stan Lynn was before my time but I love the story of the corner routine he worked with Les Smith. Apparently Smith would pull the corner back to Lynn on edge of the area who would hit it first time and either the net would bulge or, more often, the crowd would take evasive action.

Saw that short corner routine work against Arsenal on Boxing Day 1957, an absolute rocket past Jack Kelsey in a 3-0 win. Also saw the game when he played centre forward for the Blues, another 3-0 win. Did miss the first ten minutes though by which time it was 2-0.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2022, 12:47:03 AM »
My Bluenose granddad loved Stan Lynn and would often talk about him, especially his penalties. I thought of him more as a left-back than a right-back. Is that where he played most of his career for Small Heath?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal