collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Tim Iroegbunam by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:57 AM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:04:54 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:47 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:05:56 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:57 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:04:54 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:26:18 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:10:15 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Re: Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 711591 times)

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #7170 on: November 30, 2023, 01:27:41 PM »
Random question- anyone know how many penalties we've conceded under unai? Was thinking I'm struggling to remember the last time we gave one away, which is another thing to show how disciplined our defending is

*Places bet on Bournemouth to get eleventy penalties in the game and set a new world record*

I did think it's asking for it to happen in the Bournemouth game. And we've got United away on Boxing Day night, which is bound to be another.

Offline malckennedy

« Reply #7171 on: November 30, 2023, 02:25:29 PM »
Watching the pre Legia press conference, Unai definitely stated that “hopefully I will be here a long time”. To me that is a pretty clear statement that he sees his future as being with Villa for the medium to long term. Or am I being overly optimistic?

Offline AV84

« Reply #7172 on: November 30, 2023, 02:30:16 PM »
I think the plan for all involved is a long term one. The only worry would be if the owners decide they're bored of football and sell up.

The fact they've bought multiple clubs around the world suggests they have some kind of bigger plan going on, which again doesn't seem like a short term one.

Offline Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #7173 on: November 30, 2023, 02:31:24 PM »
Normally I'd query him saying "hopefully", but in Emery's case he's probably too modest and thinks it would sound arrogant to say "I will be here for a long time".

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #7174 on: November 30, 2023, 02:59:12 PM »
I think getting sacked at Arsenal still stings.

Offline nigel

« Reply #7175 on: November 30, 2023, 08:19:12 PM »
It's often said, we are the best fit for Emery and it's so true. I'm sure he's ambitious and might one day like a crack at Real Madrid or Barcelona but the reality is he wouldn't get the run of the place in the same way as he does with us. He's in a very strong position here and getting stronger.

With him being Basque, would that mean he would be a traitor to the region if he went to one of those?

Barcelona is Catalan, not Basque.
Soz.

Yes, mate, I haven’t worded it very well, to be fair.

Just wondering if as a Basque going to one out of the region, especially Madrid or Barcelona, would feel like a betrayal?

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #7176 on: November 30, 2023, 08:57:04 PM »
It's often said, we are the best fit for Emery and it's so true. I'm sure he's ambitious and might one day like a crack at Real Madrid or Barcelona but the reality is he wouldn't get the run of the place in the same way as he does with us. He's in a very strong position here and getting stronger.

With him being Basque, would that mean he would be a traitor to the region if he went to one of those?

Soz.

Just wondering if as a Basque going to one out of the region, especially Madrid or Barcelona, would feel like a betrayal?

Probably depends on the individual. Lopetegui is Basque and has managed Spain, Sevilla and Real Madrid.

And given Emery has already managed Sevilla and Valencia amongst other Spanish sides, I don't see why managing Real or Barcelona would be any more of a "betrayal" than managing the clubs he's already managed.

Offline nigel

« Reply #7177 on: November 30, 2023, 10:03:43 PM »

Soz.

Probably depends on the individual. Lopetegui is Basque and has managed Spain, Sevilla and Real Madrid.

And given Emery has already managed Sevilla and Valencia amongst other Spanish sides, I don't see why managing Real or Barcelona would be any more of a "betrayal" than managing the clubs he's already managed.

👍

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #7178 on: November 30, 2023, 10:20:04 PM »
We've passed the 50 goal mark for the season, and 14 different goalscorers. And we aren't in December yet.

Offline Edvard Remberg

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/69507054@N00/
  • GM : 17.10.2024
« Reply #7179 on: November 30, 2023, 10:55:08 PM »
And he is not nominated for motm...

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #7180 on: November 30, 2023, 11:05:46 PM »
Watching the pre Legia press conference, Unai definitely stated that “hopefully I will be here a long time”. To me that is a pretty clear statement that he sees his future as being with Villa for the medium to long term. Or am I being overly optimistic?

Not at all. Villa offer everything he wants to build success, Barca or Franco's White shirts would demand it from the first minute. He's going no where except up with his beloved Aston Villa.

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #7182 on: December 03, 2023, 10:47:44 AM »
https://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2023/dec/02/even-if-aston-villa-slip-off-the-title-pace-unai-emery-has-shown-his-true-worth?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
I had to look up who Galba was - he''s mentioned along with Robespierre and David Moyes).

Anyway he succeeded Nero as Emporer of Rome. He lasted 7 months before being assassinated in 69AD.

Offline Baldy

« Reply #7183 on: December 03, 2023, 10:49:00 AM »
Cheers Saddvillan, a great read.

Very surprising statistic on the 'high line'. Re-assuring.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #7184 on: December 03, 2023, 11:53:04 AM »
Cheers Saddvillan, a great read.

Very surprising statistic on the 'high line'. Re-assuring.

Yes it is and I also imagine that it impacts how teams prepare to play against us knowing how efficient we are at it so they need to modify they approach.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal