collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by danno
[Today at 05:02:46 AM]

GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by beness
[Today at 04:53:32 AM]

Tim Iroegbunam by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:57 AM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:04:54 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by danno
[Today at 05:02:46 AM]

Re: GUESS THE CROWD R27; Europa Conf🏆SF VILLA v Olympiacos, Thurs 2nd May!🥧 by beness
[Today at 04:53:32 AM]

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:57 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:04:54 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:26:18 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:10:15 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 711641 times)

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #7095 on: November 26, 2023, 10:03:04 PM »
Unai and the players are more than doing their bit to get us where we want to be.

I feel we can do something for them and that is to give Unai a proper song.

We need a new song to soundtrack our season in the way Allez Allez did when we got promoted and help boost the feel good factor around the club.

I know it's hard to get one going and have it stick, but we need to try.

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #7096 on: November 26, 2023, 10:10:39 PM »
Injury ravaged Villa beat injury ravaged Spurs. Otherwise fair reporting by Matt.
Also "I have to shoehorn Chelsea in there too."

He bemusedly observed that 1982 is still sung about too.

Offline Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #7097 on: November 26, 2023, 10:24:30 PM »
Now been in charge for a whole seasons worth of matches, that hypothetical 38 game season gives a table of:

1. Man City – 86 points, +54 GD
2. Arsenal – 80 points, +42 GD
3. Aston Villa – 77 points, +27 GD
4. Liverpool – 76 points, +36 GD
5. Man Utd – 76 points, +16 GD
6. Newcastle – 70 points, + 38 GD
7. Brighton – 63 points, +19 GD

Not bad.

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #7098 on: November 27, 2023, 10:31:38 AM »
From The Athletic

Unai Emery wanted a statement victory from Aston Villa

As is customary, Aston Villa’s analysts work a match or two ahead.

Before the UEFA Conference League home game against AZ Alkmaar in early November, members of Unai Emery’s support staff were preparing for Tottenham Hotspur. Typically, Villa tend to work a game ahead, ensuring planning remains as detailed regardless of short turnarounds between fixtures.

Tottenham, subconsciously or not, have been marked on Emery’s calendar for a while. He has always preached caution in accepting his side were Champions League candidates, instead repeating the party line of “his dream” being to break into the top seven. Even if Villa actually had beaten one of those in the team seven in Chelsea, Emery would quell suggestions of anything more by pointing out that those games against Newcastle United and Liverpool ended in comprehensive beatings.

The opening day 5-1 defeat away to Newcastle was rife with caveats, while September’s 3-0 loss at Anfield left Villa still ironing out tactical malfunctions. But Emery offered no excuses, even months later.

“They were better than us; that is the reality,” Emery said. “When we lost both games, I told the players, ‘I want to reduce that distance when we play them at home’.”

Tottenham would be a true yardstick for measuring progress. Nearly three months had passed since the September international break and Villa had won more games (six) and accrued more points (19) than any other Premier League side. But sustained progress, however acclaimed, needed to be punctuated by a statement victory against those in the weight category Emery wants Villa to fight in.

They had swatted away most of the teams below but Emery wanted hard evidence.

The pressure to deliver, in some ways, was cranked up in light of Tottenham’s growing deficiencies. Head coach Ange Postecoglou was dealing with injuries and suspensions in core positions but as is his way, he is not the type to pivot on his own principles when faced with slight adversity. As it turned out, Postecoglou opted to replace his two first-choice central defenders with a back line consisting of four full-backs.

It was the afternoon of two offside traps grinding against the other, producing a game within a game and reducing the pitch, in essence, to a middle third, where balls over the top and offsides were profuse. Son Heung-min scored an offside hat-trick that felt predictable.

Between two tactically brash coaches, Emery was the more tentative. Though home form had been unerring, Villa’s record on the road was the 13th best in the league and retaining the same control proved hard to come by. Centre-back Diego Carlos came in for Youri Tielemans, offering additional defensive cover as Emery hoped to gradually work into the game, as Villa did here last season.

Although it was goalless, his players had trudged down the tunnel for half time that day believing they were getting thoroughly outclassed. Yet Emery was delighted, insisting his plan had been to soak up pressure before freeing the shackles. It enabled Villa to exploit Tottenham on transition and end up winning 2-0 with relative serenity.

This time, things were far more panicked. Destiny Udogie should have scored three minutes in after Villa’s offside trap was sprung from a simple ball over the top. Son missed headers and Dejan Kulusevski hit the post. It drew parallels to St James’ Park, just without the goals.

Tactically, Spurs were suffocating Villa and Emery’s midfield — reshaped due to the back three — could not connect the thirds together, rushing the first pass upon turnovers towards Moussa Diaby and Ollie Watkins, almost too aware of the two-v two on the break.

It dissolved any chance of control and Tottenham, even with four full-backs and four wingers, had the advantage in a game that existed within its own microcosm. It became a firefight with Tottenham’s pace and intensity throwing more flames.

Villa were wounded but such was the helter-skelter nature, retained a threat. Ollie Watkins had a goal ruled out for offside before Pau Torres did equalise just before half-time.

Both goals had, strangely, come from set plays but Emery’s thunderous reaction to Torres’ equaliser resembled a man knowing this was a seminal moment. The goal allowed his players, similar to last season, to return to the dressing room unscathed on the scoreline, regather and await new orders.

Tielemans and Leon Bailey were introduced for Diaby and Matty Cash, prompting a reshuffle. Emery explained Villa’s right side was all wrong, with moonlighting Cash as a winger, owing to the indecision. Now, he wanted Tielemans to be the passer and Bailey to be the runner. This rectified the imbalance with the two substitutes offering options to feet and in behind, halting Spurs’ success pressing from the front.

Passing became crisper and focus zoned in. The second half slowed and Tottenham, having thrown their best flames, were out of smoke. This was the time for Emery’s Villa to cross the Rubicon and dispel that they could not be considered “contenders” for Europe’s top competitions.

Panic was exchanged for patience and Villa, as Emery intended, albeit with less first-half damage, dug their way back. They were more controlled in possession, exemplified by Watkins’ winner.

Boubacar Kamara received with Spurs in their deepest block, pushing the ball into Watkins, who exchanged a give-and-go with Tielemans. It was a goal crafted from Emery’s half-time adaptation and a confidence shift compared to the losses at Newcastle and Liverpool.

Villa’s analysts clapped with encouragement towards the end, banging the table in celebration at the full-time whistle. Emiliano Martinez, who was increasingly brilliant as the match went on, sprinted towards the away end, too. As he has said before, the World Cup winner is “not here to waste time” and neither is Emery.

And while the head coach repeated the club line of “we are not contenders”, naming each side supposedly ahead of Villa, this was the game that affirmed they are, indeed, contenders.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #7099 on: November 27, 2023, 10:49:09 AM »
Lovely read, ta.

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #7100 on: November 27, 2023, 10:54:25 AM »
I'm still coming to terms with the fact that we have a manager that has a plan....a proper plan

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #7101 on: November 27, 2023, 11:25:17 AM »
Now been in charge for a whole seasons worth of matches, that hypothetical 38 game season gives a table of:

Not bad.

I'm just astounded that ManU are as close as they are.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #7102 on: November 27, 2023, 11:26:52 AM »

On his incredible 2023, Emery joked that “life goes fast”, but stressed he would not be getting carried away even though he wants his players to enjoy their position in the table.

Life goes fast...is Unai the man that Ferris Bueller became...?

One minor blot in his exercise book, when the SkySports lady told him it was the first time Villa were top four this far into a season since 2009. Emery gave a chuckle and said something like "Yeah, I did that with Arsenal, don't forget". The reporter rightly stressed, "No but Aston Villa". I guess he meant that it's not such a big deal. Can't wait til we win the treble and he'll still shrug and say we have to continue to be demanding because even though we've won everything, there are still much stronger teams than us.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7103 on: November 27, 2023, 11:48:48 AM »

Not bad.

They've still got some very good players, and they mostly seem capable of beating the dross in the league. Their current run of games has been against Everton, Luton, Fulham, Man City (battered), Sheffield United, Brentford, Palace and Burnley. That's as kind a run of games as any team is ever going to get. They've got Newcastle, Chelsea and Liverpool in their next four, let's see where they are after that.

Offline jon collett

« Reply #7104 on: November 27, 2023, 11:53:01 AM »

On his incredible 2023, Emery joked that “life goes fast”, but stressed he would not be getting carried away even though he wants his players to enjoy their position in the table.

Life goes fast...is Unai the man that Ferris Bueller became...?

One minor blot in his exercise book, when the SkySports lady told him it was the first time Villa were top four this far into a season since 2009. Emery gave a chuckle and said something like "Yeah, I did that with Arsenal, don't forget". The reporter rightly stressed, "No but Aston Villa". I guess he meant that it's not such a big deal. Can't wait til we win the treble and he'll still shrug and say we have to continue to be demanding because even though we've won everything, there are still much stronger teams than us.

I wondered that at the time but on reflection I think he thought her language was sloppy. She said something like its the first time "you" have been in top four since 2009. So he said I did it with Arsenal. then she said but Aston Villa and he said ok.

i do wish somebody at Villa would media train him not to scratch the left side of his face.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #7105 on: November 27, 2023, 12:14:18 PM »
I'm still coming to terms with the fact that we have a manager that has a plan....a proper plan

Not only that, but when the initial plan isn't working, he's capable of sorting it out during the game.

Offline AV82EC

• GM : 22.02.2024
« Reply #7106 on: November 27, 2023, 12:15:59 PM »

Not bad.

They've still got some very good players, and they mostly seem capable of beating the dross in the league. Their current run of games has been against Everton, Luton, Fulham, Man City (battered), Sheffield United, Brentford, Palace and Burnley. That's as kind a run of games as any team is ever going to get. They've got Newcastle, Chelsea and Liverpool in their next four, let's see where they are after that.

I think they’ll be more worried about us than Chelsea.

Offline SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #7107 on: November 27, 2023, 12:17:03 PM »
i do wish somebody at Villa would media train him not to scratch the left side of his face.

He can scratch it as much as he wants, as far as I'm concerned.

In fact, I'd happily do it for him.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #7108 on: November 27, 2023, 12:27:45 PM »

He can scratch it as much as he wants, as far as I'm concerned.

In fact, I'd happily do it for him.

Sometimes his right side !

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #7109 on: November 27, 2023, 12:29:31 PM »

Not bad.

For all the wailing Man Utd fans do, they're actually not a "bad" side, and have some excellent individuals. But if you listen to their fans, you'd think they were fighting relegation. They finished four points ahead of Newcastle last season. They just feel they have a divine right to success so are constantly complaining if they're not winning every game and not mounting a title challenge. City being so successful just makes them more vocal in their complaining. Man Utd fans seem to whinge FAR more than Chelsea fans, who have had a dreadful period going back a couple of years now.

They have also had a kind run of fixtures of late (same could be said for us to a certain extent), so let's see where they are in the New Year.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal