collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Edge
[Today at 07:51:24 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:47:37 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by OCD
[Today at 07:39:18 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Nev
[Today at 07:38:29 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Ian.
[Today at 07:37:07 PM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 07:36:44 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by OCD
[Today at 07:32:48 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Supporters Trust & Purslow  (Read 13837 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Supporters Trust & Purslow
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2022, 05:20:35 PM »
I'm sure I joined the trust as a life member many years ago, was sent a badge, then never heard from them again.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2022, 05:21:36 PM »
I'm still waiting for my Chipper Club badge.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #32 on: October 05, 2022, 05:23:42 PM »
I'm sure I joined the trust as a life member many years ago, was sent a badge, then never heard from them again.
Same (I think)  Can't even remember the badge.

Tbh, the trust seems entirely irrelevant now.  I'm not sure they represent the fans at all. Just the thoughts of the handful still involved.  Surely the FSG groups have more input now?

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #33 on: October 05, 2022, 05:29:03 PM »
Preece published this on the Brum Mail this morning..

"A spokesman for the Villa Trust commented: “The club’s policy would be more focused on outs for ins with transfers being more self-financing as the club could not rely on the owners - Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens - to continually fund transfers from their own pockets."

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #34 on: October 05, 2022, 05:30:47 PM »
Same (I think)  Can't even remember the badge.

Tbh, the trust seems entirely irrelevant now.  I'm not sure they represent the fans at all. Just the thoughts of the handful still involved.  Surely the FSG groups have more input now?

I agree. They had laudable aims of supporter representation, but I think in the Premier League era that's not a realistic target. The club seem to be doing the right thing with regular meetings with people like Dave from H&V and the other supporter sites, which is about as much as we can probably expect.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #35 on: October 05, 2022, 05:43:30 PM »

"A spokesman for the Villa Trust commented: “The club’s policy would be more focused on outs for ins with transfers being more self-financing as the club could not rely on the owners - Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens - to continually fund transfers from their own pockets."

This is exactly as it should be, the alternative is to turn into Chelsea/ManCity/PSG and just be a plaything unti lthe owners get bored. Self-sustainability has to be the goal for all clubs.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #36 on: October 05, 2022, 06:53:30 PM »
Yeah but we all want to see Villa win something before we die so could we not turn into those clubs just for a bit?

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #37 on: October 05, 2022, 07:33:28 PM »
Yeah but we all want to see Villa win something before we die so could we not turn into those clubs just for a bit?
What’s the matter with you, we won a game the other week didn’t we?

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #38 on: October 05, 2022, 07:48:06 PM »

This is exactly as it should be, the alternative is to turn into Chelsea/ManCity/PSG and just be a plaything unti lthe owners get bored. Self-sustainability has to be the goal for all clubs.
To be honest I was hoping our owners were up for a bit more of a punt than that.

It may be possible to sustain and elite team once you are there, in all the competitions and filling a 60k stadium, but to bridge that gap whilst balancing the books will be almost impossible.  I think we can say goodye to dreams of Poch and keeping up with Newcastle's progress if thats the philosophy already.

Online mrfuse

• GM : 28.02.2023
« Reply #39 on: October 05, 2022, 08:00:02 PM »

To be honest I was hoping our owners were up for a bit more of a punt than that.

It may be possible to sustain and elite team once you are there, in all the competitions and filling a 60k stadium, but to bridge that gap whilst balancing the books will be almost impossible.  I think we can say goodye to dreams of Poch and keeping up with Newcastle's progress if thats the philosophy already.

I agree it doesn't shout breaking into the top 7 does it?

I'd be quite happy to be some rich owners plaything. As we have seen with a lot of these Clubs when the owner does get bored theirs always another that wants to do the same again.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #40 on: October 05, 2022, 08:01:30 PM »
We just need to get better at cashing in on players who really won't improve us that much more.

Case point was just hanging onto El Ghazi needlessly after his double figures season in 20/21. Surely could've got 10-15m for him, instead he goes for peanuts.

Luiz could've gone for 20m this summer but bizarrely we seemed to casually assume he'd just sign a new deal. Perhaps we can still get 15m for him in January from Arsenal.

McGinn is someone with every passing week of a player we should've sold 12 months ago. As he nears 30 his value will start to drop (cue him signing a new 5 year deal next week).

Think if Gerrard had got all his targets we'd have sold Mings for 30m to someone like Leicester or West Ham. Can't afford to do that now.

Ollie is also in McGinn category of two years in we know what he can and can't do at prem level so optimum time to cash in rather than hand him new deal.

Rather that than having to sell our best academy prospect every summer. Won't be breaking the top bracket anytime soon if we sell Ramsey for 50m + next summer.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #41 on: October 05, 2022, 08:56:03 PM »

I agree it doesn't shout breaking into the top 7 does it?

I'd be quite happy to be some rich owners plaything. As we have seen with a lot of these Clubs when the owner does get bored theirs always another that wants to do the same again.

Like Xia?

Offline villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2022, 09:14:02 PM »

Unfortunately, self-sufficiency doesn't come easy at our current stature. First and foremost, if you have a dream of competing in Europe (and advertised as such when you took over the club) it will take significant investment until consistent success is achieved. Recently, we seem to swing and miss on players who are teetering on club record transfer fees, and have them coached up by a self-obsessed scouser who has no business managing at this level.

Self-sufficiency is very dependent on commercial revenue and we aren't even close to the market share that 5-6 clubs in this country have internationally. I think we could get there, but again, it would take consistent success and an increasingly plastic fanbase to accommodate it. Beyond that, I don't think the stadium renovations will draw any new supporters, but it will get applause from those who are already there week in and week out.

Self-sufficiency also depends on outgoing transfers.. which, for whatever reason, we seem to get right more often with our academy players but never our past purchases.

If true, for something like this to even be talked about 3½ - 4 years after the takeover is pretty underwhelming.. considering the Milwaukee Bucks annual 22/23 payroll is $185M. Milwaukee, WI isn't exactly a basketball mecca or a destination city. If a championship can be won there, than the league (or top four) can be won in Birmingham.

Personally, if we are going to force our way into the European elite or even the top 6 domestically then we will need a much better recruitment policy, continual transfer spending and infrastructure investment.

We better not revert back to a sell to buy policy. Self-sufficiency doesn't guarantee anything - look at Manure. A club that only uses funds generated from the club, until whiny fans force ownerships hand. None of us want that.

Again, to the current owners and potential future owners, move us forward or move along.

Online Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2022, 09:21:53 PM »
The thing is smart spending and appointments are needed to progress if we are to take a pragmatic approach to spending.  Unfortunately, we haven't achieved that. 

The strategy is completely opposite to what we are doing - we've appointed a "cheque book" manager, who bomb squads players who have value and replaces young talent with also rans in the squad

doesn't massively add up

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2022, 12:12:47 AM »
The next step is obviously to appoint a manager who is proven at overachieving with what he inherits and skillfully builds on that when signing 2-3 players in the following summers.

Pochettino at Southampton and Spurs is pretty much the perfect premier league example of this. Gerrard is about as far away as possible from it so it's up to the board now, get the right manager and we can accelerate back up the league after stalled progress of last year.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal