collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Unai Emery - our manager by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 12:21:32 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:19:08 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:17:29 PM]

Diego Carlos by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:14:13 PM]

Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:11:02 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by dalians umbrella
[Today at 11:49:23 AM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Somniloquism
[Today at 11:19:21 AM]

Champions League Contention by Sdwbvf
[Today at 11:06:33 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Nii Lamptey
[Today at 12:21:32 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:19:08 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:17:29 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 12:14:54 PM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Footy-Vill
[Today at 12:14:13 PM]

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Risso
[Today at 12:11:10 PM]

Re: Aston Villa vs Chelsea pre-match thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:11:02 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by KevinGage
[Today at 12:09:54 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer Transfer Thread - The Verdict.  (Read 9762 times)

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
Re: Summer Transfer Thread - The Verdict.
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2022, 11:40:37 PM »
We won't be pushing for Europe, but with the right system, coaching and motivation the squad is good enough to be securely 10th-13th. Just a question of if/when we discover those three things.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2022, 11:41:41 PM »
The signings today suggest we are trying to make us a little more defensively solid. The theory I suppose is that frees up the attacking players to do what they’re supposed to be good at. Time will tell but I can’t say I’m convinced.

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2022, 11:44:55 PM »
Hasn’t worked out as promised. Maybe we’ve tried and failed but I just don’t see how we’ll improve much with what we’ve done today. Something was needed to lift the gloom and it hasn’t happened. Let’s see what a new manager can do with this squad.

Offline OzVilla

• GM : 16.08.2023
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2022, 11:46:05 PM »
Dendonker fits well into a 4-2-3-1 formation which would work best for us but not sure Gerrard sees us as that.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2022, 11:48:53 PM »
Get rid of the manager this window and the squad are just fine. I’m pretty sure we have kept money in the safe for the next bloke.

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2022, 11:50:22 PM »
Agreed. Can’t see a change in formation either but I live in hope. If we are as open as we have been I fear for us.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2022, 11:50:51 PM »
To be honest this transfer window sums up where we are as a club. No strategy and no direction. There's clearly a complete lack of cohesion from board to CEO to Sporting director (or whatever Lange's role is) to Head Coach. This is replicated on the pitch. I'd like to see the owners take a lot more interest and review if it's just Gerrard that is the problem or most likely it's Purslow. We are going nowhere bar a relegation battle without this addressed.

On the players signed, Gerrard's profile was key in getting Kamara, Carlos and Coutinho in. I think the two today might work out ok actually. The long lost mythical number 6 issue finally addressed.

I suspect Gerrard wanted to move Mings on earlier in the summer but didn't happen, maybe the board didn't back him on it. Surprised we didn't take the cash for Luiz today, would have been one player we actually made a profit on. Poor we didn't try and move Ings on too, we need something different up front. We have a real problem as a club knowing when to move players on.

Wouldn't blame him for losing Chucky as he gave him every chance, many undeserved I felt last season. Giving away the likes of Hause, Trez, AEG, Traore for little or nothing is just poor management from the club. Still another sizeable bombsquad Guilbert, Nakamba, Sanson with no future bar being given away. It's a mess.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2022, 11:57:34 PM »
The owners have rightly refused to splash more cash until they see a return on their investment. That’s why it’s almost certain the next tsfr we make will be managerial.

I expect NSWE will invest millions again once they see the people they are paying shit loads of money, actually do the job they are paid to do.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #38 on: September 02, 2022, 12:02:52 AM »
Think it was a window that hinted at fault lines and inconsistencies within the club.

We've got the club stating ambition but not necessarily reflecting it in the business we've done - a hostage to fortune if ever there was one, particularly with a fanbase all too familiar with promises around season ticket renewal time. It's good to be smart (e.g. Kamara signing), but don't hype people up if you're not going to make a splash.

We've got the situation with Sarr - a player we walked away from but whom isn't aligned positionally with what Gerrard has been building last season and this pre-season. I also still have a nagging doubt as to who walked away from the fabled 3 decision makers and why.

And we've got the debate on the manager which is relevant in the sense that if the club truly believe he is the guy to push this club on, they either back him 100% or get rid. The business we've done seems to fall in the middle of that, which is a failure in my eyes.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2022, 12:04:29 AM by LeonW »

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #39 on: September 02, 2022, 12:06:10 AM »
The owners have rightly refused to splash more cash until they see a return on their investment. That’s why it’s almost certain the next tsfr we make will be managerial.

I expect NSWE will invest millions again once they see the people they are paying shit loads of money, actually do the job they are paid to do.

That might be the case, or Steven Gerrard may have genuinely felt that he'd done all his business in pre season, only to panic after making such a poor start.  Given our current situation, we weren't really going to be making significant last minute signings.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #40 on: September 02, 2022, 12:15:20 AM »
Coutinho, Olsen, Augustinsson, Carlos, Kamara, Dendonker and Bednarek.  A bunch rather than a planned set, with a plan and a jigsaw piece in mind. 

It's what we call down here a fish stew. A few decent bits thrown in with those that you'd never buy for dinner.
On a positive note, the flavour's great.Maybe just maybe..nah!

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #41 on: September 02, 2022, 01:08:28 AM »
Not as billed.

Lots of big talk about improvement, Europe and “upgrades” at the start of the summer, went about our early business well but then stood still while a whole bunch of clubs sailed past us. Massively underwhelming.

We were desperately unlucky with Carlos of course, but to my eye we’ve only improved the first XI by one player and have added a bunch of squad players. Stand still in this league and you go backwards - I thought we’d learned that lesson but I now have my doubts.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #42 on: September 02, 2022, 01:42:35 AM »
Do you think it really is a lack of ambition and being sold a lie about a European challenge, or could it be that Gerrard is effectively already gone and the owners are waiting until after the City game to push him. That and we probably don't have a replacement lined up yet anyway. NSWE could be playing this very astutely or it could be the blind leading the blind, we will find out soon enough.

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2022, 01:52:26 AM »
Crap, the charade that we are aiming for Europe has been exposed by a failing rookie manager and signing mid table reserves.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2022, 02:16:42 AM »
We manage to get all premiership games over here, seeing a lot of our opposition I can see that even the newly promoted sides are going to be tough games. We look so disjointed in comparison and I can only put that down to the coaching. One point of optimism is that now Luiz is staying he could turn out to be our leading goal scorer if we get enough corners.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal