collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England  (Read 156353 times)

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England
« Reply #1395 on: April 18, 2024, 10:09:21 AM »
We may look back on Dean Smith in a similar way to how many think of Vick Crowe.
A very decent man, when at a very low ebb for the Villa  set the foundations that enabled the club to go on to achieve greatness.
Heroes.

Without a doubt.

I remember when we binned off Bruce. He was doing well with Brentford, a well run club that looked like they were going places. He could have stayed there and got them up, instead he took the risk and came to us. Took us up, kept us up, got us to a cup final, signed players would take us into europe... he took us as far as he probably could, which is all you can ask of any manager.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #1396 on: April 18, 2024, 10:10:27 AM »
We may look back on Dean Smith in a similar way to how many think of Vick Crowe.
A very decent man, when at a very low ebb for the Villa  set the foundations that enabled the club to go on to achieve greatness.
Heroes.
I like the comparison - let's hope with the same outcomes in a year or two.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1397 on: April 18, 2024, 11:04:59 AM »
Heroes.

Without a doubt.

I remember when we binned off Bruce. He was doing well with Brentford, a well run club that looked like they were going places. He could have stayed there and got them up, instead he took the risk and came to us. Took us up, kept us up, got us to a cup final, signed players would take us into europe... he took us as far as he probably could, which is all you can ask of any manager.

I'm not sure he'd have got them up, 9th/10th seemed to be about their level under Dean, and I'm pretty certain leaving Brentford for Villa wouldn't be considered a risk by most managers. It took the signing of Toney who got 31 goals one season to get them up.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #1398 on: April 19, 2024, 02:18:53 AM »
The replacement for Ollie Watkins!

Online KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #1399 on: April 19, 2024, 02:29:07 AM »
Heroes.

Without a doubt.

I look back fondly on Stephen Bruce and Dean Smith.

Both played key roles in where we are today.

Nevermind Super John McGinn (enough for freedom of the city on its own), the much maligned ex Blose manager gave us a team that could win at home - regularly - for the first time in eons.

Online dcdavecollett

« Reply #1400 on: April 19, 2024, 02:47:06 AM »
I thought Bruce helped with the 'healing' process after a dismal relegation.

The celebrations with the fans at the end of the game at Bramall Lane in Jan 2018 were a turning point.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1401 on: April 19, 2024, 11:12:54 AM »
There's been pre-match interviews with Emery where he's been introduced to Dean Smith and Martin O'Neill (separately). The way Emery was in both was telling. He was a lot warmer to Deano, basically thanking him for the job he did and the foundations he had laid for him.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal