collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Demitri_C
[March 28, 2024, 10:29:02 PM]

GUESS THE CROWD R22: ASTON VILLA v Wolves, Saturday 30th March! 🥧 by ironmaidenmania
[March 28, 2024, 08:43:00 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by tomd2103
[Today at 12:47:19 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:33:09 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 12:22:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Drinking by the Ground  (Read 25780 times)

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
Re: Drinking by the Ground
« Reply #150 on: August 18, 2022, 03:23:32 PM »
I’ll be sure to go there after a visit to that Shoreditch cereal café.
They've 'evolved' into an online-only entity after the 'viral success' was killed off by COVID. https://cereal-killer-uk.myshopify.com/pages/history

There was one on the link bit between Grand Central and The Bullring. That went on to be replaced by one of those cafe's that lets fucking cats roam free around the place. Great idea, any meal is greatly enhanced by some moggy licking it's bollocks in front of you or walking away with it's tail in the air, it's pencil sharpener on full display.

My wife was given some meal vouchers for that place last year by one of her friends. Apparently the idea is that they are looking to re-home the cats so I guess that it is only likely to be people that are cat lovers that frequent the place. The vouchers are still unused.

I love cats so enjoyed that aspect. Sadly the service was slow and the food not great.

Offline nodge

• GM : 23.02.2024
« Reply #151 on: August 18, 2022, 10:42:42 PM »
I cough up a furball just walking past that place. Meks me bad.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #152 on: August 19, 2022, 06:20:32 AM »
I assumed "Cat's Arsehole" was the latest tipple that the real ale beardy weirdies were drinking.
I thought it was about Miss Deelys latest love interest.

Offline WassallVillain

« Reply #153 on: August 19, 2022, 09:50:31 AM »
This doesn't concern drinking near *our* ground, but it's relevant if you ever want to drink on the way to Millwall, Palace, Fulham, Brentford or Chelsea (depending on where you start from).

I loathe knee-jerk anti-London nonsense. It's a wonderful city that I've loved spending much of my adult life living in. These pricks are slowly killing it.

https://twitter.com/BrewDogJames/status/1559818762345500672

"Podcast studio". Fuck off.

Exactly. Pricks.
Would it be churlish of me to hope that they fail miserably?
Looking at the tweets in reply this caught my eye " I'd rather have a pint of Carling in the roughest flat roofed pub than endure this grim Disneyfication of our national pastime" Excellent stuff.
The Adventures.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #154 on: August 19, 2022, 10:30:27 AM »
This doesn't concern drinking near *our* ground, but it's relevant if you ever want to drink on the way to Millwall, Palace, Fulham, Brentford or Chelsea (depending on where you start from).

I loathe knee-jerk anti-London nonsense. It's a wonderful city that I've loved spending much of my adult life living in. These pricks are slowly killing it.

Exactly. Pricks.
Looking at the tweets in reply this caught my eye " I'd rather have a pint of Carling in the roughest flat roofed pub than endure this grim Disneyfication of our national pastime" Excellent stuff.
The Adventures.
Pedant alert !!! The Ads had an apex roof. Just saying.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #155 on: August 19, 2022, 10:45:50 AM »
Something positive on twitter about Brewdog for a change.  Not that that particular place is somewhere I'd like to go even though some of the beer they offer is very nice.  I haven't been in a Brewdog pub for years, don't think I'm missing anything.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #156 on: August 19, 2022, 11:03:47 AM »
Something positive on twitter about Brewdog for a change.  Not that that particular place is somewhere I'd like to go even though some of the beer they offer is very nice.  I haven't been in a Brewdog pub for years, don't think I'm missing anything.

I met an old workmate in the one on John Bright St a few years ago, before I was aware of the bellend that owns it and the whole thing. The beer was good and we had these large battered chicken wings in a hot sauce that were bloody lovely, it has to said.

Not been back since though.

Offline WassallVillain

« Reply #157 on: August 19, 2022, 02:21:43 PM »

Exactly. Pricks.
The Adventures.
Pedant alert !!! The Ads had an apex roof. Just saying.
I knew that.  I Went in there loads but in nearly every aspect of it’s construction it resembled the above description and it was rough Even at midweek lunchtime drinking.

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #158 on: November 07, 2022, 01:09:25 PM »
I was in the Villa Tavern yesterday and sad to hear that unless there's a new buyer the place is closing after the Boxing Day fixture.

Offline The Edge

« Reply #159 on: November 08, 2022, 07:53:44 AM »
I was in the Villa Tavern yesterday and sad to hear that unless there's a new buyer the place is closing after the Boxing Day fixture.
Yes that's true. It's all down to the brewery I'm afraid. Promises not kept like getting the heating fixed for example and the prices they charge for the beer makes it impossible to earn a living wage. The only option would be a big price hike which would drive what's left of the custom away. Unless the brewery make such concessions I'd be surprised if anyone else takes it on. They have already had cash offers for the building which they may well accept but it wouldn't a pub anymore.

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #160 on: August 20, 2023, 11:17:35 AM »
The Safe Harbour now charge £2 entry

Offline VillaTim

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #161 on: August 20, 2023, 04:27:25 PM »
FFS used to love going in the Villa Tavern. Another piece of history gone

Offline SaddVillan

• 1000 ft up in the hills gazing down on Manchester
« Reply #162 on: August 20, 2023, 05:25:12 PM »
Yes that's true. It's all down to the brewery I'm afraid. Promises not kept like getting the heating fixed for example and the prices they charge for the beer makes it impossible to earn a living wage. The only option would be a big price hike which would drive what's left of the custom away. Unless the brewery make such concessions I'd be surprised if anyone else takes it on. They have already had cash offers for the building which they may well accept but it wouldn't a pub anymore.

Might be a good idea to have a fire engine parked up outside

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #163 on: August 20, 2023, 05:44:00 PM »
FFS used to love going in the Villa Tavern. Another piece of history gone

Villa Tavern still open.

Offline FrankyH

• GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #164 on: August 20, 2023, 06:51:39 PM »
The Safe Harbour now charge £2 entry