collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Robin Olsen by colin69
[Today at 12:49:46 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:49:01 AM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by adrenachrome
[Today at 12:48:40 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:48:25 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:44:19 AM]

Re: Diego Carlos by Drummond
[Today at 12:42:58 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Chris Harte
[Today at 12:42:08 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by john2710
[Today at 12:41:53 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 280209 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #150 on: June 25, 2022, 12:42:40 PM »
The star is an embarrassment.
It signifies we won the top club competition in Europe, arguably the world at a time you had to be a league champion to do so. There is literally nothing embarrassing about it. You could argue for or against it on the badge but embarrassing? Not in the least.
Yup

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #151 on: June 25, 2022, 12:57:34 PM »
I'm so embarrassed that we won the European Cup. ☹️

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #152 on: June 25, 2022, 01:02:09 PM »
To be honest I’m just glad the new owners and the club are looking at changing the crest again so early on in the reign
I really don’t like the current one it’s very bland And abbreviates the greatest name in world football

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #153 on: June 25, 2022, 01:13:24 PM »
Like with so many things that happened in that time, it was a really poor job done on the badge/crest.

I don't think winning the European Cup is an embarrassment but the desperation to shoehorn a star into the design any way possible is a little bit small-time and something more like what we would ridicule certain clubs for (though it wouldn't be the European cup in their case).

We have a tradition of being classy about the way we do things. There are ways of celebrating our successes and acknowledging our history. I don't think we need to include a star as part of our identity to do that.

I would rather our club be run in such a way that it's always looking to win the next trophy than fixating on successes that fewer and fewer members of our fanbase will remember.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #154 on: June 25, 2022, 01:23:43 PM »
Like with so many things that happened in that time, it was a really poor job done on the badge/crest.

I don't think winning the European Cup is an embarrassment but the desperation to shoehorn a star into the design any way possible is a little bit small-time and something more like what we would ridicule certain clubs for (though it wouldn't be the European cup in their case).

We have a tradition of being classy about the way we do things. There are ways of celebrating our successes and acknowledging our history. I don't think we need to include a star as part of our identity to do that.

I would rather our club be run in such a way that it's always looking to win the next trophy than fixating on successes that fewer and fewer members of our fanbase will remember.

It's unfair to say what was being done at the time was poor - on the contrary, there were some genuinely good and groundbreaking ideas happening then, before it all turned to shite. I didn't agree with the star then just as I don't now, but again in the context of the era it was understandable. We'd had 25 years of ignoring it, we were starting to make amends and the fashion of the time was to find a reason to put a star on your badge. It was an easy and populist fix. 

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #155 on: June 25, 2022, 01:31:06 PM »
Round badge with Aston Villa on it and a Star.

Ideally I'd like 'Founders of the Football League' written underneath.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #156 on: June 25, 2022, 01:49:00 PM »
Think badges are very much a product of their times. Not against going back to the round badge, but can't help feeling we ought to focus on being at the cutting edge of design - as the round badge was when we first used it (hence UEFA copying it). I'm not sure where that is, but I'd be looking towards an emblem that could be subtly animated, one that works with our without "Aston Villa" written beside it, and one that would be obviously our badge with just the lion on it's own (much like Arsenal could just put the cannon or Wolves could put their dog face on).

If it's possible to incorporate elements of our history in to that, great. If not, I'm not arsed. We should be looking forward, not back.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #157 on: June 25, 2022, 01:49:00 PM »
I'd rather  base the new crest on the one we had in the 90s.  Glad they're committed to binning the current one though.  It's awful, looks cheap and you get the impression Lerner knocked it up with a packet of crayons one afternoon

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #158 on: June 25, 2022, 01:49:57 PM »
I've been in the round badge camp for years but I'm definitely warming to the idea of a simple rampant lion, Aston Villa below and a star above. That would look pretty smart.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #159 on: June 25, 2022, 01:51:36 PM »
The star is an embarrassment.

It signifies we won the top club competition in Europe, arguably the world at a time you had to be a league champion to do so. There is literally nothing embarrassing about it. You could argue for or against it on the badge but embarrassing? Not in the least.

It is embarrassing. We were that desperate to shoehorn it in we put it inside the crest and made it lopsided. And that's not taking into account how small it makes us look. It smacks of an inferiority complex honestly.

So do Forest have an inferiority complex? How about Ajax, Bayern, OM, Juventus, Borussia Dortmund, AC Milan, Inter, Benfica etc?

Forest are the only other English club that does this for the EC which says something yes.

Most of those other countries have rules in place for awarding stars and is more of a tradition. They don't just place it inside their badge even if it looks shit just to shout about their achievement.

Is what i think. Plus the first people to start going on about stars were Tim Lovejoy and friends.

Cheers Dave 👍

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #160 on: June 25, 2022, 02:03:52 PM »
I don't think a star should be incorporated into our crest. If we can't have it above, then leave it. I don't give a toss about 'prepared' (meaningless), '1874' (who cares?) or 'F.C.' (of course we are).

We are the old boys of English football. We have the heritage, the class, the pedigree, the colours, the name. 'Aston Villa' and the lion is enough. It SHOULD be a marketing dream. We're the original 'superclub', down on our luck in recent years but fighting back.

We're the Villa. 'Nuff said.

Prepared is a motto that means what it says.

1874, you should care, you talk of us being the' old boys, the heritage' yet want to chuck away an identifier of that?

Our name is our currency. I don't think we need 'prepared' or 1874 on the crest because I don't think those things communicate anything in particular about the spirit of the club. SHA have 1875 on theirs, but it doesn't make them any less shit.

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
« Reply #161 on: June 25, 2022, 02:25:43 PM »
Is that their record attendance?

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #162 on: June 25, 2022, 02:45:50 PM »
I don't think a star should be incorporated into our crest. If we can't have it above, then leave it. I don't give a toss about 'prepared' (meaningless), '1874' (who cares?) or 'F.C.' (of course we are).

We are the old boys of English football. We have the heritage, the class, the pedigree, the colours, the name. 'Aston Villa' and the lion is enough. It SHOULD be a marketing dream. We're the original 'superclub', down on our luck in recent years but fighting back.

We're the Villa. 'Nuff said.

Prepared is a motto that means what it says.

1874, you should care, you talk of us being the' old boys, the heritage' yet want to chuck away an identifier of that?

Our name is our currency. I don't think we need 'prepared' or 1874 on the crest because I don't think those things communicate anything in particular about the spirit of the club. SHA have 1875 on theirs, but it doesn't make them any less shit.

Only reason for me to have 1874 on the badge would be for the 150th anniversary, but only for that season.  Long term I don't think it's particularly relevant

Offline Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #163 on: June 25, 2022, 02:59:30 PM »
I'd rather  base the new crest on the one we had in the 90s.  Glad they're committed to binning the current one though.  It's awful, looks cheap and you get the impression Lerner knocked it up with a packet of crayons one afternoon after a night on the piss
Close

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #164 on: June 25, 2022, 03:06:51 PM »
Is that their record attendance?

Chortle.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal