collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Life without the Lions  (Read 1839 times)

Offline RamboandBruno

Re: Life without the Lions
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2023, 10:21:06 AM »
I think it is an amazing achievement for want of a better word that John had a season ticket for so long, at the grand old age of 49 i hope I have another 30 odd years left to get anywhere near this.

There is a lot of truth i feel within the article, the influence of TV money, us being seen as consumers rather than loyal supporters. There was something on the radio recently about many football supporters not being optimistic about the future of football in general, largely related to issues which John highlights.

I also think though there is quite a lot of bitterness in the article that i don’t share. Criticising absent owners, fine, but were things really better with Doug being there every day? A tinpot European Cup? We’ve won the League Cup twice in the last 40 years, the chance of winning anything excites me greatly and it seems misplaced arrogance to dismiss this.

The world changes continually and football with it, lots of this is for the worst, society and football, but lots is better as well. I look back to my first visits to Villa Park in the early 80s and onwards with huge nostalgia, but if I step out of that nostalgia for a moment, I wouldn’t really want my kids to be standing getting pushed and shoved on the Holte, in a half empty stadium, straining their eyes through the fences caging them in and wondering if it was going to kick off with opposing fans on the way home after the game.

We all have to suspend reality to the financial realities of football when supporting our own clubs, because when it comes down to it as adults we want the same things we wanted as kids, notably Villa to win. We now have a serial winner in charge with some very very good players. If John can’t get excited about that then it probably is the right decision to call it a day, which is sad after a lifetime of loyal support.

Offline Witton Warrior

• GM : Feb, 2014
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2023, 11:23:08 AM »
I recognise the feelings that John is relating. My take has always been that I love Villa and the football comes second. Falling out of love with the game is a common theme these days and there seems to be little chance of a return to the elements that made me spend so much time, effort and money to watch the Villa. The sport-washing of despotic states, the "Big 6" pulling up the ladder, paying for the privilege of being a bit-part player to a "spectacle" for TV companies etc etc. It may be age-related but there seem to be more important things in life these days than going through some long-winded process to get a ticket to a football match. Last season was the first time since 1974 that I have not attended a single match at VP. Did I miss it? Sure but not as much as I used to.
I want Villa to go from strength-to-strength and do it in an ethical and progressive manner but most of all I want to part of it again.

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2023, 12:03:31 PM »
What a great read. I wish we could go back to Saturday games and being a shareholder but as with everything, things move on I suppose even though they aren’t always for the better.
It’s such a shame that such a loyal Villa man has had to give it up. We should value supporters like this, I certainly do.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2023, 12:10:34 PM »
What a great read. I wish we could go back to Saturday games and being a shareholder but as with everything, things move on I suppose even though they aren’t always for the better.
It’s such a shame that such a loyal Villa man has had to give it up. We should value supporters like this, I certainly do.
Yes, well said.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2023, 01:18:58 PM »
There was something very comforting about travelling home from Villa Park on a Saturday listening to all the results and shortly afterwards getting the sports argus to check the pools coupon, no computers or mobile phones, i'm of the same generation and I know exactly where he's coming from. UTV.

Offline bill

« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2023, 03:29:42 PM »
Well, I’ve been attending VP for 56 years, and still love it. Yes things have changed, what hasn’t. The game was closer to the fans, and more romantic for it. But come kickoff and those Claret and Blue shirts enter the arena, I still feel the same passion I did all those years ago. Guess it’s not just the game that changes over time, but some peoples perceptions too.

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2023, 03:42:08 PM »
Well, I’ve been attending VP for 56 years, and still love it. Yes things have changed, what hasn’t. The game was closer to the fans, and more romantic for it. But come kickoff and those Claret and Blue shirts enter the arena, I still feel the same passion I did all those years ago. Guess it’s not just the game that changes over time, but some peoples perceptions too.

This is true. My formative Villa years were those Saturday kick-offs, plentiful number 11 buses, home in time for the Argus years, along with the actively sought out white knuckle away games. My kids have had none of that - it’s all FIFA and Messi v Ronaldo for them, but they’re still Villa-mad and gagging to go to games.

Also, a lot more people from different demographics like football now, which is why it’s so bloody hard to get in. Grrr…
« Last Edit: July 02, 2023, 03:44:13 PM by Percy McCarthy »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal