collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Super Villans BT 82 Doc  (Read 15642 times)

Offline dcdavecollett

Re: Super Villans BT 82 Doc
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2022, 01:25:24 AM »
The Gary Williams thing always gets me. After all the games he played for us, I don't think I ever saw him being interviewed once!

He was a fine player, in at least three different positions.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2022, 01:29:00 AM »
Further to this, wasn't he the only player to take part in the final not to be interviewed?

Offline purpletrousers

• GM : 25.04.2024
« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2022, 02:07:24 AM »
On a slight tangent I got to spend yesterday evening in Truro with Peter Withe and the Cornwall Lions. Peter was a lovely chap and also bought along a replica of the European Cup for photos etc.

Great stuff. Had a lovely night with him & the London Lions back in 2018.
I just watched the rest of the BT doc.
Sitting hear very moist eyed.
Thanks again to the one that made it accessible to me, the documentary that is. Much appreciated Gerrin.

That makes me think of how my Dad and how he did that for everything, to have had ST for these years, to have been at all the big occasions. The tear gassing of families in Paris yesterday etc, it reminds me of how unexpected that sort of thing is now, and in a way how known a thing it was back then. I remember being terrified getting knocked off sitting on a crash barrier in the Clock End, but beyond that I can't remember us having too many problems. Thank goodness my Dad did a bit of positive risk taking as it'd be seen then and took me along. Life is chaos with little kids etc, but all being well we'll be off to the childhood haunt of Pembrokeshire with my old folks in 5 weeks. I think I need to ensure I get chance for some proper reminiscing with my Dad one evening, maybe watching again.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2022, 10:02:08 AM »
Those dogs with their handlers/Dutch police at the edge of the pitch was a grim reminder of how football crowds were policed back then.

Offline Pokitren

« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2022, 10:38:51 AM »
Those dogs with their handlers/Dutch police at the edge of the pitch was a grim reminder of how football crowds were policed back then.

Back then the fans were a little more aggressive, in my opinion, weren't they?

Today, football crowds are not as heavily controlled, but the responsibility has been placed on the clubs.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2022, 01:02:26 PM »
When we disembarked in Ostend in 1982, we were shunted in a long column through a series of corridors that to my knowledge wasn't the main ferry terminal until we reached the coaches to take us to Rotterdam lined up dockside. 

These corridors, from memory, had a couple of double swing doors in them.  At each point there was two Belgian coppers, one was a dog handler and the other had a sub-machine gun which he had no problem pointing at us and no doubt been equally as happy to use on us had he felt the need arise.  Scary.  Anyone else remember that?

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #111 on: June 03, 2022, 12:50:17 PM »
On BT Sport 2 tonight at 9pm

Offline clash city rocker

« Reply #112 on: June 03, 2022, 04:46:41 PM »
I remember coming back we were herded into what looked like an old warehouse in either Dunkirk or calisthenics. We managed to escape and have a great night on the piss.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal